X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britan invades Libya

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/vio...-libyan-ground

Imperalist pigs!

I hope my Libyan friends have some ***'s to hand & give the Western Dogs the "Welcome" they deserve.

Mike

Re: Britan invades Libya

They want the oil. However, I really don't think this is going to "work".

The North Sea oil should not have been pumped out so fast and squandered. There is no alternative now but to drastically improve efficiency. It is not that difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by mooncliff View Post
      They want the oil. However, I really don't think this is going to "work".

The North Sea oil should not have been pumped out so fast and squandered. There is no alternative now but to drastically improve efficiency. It is not that difficult.
      in that regard Japan will be an even more interesting proof of concept than it was already. With a chronic energy shortage due to the loss of Fukushima Daiichi's 4696MW of capacity, a major push in further energy efficiency needs to be implemented over the next decade.
      engineer with little (or even no) economic insight

Comment

We all know they were there from the start or even before. Operation Southern Mistral was planned last last year.

But money is still the ultimate weapon, they are probably using it and it seems to pay off.

• MARCH 14, 2011, 1:14 PM ET

Bribery as an Act of War

By Christopher Shea

At Balkinization, Ian Ayres makes the case that “a ‘smart bribe’ can be a lot cheaper than a ‘smart bomb.’”
        Before the Iraq war, U.S. special forces dropped in on Iraqi generals and offered them money not to fight, an offer they were happy to take up. And, as a 2009 article in Science, “Bribes vs. Bombs: A Study in Coasean Warfare,” noted, this was hardly a U.S. innovation. For instance, “Alaric the Visigoth accepted a lavish payment to lift his siege of Rome in 409 A.D.” (He came back the next year and sacked the city.)
        Great Britain was prepared to pay Turkish leaders, during World War I, more than $300 million (in present-day dollars) to have that country pull out of the conflict. But there was a sketchy intermediary, and the deal never got done.

Lurking behind the bribe-as-weapon are some interesting complex legal questions, Ayres points out:
        Inducing officers of another country to mutiny might violate international law. Coasean bribes are almost certainly a legitimate war-time tactic—even though it is a step toward a mercenary fighting force. But soliciting military insurrection by officers of a country with which we are not at war may be a different normative story altogether.
        That last line gets at the question of whether it would be permissible for the United States to bribe Libyan generals to oppose the current regime. The solution seems so neat, however—so bloodless and efficient—that I can’t imagine you couldn’t find some government lawyers who would sign off on it.

http://blogs.wsj.com/ideas-market/20...an-act-of-war/

5 Libyan Army Generals Defect

ROME -- Eight top Libyan army officers, including five generals, who have defected from Moammar Gadhafi's regime appealed to their fellow officers Monday to join the revolt to hasten the end of Gadhafi's 40-year rule.
        Italian Foreign Ministry officials presented the generals, two colonels and a major to reporters in Rome three days after they fled Libya.
        One of the officers, Gen. Melud Massoud Halasa, estimated that Gadhafi's military forces are now "only 20 percent as effective" as what they were before the revolt broke out in mid-February, and that "not more than 10" generals remain loyal to Gadhafi.
        Former Libyan Foreign Minister Abdel Rahman Shalgam, who now backs the anti-Gadhafi rebels, told the news conference that the eight officers are "part of 120 officials who left and abandoned Gadhafi and are now out of Libya."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_868768.html

Comment

Working...
        X