Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NY Fed President Dudley heckled: "I can't eat an iPad" "When was the last time you went grocery shopping"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Fed President Dudley heckled: "I can't eat an iPad" "When was the last time you went grocery shopping"

http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/...ley-an-earful/

Reuters © Enlarge photo

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Memo to central bankers:
    Best not to cite the price of the new iPad as an example of why inflation isn't a problem when you head into a working-class neighborhood.

In Queens, New York, on Friday, New York Fed President William Dudley did just that. He got an earful.

After being bombarded with questions about food inflation, Dudley attempted to reassure his audience by putting rising commodity prices into a broader economic context -- but that only made matters worse.

"When was the last time, sir, that you went grocery shopping?" one audience member asked.

Dudley tried to explain how the Fed sees things: Yes, food and energy prices may be rising, but at the same time, other prices are declining.

He then stretched for a real world example. The only problem was he chose the Apple's latest tablet computer that hit stores on Friday, which may be more popular at the New York Fed's headquarters near Wall Street than it is on the gritty streets of Queens.

"Today you can buy an iPad 2 that costs the same as an iPad 1 that is twice as powerful," he said."You have to look at the prices of all things."

This prompted guffaws and widespread murmuring from the audience, with one audience member calling the comment "tone deaf."

"I can't eat an iPad," another said.

Queens is a borough of New York perhaps best known internationally for being home to New York City's two airports, the Mets baseball team and its portrayal in the television program "The King of Queens" -- whose main character delivers packages for a living.

Misjudging your audience is hardly unusual for those in positions of power. In 2007, then-presidential candidate Barack Obama asked an Iowa crowd if they had seen what Whole Foods -- an upscale supermarket more popular in big cities than in the Corn Belt -- charges for arugula.

Re: NY Fed President Dudley heckled: "I can't eat an iPad" "When was the last time you went grocery shopping"

And I hear Yachts are more powerful than ever, for the same price. What's the problem?

Comment

Re: NY Fed President Dudley heckled: "I can't eat an iPad" "When was the last time you went grocery shopping"

dudley: "let them eat ipads"?

Comment

Is it really more powerful?? The hardware gets faster, but if it follows in the footsteps of microsoft, the apps will get fatter.
        I bought one of the first personal computers in the 70's and gee whizz, I could write letters, and balance my check book, and do my taxes whizz bang fast.

I use old hardware at home. My top performing computer last year was a 1.2GHz P3. Turbo tax no longer runs acceptably on this hardware. I had to buy another machine (P4 2.6ghz) . I used to run turbo tax on an apple mac in the 80s at 8Mhz 6800. 256KB memory. So has this hardware speed really bought me much.

I do have to admit I would not be able to do digital photography on an older computer.

I saw and article in the mainstream media last week about tame inflation, I wanted to hurl.
        food, energy, healthcare the majority of my expenses are quickly accelarting. I suppose that sustitution effect will kick in and the feds will say people are eating cat food because it is healthier and they really like it.
        In 8 years I will have my first entering college. Taxes which are
        not part of the CPI are heading higher too. One of the reasons may be that health care,
        and energy and food costs that add a lot to the gvt budget are heading up much faster than
        the stated CPI.

Comment

Originally posted by charliebrown View Post
          ...I saw an article in the mainstream media last week about tame inflation, I wanted to hurl.
          food, energy, healthcare the majority of my expenses are quickly accelerating...
          I figure any time they even bother to make a public statement about inflation (of course assuring us that it is low), that's a sure sign it is going up. Why bother to publicly downplay something unless it is happening?

My hardware / software experiences are similar to yours. Bloatware seems to soak up any additional hardware performance.

Comment

Originally posted by flintlock View Post
            And I hear Yachts are more powerful than ever, for the same price. What's the problem?
            been to a boat show lately? (tho eye hear yer sarcasm...)

Comment

Originally posted by zoog View Post
              I figure any time they even bother to make a public statement about inflation (of course assuring us that it is low), that's a sure sign it is going up. Why bother to publicly downplay something unless it is happening?
              precisely!
              how else could they play '3 card monte'....

Originally posted by zoog View Post
              My hardware / software experiences are similar to yours. Bloatware seems to soak up any additional hardware performance.

its simply amazing how fast the centrino duo and 4gigs of ram on my 2007 HP laptop got sucked up...
              why i stopped 'upgrading' software in 2004 (cept for AV/firewall items) and my 1998 eudora still works like a charm!

Comment

Originally posted by c1ue View Post
                http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/...ley-an-earful/

Misjudging your audience is hardly unusual for those in positions of power. In 2007, then-presidential candidate Barack Obama asked an Iowa crowd if they had seen what Whole Foods -- an upscale supermarket more popular in big cities than in the Corn Belt -- charges for arugula.
                NEVER MIND WHAT THE MEDICAL 'insurance' CO'S & PROVIDERS ARE NOW CHARGING.....
                he should've stuck with keeping an eye on the arugala...and we hear 'regrets' from Baucus this morning that he didnt pay more attention to 'cost controls' ???
                just how much longer will We The People have to suffer under these fools?

Comment

If you want to look at a cheese burger, there's an app for that.

Comment

"When was the last time, sir, that you went grocery shopping?" one audience member asked.

Yes yes yes finally.

These people don't buy their own food or fill their own tanks, that is, if they even drive at all. We've made that point many times on Itulip.

Comment

Price of Tech is artificially suppressed due to: (1) publicly funded R&D; (2) it's significance to the social agenda currently in play.
                      The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge ~D Boorstin

Comment

Originally posted by charliebrown
                        Is it really more powerful?? The hardware gets faster, but if it follows in the footsteps of microsoft, the apps will get fatter.
                        I bought one of the first personal computers in the 70's and gee whizz, I could write letters, and balance my check book, and do my taxes whizz bang fast.

I use old hardware at home. My top performing computer last year was a 1.2GHz P3. Turbo tax no longer runs acceptably on this hardware. I had to buy another machine (P4 2.6ghz) . I used to run turbo tax on an apple mac in the 80s at 8Mhz 6800. 256KB memory. So has this hardware speed really bought me much.
                        It might not even be the apps.

This computer I'm writing from was bought late last year as a replacement for one I had purchased (and been using as a main device) since late 2006.

The reason for the replacement? Microsoft somewhere in May 2010 inserted updates that did something to the OS/drivers such that my computer became unusable. I know because I had not installed a new program on there for at least 1 year.

It could also have been a virus/trojan, but if so, it defied all the half dozen software programs I put in to try and find/scrub it. Backing out the updates worked, but only briefly for a couple months even despite (on one occasion) my actually disabling all internet access for 2 weeks (while traveling).

And the most damning evidence: I'm seeing the same odd behaviors with this new machine:

1) The trackpad is now so sensitive that I regularly lose posts due to a 'Back' command being input somehow without my volition.
                        2) I regularly get my browser screens zoomed in/out, again without intending to
                        3) Occasionally I get an effect where the trackpad acts as if I was holding down the main mouse button even though I'm not.

None of these things are crippling, but for the old machine - the various effects would do all sorts of nasty things to my windows and open programs.

Comment

No, though I can hear them racing up and down Lake Lanier from my deck.

Are you telling me they are not getting faster? Bigger for sure right?

Comment

I would upgrade if I were you. 64 bit computing will be a need with hyperinflation. :-)

Comment

coming soon to our nearly-endless presidential campaign season . . .

"Mr. Chairman. I want to make something perfectly clear. That I have never, will never, and can not, eat an iPod ... correction, I meant iPad. Like my fellow Americans ... won't."

Comment

Working...
                              X