No announcement yet.

Its better to rent than buy - always: Arzaga of Cornerstone Wealth Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its better to rent than buy - always: Arzaga of Cornerstone Wealth Management

This is probably going a bit too far, but at least refreshing in honestly assessing overall home ownership costs.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81E1LG20120215

The founder and CEO of Cornerstone Wealth Management, who bought the 5,000 sq. ft. property in 2005 for $1.8 million and has spent $500,000 improving it, considers the abode a wonderful place for his family. But ask him to rate his home -- or any home, for that matter -- as a financial investment, and Arzaga balks.

"It's the American Dream to own a home, but whoever said that didn't do the analysis on it," says Arzaga, knowing he's taking a contrarian stance to conventional wisdom.

Examining 250 properties around the U.S., and going through close to 40 client files to project the financial impact of owning real estate versus liquidating it, Arzaga, an adjunct professor in personal finance at the University of California at Berkeley, found that, "100 percent of the time it was better to rent, rather than own."

That's right: 100 percent.

The reason is simple. While a home is the main repository of wealth for many Americans, it comes with numerous hefty expenses. The carrying costs - what's needed to hold and maintain the asset - range from property taxes and home insurance to emergency repairs and renovations. In a rental situation, the landlord covers those costs, leaving the occupant free to invest revenue in other areas.

"I don't have the emotions a lot of people do surrounding real estate," Arzaga says. "I have steely eyes for how investing in real estate works, and I'd better be a prudent investor for my clients."

Owning a dream home, he says, creates a drain on other financial priorities, causing homeowners "not to meet their financial goals. They were going to fail."
    Some real estate experts thought there was some truth to Arzaga's argument, albeit with several conditions.

"To state that owning a home is or isn't a good investment is too simplistic," says Jeffrey Rogers, president and COO of Integra Realty Resources. "It depends. In times of relatively higher rents, low home values, and low interest rates, it makes sense to own a home. But in a reverse market, it wouldn't be economically feasible. Over time, those who purchase in down or flat markets with low interest rates come out ahead."

"Our lifetimes are a long time, and when we look over the long term, real estate and other investments tend to have a positive return," says Jed Kolko, chief economist at Trulia.com, a real estate search and research website. "But when it comes to real estate, changing your mind is expensive. There are a lot of costs involved in buying, selling and moving. If you move every two years, it's probably a bad investment for you. It also depends on your job market. If you're in a one-company town and the company goes down, there goes your job and there goes your home value."

Greg McBride, a senior analyst at Bankrate.com, agrees with one point of Arzaga's. "Home ownership is not so much a creator of wealth as a store of wealth," he says. "The promise of home ownership is that over the long haul, it can rebate many or perhaps all of your costs, unlike rent, which doesn't rebate a dime."

The trouble, he says, is that many Americans want a home so badly, they neglect other ways to grow wealth and financial security.

"You have the other financial bases covered: emergency savings, retirement savings, paying off debt, saving for the education of your children," McBride says. "There's no sense in buying a home if it's going to deplete your emergency or retirement savings."

McBride crunched the numbers in a pre-bubble era (2004) for a home purchased at $200,000 by a buyer in the 27 percent marginal tax bracket. Factoring in a 30-year mortgage, $1,200 in annual home insurance, closing costs of $5,500 and maintenance costs of $100 a month, along with property taxes, he calculated that it would take a selling price, 10 years later, of $395,404 just to break even. His conclusion gave Arzaga's view credence: "Homeownership may not be the moneymaker you think it is." (See the full chart at link.reuters.com/hej66s)

Then there's the emergency fund, a must for when a home requires unexpected repair work.

"As far as emergency savings is concerned, six months of a cushion is adequate," McBride says. "But only 24 percent of people have that kind of cushion, and about 65 percent own homes."

So while home ownership may sound glamorous, you need a lot of money to make it work, without much guarantee of positive returns in a post-bubble era. Indeed, Arzaga cites himself as an example of how home ownership doesn't pay off. His residence is today worth $1.5 million, about 17 percent less than what he paid.

So why not sell? For Arzaga, it's a lifestyle choice, and one that he doesn't regret, since his big money-making investments are elsewhere.

Re: Its better to rent than buy - always: Arzaga of Cornerstone Wealth Management

Dear c1ue,
    Agree. My wife and I have owned and sold a half dozen homes. My wife was a realtor for several years. We've always fixed them and sold at a profit... Ah, but after it was all done, I went back to see how that all worked. This article explains it well, and in the end, we had very nice homes to live in but good investments? Not so much. The net was zero or very close to it.
    The sole exception might be the one we now live in and we built it all ourselves while still at a full time job. It's rural, so no permits needed, no government involvement at all. We'll see eventually how it turns out.
    Take care. Stetts

Comment

Re: Its better to rent than buy - always: Arzaga of Cornerstone Wealth Management

Net of zero is pretty nice in my book when the alternative is paying rent every month. Not to mention property taxes and insurance are baked into rental costs so it's not like those vanish. Of course, you have to weigh that against the money lost to not investing the extra.

This is something I'm trying to figure out as in a couple of years, if I want to buy a house, I will have to sell my gold and pool my cash savings to make the down payment. Even if it is a luxury to some degree, it is one I'm interested in. I'm a musician and I can't make much noise in an apartment. I suppose I could try to find a house to rent although I've done that for 7 years prior to this apartment. It's not the same living in a house you feel you shouldn't improve in the slightest.

Comment

The sole exception might be the one we now live in and we built it all ourselves while still at a full time job.
        aka sweat equity

Comment

I simply could not imagine not owning my home. It may be a luxury, but so are the cruises we take. I think it also depends a lot on where you live. For example we have a 3000+ sq ft. house and pay about $1400 in taxes. I own a condo in Pittsburgh that is 1208 sq ft and worth about 40% of the value of my house and I pay about $2400 in taxes. I just could not imagine not being able to do anything I wanted with my home.

Comment

Originally posted by jiimbergin View Post
            I simply could not imagine not owning my home. It may be a luxury, but so are the cruises we take. I think it also depends a lot on where you live. For example we have a 3000+ sq ft. house and pay about $1400 in taxes. I own a condo in Pittsburgh that is 1208 sq ft and worth about 40% of the value of my house and I pay about $2400 in taxes. I just could not imagine not being able to do anything I wanted with my home.
            We have a modest townhome (and not so modest taxes given we live in the DC area....) but it's paid for. Knowing we don't have to worry about mortgage or rent payments and thus could live at a substantially reduced income if needed has given us the flexibility to do things we might not have. Everything is a trade-off -- for us, it's worth it, but that was the plan. And that's the critical point -- have a plan, don't just do something because that's what you were expected to do.

Comment

Originally posted by jpatter666 View Post
              We have a modest townhome (and not so modest taxes given we live in the DC area....) but it's paid for. Knowing we don't have to worry about mortgage or rent payments and thus could live at a substantially reduced income if needed has given us the flexibility to do things we might not have. Everything is a trade-off -- for us, it's worth it, but that was the plan. And that's the critical point -- have a plan, don't just do something because that's what you were expected to do.
              both my home and my mother's condo are also paid for. I also have a large vegetable garden, fruit trees, and a fruit garden with several kinds of berries and kiwi and a very large always full creek for water so I too feel we have a plan. Also we have a very large extended family with many resources available.
              '

Comment

Originally posted by jiimbergin View Post
                both my home and my mother's condo are also paid for. I also have a large vegetable garden, fruit trees, and a fruit garden with several kinds of berries and kiwi and a very large always full creek for water so I too feel we have a plan. Also we have a very large extended family with many resources available.
                '
                That is similar to us although we have chickens and soon, will have some ducks on our property. I can't imagine not owning a house. It will be paid off by the time we're 37 so I think it was the right chice fr us although it isn't for everyone.

Comment

house as a place to live +1
                  house as an investment -1

Comment

What about a house as a hedge against the (coming) inflation? I am really torn. I am certainly not looking to gain money by buying a house as an 'investment', but I sure would not like to pay top dollar either.

If inflation continues to average about 4% (real), then a 4% mortgage, with tax deduction, almost might make sense. And, if there is a big POOM, might not my salary go up with the increase in inflation? Won't that loan be easier to pay off?

I keep waiting and waiting for home prices to drop. I want them to crash! It is taking so long, however.

I finally feel like I have reached "acceptance"; the only way to beat the system is to get one of those cheap loans and leverage myself up. Plus the wife really wants our own place again.

Comment

Originally posted by aaron View Post
                      What about a house as a hedge against the (coming) inflation? I am really torn. I am certainly not looking to gain money by buying a house as an 'investment', but I sure would not like to pay top dollar either.
                      Real estate will protect against inflation to a certain extent but there are better hedges against inflation than real estate. The fact that a lot of real estate in the U.S. is still overpriced and real estate has carrying costs that typically rise (property taxes) further detracts from real estate's attractiveness as an inflation hedge.

If inflation continues to average about 4% (real), then a 4% mortgage, with tax deduction, almost might make sense. And, if there is a big POOM, might not my salary go up with the increase in inflation? Won't that loan be easier to pay off?
                      Your salary may not necessarily increase at the same rate of inflation. Almost certainly, salary inflation will lag general price inflation. This is just another way of saying that there are better inflation hedges than real estate.

The only people who really benefit from the current low mortgage rates (other than FIRE economy players) are people who bought a house before the housing bubble and are now able to refinance (or take out a mortgage if they've already paid off their homes) at negative real rates. Everyone else is screwed.

I keep waiting and waiting for home prices to drop. I want them to crash! It is taking so long, however.

I finally feel like I have reached "acceptance"; the only way to beat the system is to get one of those cheap loans and leverage myself up. Plus the wife really wants our own place again.
                      I definitely feel your pain. I have decided that barring another housing bubble, I will buy in 2015 or 2016 and give up on waiting for better prices. By that time, I will have suffered a personal lost decade thanks to Greenspan and Bernanke's housing bubble games.

If you live in a true no-recourse state like California, it might be worthwhile to speculate as Bernanke wants. Get an FHA loan, play some funny games so that you don't even have to put up the entire 3.5% down payment, and let the big, bad Bernanke huff and puff and blow the housing bubble back up. If he succeeds in reflating the housing bubble, enjoy your capital gains and low mortgage rate. If he fails and you go deeply underwater, default.

Comment

Might your salary go up???
                        Look at what salaries have done in the last ten years - salaries are flat, while costs of living are increasing:
                        Milk has doubled, Property taxes doubled, Butter doubled, cost of lunchtime sandwich doubled, gasoline has doubled.
                        Inflation does not impact everything equally!

Comment

At the end of the day, if you want to buy a house, do so.

The point of the original article was simply that buying a house is not a slam dunk as far as an investment choice.

It never said that you shouldn't ever buy a house.

As for inflation - the 'hedge' aspect is real, but so is the liquidity aspect as you are undergoing the inflation.

If you are like jk - where his house was fully paid off but he made a choice to leverage the cash out via a mortgage - then you'd have both the flexibility of ending the 'hedge' at any time while still being positioned to take advantage of inflation, though you do add the risk of ensuring your cash taken out grows at or above the rate of inflation plus interest rate.

The flexibility is what makes renting good - you will always be able to trade up or down, but the price for the flexibility is price increases and decreases - though rents are a function of income and not credit.

If, on the other hand, you're buying a house where you are unable to pay it off should circumstances change, then you've just made a double down bet both that inflation is coming and that you'll be able to make it past the liquidity squeeze.

If so, good luck.

Comment

Robert Shiller on Equity Gain vs 'Housing Services Provider'

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...all-for-s.aspx

Comment

Shiller on Buy vs Rent

Robert Shiller's "Irrational exuberance" takes up the question of renting vs. buying.

Given that you occupy the house for several years, and other caveats, he says buying is slightly better than renting. But it is a highly qualified recommendation. The main reason is that owning the house has a lot less moral hazards than renting. As a renter, you are paying the risk for all the other renters who may trash the place, not pay three months rent, etc. As an owner, you use the improvements and also sell them to the next guy.

Having said that, buying a house, especially an older one, is like duct tapeing a vacuum to your wallet.
                              The maintenance is very significant. A new house has little maintenance, but lots of depreciation.

A house is the only leveraged inflation hedge most people can get near.

In "tough times" you can rent rooms out. Although this is "unthinkable" to many people, it will gain popularity as wages stagnate and people realize they do not need all this space.

In 1950, the average family home was about 1100 square feet, and the family had 3 children.
                              Now it is no children in a 2000 sq foot house.

I-tulipers are not typical people. Typical people need to be forced into a real estate piggy bank to save anything.

Many of my parents cohorts did quite well by buying the house: the 70's inflation turned thier mortgage into a free house, and the long lasting bull in CA real estate gave them an excellent retirement nest egg. They burned the mortgage when they retired, and were set for life.

I'd say buying a non-bubble house at today's rates is a deal ! Maintain liquidity, though--keep a years living costs in gold or liquid assets. (Forget this 6 month stuff--look at the unemployement data!)

Comment

Working...
                              X