Is this Truism True?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Truism True?

A very cultured old gentleman once told me there was a saying that, "When a culture is in its ascension, the lower classes try to emulate the upper classes. When a culture is in decline, the upper classes imitate the lower classes."

What he meant was that in a rising society, the poor try to better their lives and their children's lives by placing a high value on education, and by trying to dress and learn speak like the wealthy and influential members of society.

In a declining society, education is not valued, language deteriorates and even the wealthy and priveledged imitate the speech, dress and behavior of the poor and uneducated members of society.

Setting aside for the moment whether or not it's decent or politically correct to think in terms of "classes", is there any historical evidence that this is true? I know the first part happened with immigrants and pioneers in American history. I see something like the second part happening now, with the influence of gangsta style in language and popular culture, but are there any examples of it happening in other societies in the past?

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Re: Is this Truism True?

There are all sorts of examples - it happened in Rome on several occasions. Equally so in the UK once or twice during the Pax Britannica. Examples also exist in France pre-Revolution - though not immediately so.

However, to say that it is a truism is false.

More like a fashion fad, of which there are all types and all manner of timing.

As for gangsta, I'd look a bit further back.

Was fashion in the '70s and '80s driven by Gucci?

I think not.

Comment

Re: Is this Truism True?

Thanks, c1ue. Sorry I didn't see your post until now. Much appreciated!

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Working...
      X