Good News out of Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good News out of Mexico

I've been longing for some good news out of Mexico and maybe this is a start:

http://boingboing.net/2011/09/15/cro...in-mexico.html

If social-networking can challenge villains like the secret police of Iran, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia and Syria maybe there's hope for Mexico's besieged civil society.

That said, I also noted this story:

http://neglectedwar.com/blog/archives/6851

Jesus the country's being crucified. Really heartbreaking.

Re: Good News out of Mexico

Originally posted by oddlots View Post
    Jesus the country's being crucified. Really heartbreaking.
    Ever the more so considering how simple the solution. But politics get in the way.

Comment

Re: Good News out of Mexico

I have considerable concerns when it comes to Mexico.

Mex Gov revenue depends a fair bit on oil income....with production continuing to decline......combined with the ongoing narco-civil war..and a big chunk of the Mexican economy controlled by a fairly small number of ruling families...not a good recipe.

It's my understanding that approx 15000 people have been murdered each year for the past few years on average directly related to narco-crime in Mexico.

Much of the Mexican government(local/state/federal), police(local/state/federal) and military have been successfully infiltrated by the Mexican cartels.

There have also been some disturbing arrest trends on the US side, particularly with US Border Patrol being recruited and run as intelligence assets for the cartels.

It's a shame what happened to the dead who allegedly used social media/internet to report criminal activity...I almost hope it is just a ruse used by the cartel to play on public fear that they have even infiltrated crime feedback loops to reduce their use.....but if the cartels have I wouldn't be particularly surprised.

The Mexican Drug Cartels represent a considerable threat to the US...not just an economic/social threat...but a legitimate security threat.

I wouldn't be surprised if US intelligence and special operations units were being directly used in this quiet war along the US border.

I wonder if the 2012 election will prove an opportune time to drop a line in the water about a possible sea change in US drug policy focusing on legal demand instead of supply.....I would think 2016 at the latest it could be firmly on the radar.

Comment

Working...
      X