Retailers are starting the holidays even earlier this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retailers are starting the holidays even earlier this year

This article will be published every year, earlier and earlier, until we're simply going from one Christmas retail season (in December) to the next one in January.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ber/50362864/1
    Christmas merchandise has been at Costco stores since Sept. 1 and will begin showing up on some Home Depot shelves Sept. 19. Kmart and Sears will begin selling Christmas trimmings Sept. 25. And Walmart and J.C. Penney will start selling Christmas merchandise before month's end.

[..]

Began Christmas already. JoAnn Fabric has had holiday fabrics on its shelves since July, and A.C. Moore has had them since August.

•Start in September. "Historically, we are in seasons early and out early," says Richard Galanti, Costco's chief financial officer.

After rolling out Christmas merchandise in mid-October the past few years, this year Walmart will start in late September, spokeswoman Tara Raddohl says.

Customers want early holiday merchandise to space out holiday purchases, Home Depot spokeswoman Jen King says.

•Kick off Christmas in October. Everything from outdoor holiday inflatables to Christmas lights will hit shelves at Lowe's stores Oct. 1, spokeswoman Colleen Maiura says.

Nordstrom is bucking the trend. "It's been our long-standing tradition to not decorate our stores for the holidays until after Thanksgiving," spokeswoman Pamela Lopez says. "We believe in celebrating one holiday at a time."

Re: Retailers are starting the holidays even earlier this year

Wal-Mart brings back layaway for holiday shoppers
    By Anne D'Innocenzio, The Associated Press
    The world's largest retailer, which ditched the pay-as-you-go plans in 2006, is rolling out a holiday layaway plan from Oct. 17 through Dec. 16. Wal-Mart is following rivals that brought back the service during the thick of the recession.

Wow, Layaway. The bubble machine really is broken!

Comment

Stores trim holiday hiring
      By Christina Cheddar Berk, CNBC.com
      Although the vast majority of retailers — some 68% — plan on keeping holiday hiring at roughly the same level as last year, a quarter expect to trim hiring plans for seasonal workers, according to an annual hiring survey conducted by the Hay Group, a global management consultancy.

That's a greater number than last year, when 17% of the retailers Hay surveyed said they would scale back hiring.

Comment

Originally posted by babbittd View Post
        This article will be published every year, earlier and earlier, until we're simply going from one Christmas retail season (in December) to the next one in January....
        seems like this isnt all that new a phenom?

http://www.christmastreeshops.com/massachusetts.html
        tho the deals are better in: http://www.christmastreeshops.com/newhampshire.html

;)

and hey:

http://www.prlog.org/11579379-christ...iday-2011.html

With the summer heating up, retailers launch Christmas in July Sales and Black Friday Sales.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PRLog (Press Release) - Jul 11, 2011 - Retailers are kicking off the summer with Christmas in July and Black Friday Sales. Christmas in July Sales have been around since the 1950's but have become more popular with the slower economy. Meanwhile, a new Cyber Black Friday in July tradition has emerged. Cyber Black Friday is the online version of the Black Friday retail frenzy where traffic and sales on retailer websites spike after Thanksgiving. This year, Target and Crocs have announced Black Friday Sales on Friday, July 15.

Christmas in July Sales include:

Toys R Us - Buy 1 Get 1 50% off select toys. Ends July 17.
        Bed Bath Store – 10% off sitewide with Coupon Code: XMAS722 Ends July 31.
        CafePress.com - $10 fof $50 with Coupon Code: MELT.
        CheapOair - Book Cheap Flights Deals to Top Destinations around the world. Ends July 31.
        Colonial Candle - $15 off $75 and $5 Shipping with Coupon Code: July1575 Ends July 15.
        CreateForLess Christmas in July Sale – Save up to 70%. Ends July 11.
        Fabric.com – Save up to 40%. Ends July 11.
        Fitz and Floyd – From July 14 to July 31, save up to 75% off selected Christmas Ceramic Decor, Dinnerware, Gifts and more.
        OneShare - 33% off Frames with Coupon Code: XMASJULY11 Ends July 31.
        QVC - Christmas in July Preview Sale July 15.
        Terry’s Village – Up to 60% off + FREE shipping Coupon Code: WTE2042 Ends July 11.

Comment

like every year, I am going to boycott the Christmas shopping season the family has all it needs besides a trip to visit those we love.

i encourage all to do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by doom&gloom View Post
            like every year, I am going to boycott the Christmas shopping season the family has all it needs besides a trip to visit those we love.

i encourage all to do the same.

+1
            tho it was out of necessity, initially, in my early years out here, its become easier and easier to tune it out completely - my 'holiday season' begins on 21dec and lasts til after newyears day vs the more typical: start the day after halloween, xmas tree the day after T-day, endless nightmare in the malls till 24dec, with the tree out in the trash on the 26th.... BAH HUMBUG! to all that...

Comment

Christmas in July!

Now that's overreaching.

I was kidding in my first post.

How can retailers move Christmas shopping before the ever important 'back-to-school' shopping season of August?

Comment

Makes sense to space out the season, "just in Time" delivery and stocking of items will save stores lots of money. And more space between isles and fewer of them too.

A couple of months back I changed jobs to work for a large multi national 3 letter dvd & electronic manufacture at 1 of their dvd packaging warehouses & the "busy season" is late and will likely be much shorter too.

Comment

Working...
                X