Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coles View Post
It is then that us "Oldies", I am 70, will have a need to step forward to provide some leadership. We grew up without all these attachments, and thus know how to adapt without them. As I see it, we have to stay in the background and be open to direct interaction when TSHTF, as it will.

My advice to others at my age is to open conversations with the young at every opportunity. My own experience is that the young today have very little experience of such direct contact; yet welcome it as a new experience. Let them gain some confidence, so that, when they need to talk, they will already know that the contact is always welcomed with a smile.

On the other hand, if we push them away; they will surely place the blame upon our generation and that may lead to violence towards us; so we have every reason to keep the dialogue going at every opportunity.
well said Chris - we are not too far apart i am 58.
i just did what you said this weekend- in helping one of our universities raise money, before the event, i struck up a conversation with a student/worker. He was 27 and told me the story of after losing his mother and father he became angry at God and developed the prodigal son lifestyle. However at a latter age he has restored his self esteem and is now majoring in psychology so that he can help other at risk teenagers and young adults. He currently volunteers on a peer board with judges that review some of these dysfunctional cases so that compassion and restoration can occur. (BTW- the stats are that most of these at risk problems happen from broken households (70%) and we both agreed between ages 18-26.
The point is within this generation we will also see leaders and it is our job to encourage and listen to them also.
I am quite proud to play a small role in raising capacity for other fields so more students like this can be the light in a dark world.