No announcement yet.

Welcome to China's Fake Apple Store(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to China's Fake Apple Store(s)

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/globa...e-store/40191/

Re: Welcome to China's Fake Apple Store(s)

Actually, I don't see a big fuss, as long as they are selling genuine ibooks and ipads, who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by touchring View Post
      Actually, I don't see a big fuss, as long as they are selling genuine ibooks and ipads, who cares?
      And don't let anyone drive them at 300 kph... ;-)

Comment

I would imagine Apple has a problem with simply using their name, regardless of what products they sell. But yes, selling fakes would be even worse. Fake Apple stores would probably be a price Apple is willing to pay to sell their products to 1.3 billion Chinese!

Comment

Genuine Apple hardware? Seems Apple has a leak in the Supply Chain, did a container or two "fall off" a ship in a port somewhere?

Comment

Looks like the ideal place to pick up an iMak cheap

Comment

Or the I-rack?

http://youtu.be/rw2nkoGLhrE

Comment

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Comment

That's not the funny part.

The funny part would be if the employees in the fake Apple stores were paid more than the ones in the real Apple stores...

Comment

the Apple of their eye . . .

SHANGHAI — A year after opening a flagship store here, Apple has a problem that any retailer would envy: the huge 16,000-square-foot space is already too small.

Huge crowds descend the store’s glass staircase, only to discover legions of mostly young Chinese crowding around spare displays of Apple’s devices. Another Apple Store, four miles away, is also packed.

To cope, Apple says it is now planning a third, even larger Shanghai store, as well as dozens of other stores throughout the country. The expansion is driven by customers like Wang Shangyan, a 17-year-old professed Apple maniac.

“I have many Apple products, like Touch, iPod, iPad 2 and MacBook,” Mr. Wang said after browsing the Apple Store here this week. “I don’t have an iPhone but I’m waiting for the fifth generation. I will come to the Apple Store to buy it; it doesn’t matter how much it costs.”

Apple says its Chinese outlets — two in Beijing and two in Shanghai — are now the four most heavily trafficked Apple stores in the world. They also generate the most revenue, outselling even the Fifth Avenue Apple Store in Manhattan, which is open around the clock. (Apple plans to open another store in Grand Central Terminal.)

Analysts say few global brands have achieved such a feat in China.

“Apple has done what Google and Facebook cannot do: become No. 1 in China,” said John Quelch, former senior associate dean of Harvard Business School and now head of the China Europe International Business School in Shanghai. “Scarcity sells, and this is the same strategy Apple has used in the U.S.”

Apple’s push into China may be important for other reasons: it shows the depth of this country’s fast-growing upper middle class.

Foreign brands can absorb another lesson as well. Apple’s success shows that with products that are not so easy to counterfeit, Chinese consumers are willing to pay a premium.

The Apple Store, however, is another matter.

Last week, an American blogger living in China posted images of what she believed was a fake Apple Store in the southwestern city of Kunming. The store mimicked the Apple decor, right down to the bright blue T-shirts and white tags Apple employees are required to wear.

“It appears the middle class in China is growing faster than Apple’s presence,” said Charles Wolf, a securities analyst who follows Apple for Needham & Company.

“I mean China has taken rip-offs to a new level, pirating Apple Stores themselves. It speaks to the demand for Apple products throughout China.”

Apple declined to comment on the case. The company has no authorized store in Kunming, only licensed resellers, which are barred from creating look-alike outlets or even calling themselves an Apple Store.

On Friday, China said its own regulators had begun inspecting electronics stores in Kunming to ensure they complied with the law.

Chalk it up to Apple mania, with Chinese characteristics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/25/te...r=1&ref=global

Comment

Working...
                    X