everything about Santorum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• everything about Santorum

A few people have told me recently that Santorum wants a theocracy. Since he is catholic,

I take that to mean he wants to prohibit abortion and is against gay rights.

Could people please comment on this and post some good reference articles?

Re: everything about Santorum

Originally posted by Polish_Silver View Post
    A few people have told me recently that Santorum wants a theocracy. Since he is catholic,

I take that to mean he wants to prohibit abortion and is against gay rights.

Could people please comment on this and post some good reference articles?
    Santorum wants what the other politicians want: power.

The idea of a theocracy is more far fetched to me that the idea of an atheocracy imposed by the Left. (Read the ramblings of
    mesyn191 to see how they could muster the votes.)

Santorum is NOT a Conservative. He's a corrupt version (NeoCon) like almost all present day Republicans. He's a BIG spender and a gross compromiser on even his moral points. (Specter for Senator.) He's also not very smart.

I am totally and unequivocably opposed to procured abortion. Period. But I don't want to see a theocracy of ANY type. The Church has not only been ill-served whenever she jumped into bed with Caesar, she has been terribly damaged by it. What I would like to see is the repeal of bad "law": the judicial activism and supreme arrogance of a Court that pulls an imaginary right out of the Constitution and then uses said "right" to strike down the laws of forty-six (46) states. The issue of abortion should be left where it was - to the states.

There is a perfectly acceptable way to get this "right" should you believe it necessary: amend the Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Raz View Post
      Santorum wants what the other politicians want: power.

The idea of a theocracy is more far fetched to me that the idea of an atheocracy imposed by the Left. (Read the ramblings of
      mesyn191 to see how they could muster the votes.)

Santorum is NOT a Conservative. He's a corrupt version (NeoCon) like almost all present day Republicans. He's a BIG spender and a gross compromiser on even his moral points. (Specter for Senator.) He's also not very smart.

I am totally and unequivocably opposed to procured abortion. Period. But I don't want to see a theocracy of ANY type. The Church has not only been ill-served whenever she jumped into bed with Caesar, she has been terribly damaged by it. What I would like to see is the repeal of bad "law": the judicial activism and supreme arrogance of a Court that pulls an imaginary right out of the Constitution and then uses said "right" to strike down the laws of forty-six (46) states. The issue of abortion should be left where it was - to the states.

There is a perfectly acceptable way to get this "right" should you believe it necessary: amend the Constitution.

I appreciate you saying this, Raz. Speaking as someone who belongs to a minority religion (Sikh), theocracies scare the heck out of me.

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Sen. Bob Kerrey said it best: "Santorum: Latin for asshole."

Comment

But wouldn't he be fun to watch him go against Obama

Comment

congratulations, I see you got the eternal newbie tag

Yes the left always get church and state wrong. It's not about nativity scenes in a public square. It's about state powers of taxation, and imprisonment etc being granted to the church either directly or indirectly.

Comment

Santorum is the Huckabee of 2012. An excellent way to fragment the voters via religion, as opposed to the immediately relevant issues like the economy.

Chris Christie, governor of New Jersey, said it best: (I'm reciting from memory so the words are almost certainly not the same, but the gist is accurate I think.)

The Republican nomination process in 2012 is the worst decision by the Republican National Committee in 50 years, and that is a high bar. You always re-fight the last campaign, and in the last campaign it was thought by some that McCain was chosen too early, hence this one and a half year circus.

The problem is that in 2008, the Presidency was open. In that context, a more open selection process makes sense. In 2012, however, there is an incumbent President.

Obama is just sitting there, above the fray, while the various Republicans spend all their time and effort and money shooting at each other. We should be focusing on Obama.

The other problem with this long selection process is that since all the candidates are nearly identical, the issues devolve to the most peripheral ones.

Comment

Originally posted by charliebrown View Post
                congratulations, I see you got the eternal newbie tag

Yes the left always get church and state wrong. It's not about nativity scenes in a public square. It's about state powers of taxation, and imprisonment etc being granted to the church either directly or indirectly.
                I didn't even notice till you mentioned it. Thanks, FRED!

Agree with you about Church and State.

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Working...
                X