X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Officer Laughs About Beating Occupy Wall Street Protesters [Video]

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2264...pper-spray.htm
    """"
    It begins with one police officer telling another, earlier in the day, "My little nightstick is going to get a workout tonight" -- presumably referring to his baton -- and both officers laughing. Then it cuts to footage of several police officers standing in the middle of a crowd of protesters, who are penned in by metal barriers, and hitting a number of the protesters with their batons. """

Re: Police Officer Laughs About Beating Occupy Wall Street Protesters [Video]

Sounds more like a double entendre.
    It's Economics vs Thermodynamics. Thermodynamics wins.

Comment

seems inevitable to me...along with the accompanying outrage.

Comment

Why, why, this can't be--don't you know NYPD are heros each and every one. It was declared so in 2001!!!

Comment

If they're hitting protesters with their batons because the protesters are doing something that calls for a baton-wielding response, then isn't that what batons are for? If the protesters are peaceful and follow the law regarding these things then they have nothing to worry about. But we know how this type loves to do a little window-breaking, a little vandalizing, etc.

As for the cop joking about it: that's in bad taste but that's the sort of people who become cops....people who like enforcing law, which means using force sometimes.

Making an issue of this is just stretching for something to claim victimhood over.

Comment

Originally posted by *T* View Post
            Sounds more like a double entendre.
            I thought that at first too but if you listen, you can hear the female cop say "I haven't used it" with the male cop saying "I have, several times" then smacking it on the ground.

ETA: Who are the guys in suits? Are they policemen or some sort of private security?
            Last edited by Kadriana; October 07, 2011, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mn_Mark View Post
              If the protesters are peaceful and follow the law regarding these things then they have nothing to worry about.
              Because police have NEVER used violence against peaceful protesters! Especially when they are threatening those in power. Or anybody else, unless they "deserved it" or "had it coming" anyway. Nope, that has never happened!

See also:

List of Cases of Police Brutality in the U.S.

List of Cases of Police Brutality Worldwide

Comment

Originally posted by Mn_Mark View Post
                If they're hitting protesters with their batons because the protesters are doing something that calls for a baton-wielding response, then isn't that what batons are for? If the protesters are peaceful and follow the law regarding these things then they have nothing to worry about. But we know how this type loves to do a little window-breaking, a little vandalizing, etc.
                Why are you assuming the police to be in the right here or that they won't abuse their power? If the media and blog and twitter reports are any indication the protestors have generally been extremely non violent while the police have been acting like dicks.

Comment

I'm an NYPDer (retired). That nightstick comment could go either way. The fact that he said "little nightstick" makes me lean more towards a sexual joke but I could easily be wrong.
                  The suits? Probably detectives or other plain clothes police personnel. It's not a good idea that plains clothes officers take action like that in a crowd control situation. That kind of action should be taken by uniformed personnel only.
                  Notice the white shirts. They are officers of the rank of lieutenant or better. The white shirts looked like they gave up their supervisory duties and reverted to the rank of police officer. They mixed it up with the demonstrators instead of directing the action of the officers. Then again it's easy for me to sit in front of my computer and criticize. I've been at civil disturbances and it gets chaotic.

People in the USA yap about the Constitution and all our guaranteed rights and how wonderful it all is but when people actually do demonstrate they get condemned. That goes for the folks over near Wall Street or the Tea Party folks or whoever. Instead of seeing such assemblies as a healthy thing it really frightens people.

Maybe those cops should be educated on the current suit against Bank of NY Mellon that alleges fraud on currency transactions. Alleged fraud that may have stole money out of those officer's pockets.

Comment

If you are in New York, that would be an excellent way to support change. I suspect most police officers would be less likely to beat down a protester if they knew that their pensions are getting hammered by their "benefactors".

Comment

Originally posted by BigBagel View Post
                      I'm an NYPDer (retired). That nightstick comment could go either way. The fact that he said "little nightstick" makes me lean more towards a sexual joke but I could easily be wrong.
                      The suits? Probably detectives or other plain clothes police personnel. It's not a good idea that plains clothes officers take action like that in a crowd control situation. That kind of action should be taken by uniformed personnel only.
                      Notice the white shirts. They are officers of the rank of lieutenant or better. The white shirts looked like they gave up their supervisory duties and reverted to the rank of police officer. They mixed it up with the demonstrators instead of directing the action of the officers. Then again it's easy for me to sit in front of my computer and criticize. I've been at civil disturbances and it gets chaotic.

People in the USA yap about the Constitution and all our guaranteed rights and how wonderful it all is but when people actually do demonstrate they get condemned. That goes for the folks over near Wall Street or the Tea Party folks or whoever. Instead of seeing such assemblies as a healthy thing it really frightens people.

Maybe those cops should be educated on the current suit against Bank of NY Mellon that alleges fraud on currency transactions. Alleged fraud that may have stole money out of those officer's pockets.
                      I have have heard of a couple of cities which are getting along with the cops really well. Portland, Dallas and LA are the major ones I can think of. Supposedly, the SF camp was raided in the middle of the night and taken down. It was just a little snippet on a blog though.

It will be interesting to see how the other protests grow and develop. I believe a lot are scheduled today while it's Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                      X