Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Year of the Jump Ball - Part I: Payback - Eric Janszen

Originally posted by jk
    the question raised is what constitutes wealth and production.
    I think this question is an important one, but not the real issue.

What I see as a false dichotomy is the notion that somehow intellectual property development is some type of self contained, self reinforcing mechanism.

There are many products/concepts/methods which frankly would not be where they are today were it not for the society, government, and nation which brought them forth, much as these products/concepts/methods prosper in no small part due to initial adoption by its host nation and populace.

It is also unclear to me just how much industrial production is being downsized with respect to the human element by automation due to absolute efficiency, as opposed to automation being cost effective only due to the cost of living having been disastrously raised by FIRE and debt - and further seasoned by having a huge supply of extremely cheap labor elsewhere.

We can also clearly see that millions of extremely low paid individuals in China and elsewhere are apparently cheaper than automation doing the same jobs - after all, just how difficult is it to make a machine which polishes smartphone screens?

Furthermore we see just as clearly from Germany and some other examples that there are more choices than just dirt cheap unskilled labor and robot designers.

To me, this would indicate the primary problem isn't some unchangeable society-wide secular change such as the switch from agriculture to industry, but rather an ongoing botched transition from a low skilled labor industrial environment to whatever the next stage might be, with many additional problems arising due to FIRE, debt, and its impact on corporations and individuals.

I'd in conclusion note that not one of the 5 botched risk factors which EJ noted above have anything to do with any possible industrial/post-industrial labor transition.

The problems the US is seeing, and will continue to see grow, are absolutely solvable, but will not solve themselves.

The ongoing utter lack of recognition of these issues as exemplified by a frankly completely disassociated political system and mass media - that is the 6th risk factor and the one which matters now.

Comment

Re: Year of the Jump Ball - Part I: Payback - Eric Janszen

Originally posted by Chris Coles View Post
      I profoundly disagree with this statement.
      We've had this disagreement before.

The underlying problem is that we have been restricted to the creation of jobs that satisfy the needs of a very small minority; Venture Capitalists and the like.
      Yes, jobs are created by those who can pay salaries to their employees. How else would it work?

You say Venture Capitalist like it's a dirty word. You want funding but dislike those who provide it?

Most VC's want to satisfy the needs of the majority, because that's where the most money is.

If everyone with the gumption to get up and go were funded...
      ...untold amounts of wealth would be squandered by people with hare-brained business plans spending money that isn't theirs.

Resources are limited. Deciding which deserve funding is part of the function of "Venture Capitalists and the like".
      We simply cannot get our hands on funding.
      On the very site you're posting on, there are many millionaires/accredited investors who want to put their money to productive use and make a profit. You're a select member - look around. EJ has been providing a service to these members by helping to find suitable investments. The whole site is basically here (imho) to provide insight into why/how certain investments will do well in the future. And while many are happy to hold gold and treasuries, not everyone is. Look around some more, there are many who are actively searching out investments in business ventures.

I can't help but feel that you have had a bad personal experience trying to get funding for some pet project. So you extrapolate that the whole system is broken and no business ventures are being funded. Sorry if I'm way off, but I don't see why else you would keep making these claims.

Comment

Working...
      X