this was originally stimulated by the announcement that the region of sicily is broke, and is likely to be taken over by the italian central gov't.

this process is occurring worldwide. regions are hurt by cutbacks in subsidies from national gov'ts. this is happening in italy, spain and in the u.s. similarly, in the u.s., localities are pressured by cutbacks in subsidies from their state gov'ts. in europe, nations are pressured by austerity imposed from above, generating centrifugal forces toward breakup. in belgium, stricture generates centrifugal force towards break-up. in the u.s., political polarization and stalemate paralyze fiscal policy. so stricture at one level causes stricture at the next level down, and tends to shake the system apart.

in the e.u., pressures on national gov'ts are transmitted to demand action at the eurozone level, whether for political and fiscal integration [ever so slowly] or from the e.c.b. [like pulling teeth]. the eurozone tries to generate rescue/action globally from the imf, or the creditor brics. and the ecb draws on swap lines from the fed. strictures at one level generates pressure for action/rescue/further integration from the next level up, pushing to link the system together more tightly.

italy will take over the regional gov't of sicily, and no doubt in the process will assume responsibility for their debts. will the u.s. bail out california? not anytime soon.

the global political-economic system is at every level subject to ever-increasing both centrifugal and centripetal forces. meanwhile, the monetary system is subject to ever-increasing both deflationary and inflationary forces. my thought is that the deflationary forces are centrifugal- each for himself and god for all. the centripetal forces of integration seem to require inflation to become actualized.

i'm groping for some theory here, and this is not fully thought out, but i thought i'd post it to see if it generates any feedback, clarification, or other ideas.