Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Under-reported Story Today?

USDA: America experiencing biggest disaster in history

More than half of the United States hosts areas considered natural disaster sites by the US Department of Agriculture following a ravaging dry spell that has left more than 1,000 counties in 26 different states destroyed.

The USDA says droughts and fires are to blame for their recent labeling of much of the US as being in a state of natural disaster. Among those effected by damage, reports Bloomberg News, are around one-third of the country’s farmers, which contributes in making this declaration the largest ever of its kind by the Department of Agriculture.

“Agriculture remains a bright spot in our nation’s economy,” Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack tells the country this week in an official statement. “We need to be cognizant of the fact that drought and weather conditions have severely impacted farmers around the country.”

States that contain the 1,016 counties considered natural disaster sites include California, Texas, Illinois, Florida and Hawaii, to name a few. More than half of the Midwest region — the heartland of America’s agriculture community — is currently experiencing moderate to extreme droughts.

“When you are one of the biggest agricultural-producing states in the nation, a monumental drought causes enormous losses,”
    Bryan Black, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Agriculture, tells Bloomberg. “The disaster-relief assistance from USDA will help Texas farmers and ranchers recover from devastating losses.”

Others aren’t so optimistic with so much damage already done, though. “Farmers and ranchers are at the mercy of Mother Nature,” Kansas Governor Sam Brownback says in a statement. Brownback’s state produced 8.2 billion in crops in 2010, but with harsh weather ravaging yields this year, Kansas expects a massive drop.

Corn, the top cash crop in the United States, has been largely affected by the harsh weather as of late. Around 40 percent of America’s corn supply is only in good or excellent condition as of this past weekend, down from 48 percent only days earlier. The soybean, America’s other top agriculture crop, is also being largely destroyed.

The USDA will formally declare the 1,000-plus counties natural disaster sites in a statement on Friday.

http://rt.com/usa/news/usda-disaster...e-natural-075/

Re: Most Under-reported Story Today?

This is very concerning. It is the last thing the world needs in a time such as ours.

Comment

I wonder why it isnt hitting the nightly news circuit?

Comment

Originally posted by ProdigyofZen View Post
        I wonder why it isnt hitting the nightly news circuit?
        Now that I have read a little more into it, even with the dramatic losses brought on by the drought, the US is still expecting a banner year for crops somewhere in the third largest ever. So as far as agricultural output year-on-year, this isn't as grave as it would seem. Even so, there is going to be an upward pressure on food prices and significant losses endured by farmers.

Comment

Its been on the news. People just have a short attention span today and the news outlets know they have to keep something more exciting and sensational going or they lose viewers. Here in GA the drought has lifted and we are finally getting consistent rain. Hopefully the rest of the US is not too far behind.

Comment

Originally posted by flintlock View Post
            Hopefully the rest of the US is not too far behind.
            Over here, we had a few weeks of drought, but now we have had weeks of rain and only more storms in sight. Looks like the entire month of July will see storms every day.

Comment

Originally posted by BadJuju View Post
              Over here, we had a few weeks of drought, but now we have had weeks of rain and only more storms in sight. Looks like the entire month of July will see storms every day.
              I had to work on a dock yesterday, felt like fall. Saved my life . ( Dock was 100 yards down a steep hill). In typical humid GA July weather, They probably would have found me dead, floating in the lake.

Comment

Originally posted by flintlock View Post
                I had to work on a dock yesterday, felt like fall. Saved my life . ( Dock was 100 yards down a steep hill). In typical humid GA July weather, They probably would have found me dead, floating in the lake.
                only if ya didnt shutoff the juice first... ;)

but seriously - the news of drought is likely being downplayed because its bad news and we dont wanna have any bad news tween now and november, no sireee bob. (that would make it sound like INFLATION was about to launch and then how could more QE/printing be ok'd ?)

now if this same sitch had been occurring in say, oh... 2008?

THE HEADLINES WOULD HAVE BEEN H U G E

since that was when it was ALL BAD NEWS ALL THE TIME

but ignore the fact that we're consuming whats left of our rapidly dwindling topsoil so that 30-40% of the corncrop can be converted to roadfuel/ethanol
                we'll just ignore that....

Comment

Originally posted by lektrode View Post

but ignore the fact that we're consuming whats left of our rapidly dwindling topsoil

The issue of top soil is definitely a concern; however, top soil is a renewable resource. There are a lot of techniques for regenerating it quickly. And the one I am most interested in is biochar to convert soil into terra preta. If you did not know, terra preta is ultra-fertile soil. That could be very, very interesting in the years to come.

Comment

When it comes to food(and specifically food inflation) I tend to put the blinders on when it comes to the following:

Food prices rise 50% in the first world(bringing food costs from say 10 to 15% of average income), people complain.

Food prices rise 50% in the 3rd/4th world(bringing food costs from 50 to 75% of average income), people die and governments fall.

Comment

Originally posted by BadJuju View Post
                      The issue of top soil is definitely a concern; however, top soil is a renewable resource. There are a lot of techniques for regenerating it quickly. And the one I am most interested in is biochar to convert soil into terra preta. If you did not know, terra preta is ultra-fertile soil. That could be very, very interesting in the years to come.
                      Donw in Uruguay NO ONE plows up their fields every year unless they are doing a crop like onions or potatoes. Everyone is into no-till farming and allowing all the stubble to rot onto the field. It is slowly starting to gain acceptance here in the US. the less youtill, the less topsoil you lose.

Originally posted by lakedaemonian View Post
                      When it comes to food(and specifically food inflation) I tend to put the blinders on when it comes to the following:

Food prices rise 50% in the first world(bringing food costs from say 10 to 15% of average income), people complain.

Food prices rise 50% in the 3rd/4th world(bringing food costs from 50 to 75% of average income), people die and governments fall.
                      I wonder how these food prices keep going up when there is (supposedly) no shortage of food?

Comment

Originally posted by d&g
                        I wonder how these food prices keep going up when there is (supposedly) no shortage of food?
                        Because in the real world, supply isn't the only factor in prices.

Devaluation of the denominators - i.e. currencies - is ongoing.

Comment

Every year this crap comes out. It may be real this time, but I think I will ignore the wolf this time; I have no need of Wall Street's paper corn and wheat futures.

2010 Food Crisis Means Financial Armageddon
                          http://www.infowars.com/2010-food-crisis-means-financial-armageddon/

How Far is the US From Food Shortages and Food Riots?

http://afteramerica.wordpress.com/2009/10/16/how-far-is-the-us-from-food-shortages-and-food-riots/

Food Shortages And Global Economic Riots In 2011!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbGdsTF0abQ

How Far is the US From Food Shortages and Food Riots?

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/04/12/18492403.php

Comment

Originally posted by c1ue View Post

+1

Comment

Originally posted by c1ue View Post

rhetorical remark. i should have put up a smiley or face plant with it.

At least you can now see why i went into farming...

Comment

Working...
                              X