Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Catch a falling silver knife - Notes on EJ's April 29 silver sell call

Originally posted by metalman View Post
    ... think of the shit we'd throw at ej today if he was wrong & silver broke 50 & kept going up... or even if prices only dipped 5%?

good trades have many fathers, bad ones are orphans.

if we want to hear more of these... really... let's try to make it worth his while & not cut him down.

my 2 cents.
    Personally, I have great respect for EJ. And much gratitude for his work.
    The only poor call I've seen was taking on additional shorts in financial stocks back in March/April of 2009.
    Otherwise his calls have been outstanding, to say the least.

Had he been wrong (by $10 or even $20) with his silver call it would take an egotistical asshole to "throw shit at him".
    I'd be willing to bet BIG money that the would be dung-throwers never made 90%+ per year for a decade on any investment.

The only people who are never wrong are those who do nothing; and they have nothing to show for being "right".

Comment

Originally posted by Raz View Post
      The only people who are never wrong are those who do nothing; and they have nothing to show for being "right".
      Well said Raz, and the people who do nothing in our current environment of deep negative interest rates are real loser - no pun intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Raz View Post
        Personally, I have great respect for EJ. And much gratitude for his work.
        The only poor call I've seen was taking on additional shorts in financial stocks back in March/April of 2009.
        Otherwise his calls have been outstanding, to say the least.

Had he been wrong (by $10 or even $20) with his silver call it would take an egotistical asshole to "throw shit at him".
        I'd be willing to bet BIG money that the would be dung-throwers never made 90%+ per year for a decade on any investment.

rip van winkle investing...

90%/yr for 10 yrs... big reward for snoozing. true buy & hold trade of the decade, not stocks... if you sold last fri.

Comment

Be careful about cherry picking. I remember a call for 20% unemployment and a first bounce is over call that is still a bit early. Nice call on the silver. I sold out of silver on the day after the volume on slv was higher than the volume on spy.

Comment

Originally posted by metalman View Post
            rip van winkle investing...

90%/yr for 10 yrs... big reward for snoozing. true buy & hold trade of the decade, not stocks... if you sold last fri.
            marc faber likes to talk about a hypothetical once-a-decade trader: he bought gold [abroad] in 1970, sold it dec31, 1979. he then moved all his funds to japanese equities, which he sold dec31, 1989. he then bought american high tech, which he sold dec31, 1999. and then he did something else.

i've always been attracted to that idea, and much of my attraction to itulip is that it follows that kind of model. find the big thing, the big move, and stay with it. jesse livermore said the hardest thing he had to do with investments was sit. "be right, and sit tight."

Comment

Originally posted by goadam1 View Post
              Be careful about cherry picking. I remember a call for 20% unemployment and a first bounce is over call that is still a bit early. Nice call on the silver. I sold out of silver on the day after the volume on slv was higher than the volume on spy.
              I remember the "First Bounce is Over" (and you're correct - it was definitely early), but EJ has never claimed to be a market timer. (Though Metalman seems to be saying that, even if he times his trades over several years instead of months.) And he didn't call for shorting the stock market at that time, so no one lost any money unless they inferred that he did.

I don't remember the 20% unemployment call, but I would venture to guess
              that if we had honest numbers it would be at least 19.0%+.

And though I did pick cotton as a youth, I've never picked a cherry.
              Last edited by Raz; May 04, 2011, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I know one thing, the powers that be have gotten serious about taking down silver.

Wow, another margin increase. It makes believable all the conspiracy theories about some serious power brokers being on the wrong end of that deal.

In all seriousness, if nothing else the last few years have taught me to what extent the powerful will go to remain so.

Will

Comment

CME silver margin
                  4/26/11 was 11745
                  4/27/11 12825
                  4/28/11
                  4/29/11 14513
                  5/2/11 MF Global 25397
                  5/3/11 16200
                  5/4/11 18900
                  5/5/11
                  5/6/11
                  5/9/11 21600
                  http://www.NowAndTheFuture.com

Comment

Originally posted by Penguin View Post
                    I know one thing, the powers that be have gotten serious about taking down silver.

Wow, another margin increase. It makes believable all the conspiracy theories about some serious power brokers being on the wrong end of that deal.

In all seriousness, if nothing else the last few years have taught me to what extent the powerful will go to remain so.

Will
                    Some day you all will undrestand the mechanism of iTulip's remarkable record.
                    Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by metalman
                      a single 'sell' call in 10 yrs... day before the mega-est silver price crash ever... & c1ue sez...
                      The sell call was great, but then again, EJ was not the only one to point out the bubbly nature of silver as of Friday, April 29, 2011.

Jesse noted this, and I myself dumped a 971 oz Ag bar on 4/22.

In fact, what I was noting was that a fall under $20 is far more actionable than a call that Ag was about to fall - especially given the 4th margin increase by CFTC as well as the unquestionably parabolic nature of the rise.

Comment

Originally posted by FRED View Post
                        Some day you all will understand the mechanism of iTulip's remarkable record.
                        "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
                        -- Arthur C. Clarke

(Haven't we always been at war with EastAsia? ;-) )
                        http://www.NowAndTheFuture.com

Comment

good move ... I sold some, wish I had sold more ; (

Originally posted by LargoWinch View Post
                          Based on EJ's call/comments, I sold roughly 2/3 of my silver holdings last week at spot silver between $USD44.5 and $USD48.5.

However, I think it is important to keep things in perspective and understand that silver may never reach $US20/oz again.

YTD as of May 4th/11 - 2:45pm:

Silver - Start $30.63 / Current $39.80: +29.9%

Gold - Start $1,405.5 / Current $1,516.6: +7.9%

Comment

I probably sold 25% of my holdings a little early in January 2011 but from that experience I learned not to touch my core holdings like CEF this go around even when CEF traded like silver on Monday. On a separate note, it is interesting how their SBT.UN silver bullion fund gained 3.42% today after 5% discount to NAV yesterday and has held support three days now. (I do not own)

I agree with all of the reasons to get out for trading purposes. As the long term fundamentals are strong for silver what/when are reasons to get back in? When gold/silver ratio gets back into the mid 40s?

Comment

Catch a falling silver knife - Notes on EJ's April 29 silver sell call

Originally Posted by metalman
                              when did you get into silver? 10 yrs ago?

never trade out?

how many head-fake silver corrections went down since 2001 that blew out the technical traders?

maybe others here sold, but who except ej had the balls to make a 'time to sell' public announcement of the fact on the internet? for the record? in his own name not some anon alias? rep at stake.

think of the shit we'd throw at ej today if he was wrong & silver broke 50 & kept going up... or even if prices only dipped 5%?

good trades have many fathers, bad ones are orphans.

if we want to hear more of these... really... let's try to make it worth his while & not cut him down.

my 2 cents.

+2

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump_and_dump
                                Last edited by dropthatcash; May 05, 2011, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X