Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold-Silver Ratio

gold_30_day_silver.png
    http://www.goldprice.org/gold-silver...ear_gold_price Looking at this graph, we see a huge shift in the last 30 days. What is going on?

When we take a wider view, we see that the last 30 years of Gold-Silver price ratio data, we have just about completed a continuous loop between 1975 and 2011.

gold_all_data_silver.png

I would suggest a "normal" band between 40 to 60 (currently, we are at 42.82). We are therefore at the bottom range of normal, suggesting that gold's price could rise by ~25% (or silver sinks by 20%).

EJ suggests gold, and to stay away from silver because the Central Banks don't have any to speak of. In Jul. 2008, one commentator suggested that all gold mines could shut down for 5 years and there still would be plenty of gold available for the economy's needs and uses. (http://seekingalpha.com/article/8525...ential-threats

This is based the very efficient recycling of gold (ie. old jewellery, gold fillings, gold plating, etc.). However, other precious metals are hand-to-mouth (eg. silver palladium, platinum, etc.) where small shutdowns or problems in the mining sector cause immediate rises in market prices.

If gold just keeps pace with i8nflation (ie. you don't win, but you don't lose), are the other precious metals a better investment? Retirement planning, for all the investment advisors I've ever talked to, always assume an appreciation of 8% to 10%. Pension plans usually assume 4% to 6% as they are more risk adverse. Precious metals have a significant carrying charge, and nobody pays you while you store it, they charge you. So when it comes time to sell, the capital appreciation had better pay handsomely if you are to just break even.

Comments by the experts?

Re: Gold-Silver Ratio

Originally posted by Glenn Black View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3794[/ATTACH]
    http://www.goldprice.org/gold-silver...ear_gold_priceI would suggest a "normal" band between 40 to 60
    How long to look back for a "normal"? When was the last time we had a QE1,QE2 QEx ? Long history suggests a "normal"of about 20.

Comment

LargoWinch makes some decent obserations on Rhodium; I've never studied that market in depth, but: if you have appetite for risk (or if you have Toxo) You have to decide if the last peak price was

1 a huge anomaly (never to be repeated) to the upside

or
      2 the current price is not due to a collapse of a primary use of Rhodium

If I had money to spare I would be up to my elbows in Rhodium research.

I'm famous on this board as being overweight Silver and trying my hardest to be critical of the pro-Silver side, BUT today I'm leaning toward the ratio (Au/Ag) going lower for a little while more. Impossible to tell though. Chilton seems to be backing Butler, the CFTC seems to be an enabler of the shorts, Silver that's supposed to exist has disappeared (speaking to the settled lawsuit about storage fees for nonexistent Silver, a practice we're pretty certain several Canadian banks are still doing and lots of European banks are rumoured to be doing)

BUT don't ask me for a plan of action; I will suggest you avoid Silver. I wouldn't wish a repeat of the 2008 price action on anyone (other than myself ; ( being the masochistic glutton for punishment that I am)

Originally posted by Glenn Black View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]3794[/ATTACH]
      http://www.goldprice.org/gold-silver...ear_gold_price Looking at this graph, we see a huge shift in the last 30 days. What is going on?
      what's toxo got to do with Rhodium? Glad you asked.
      http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/sapo...y09_index.html
      Last edited by Spartacus; February 28, 2011, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Glenn

Going back in history and taking a long view of an asset class like stocks, bonds commodities is very different than looking at a ratio of two instruments in that class. I'd like to say we can simplify this so we can assess turning points. Dont think ratio will be conclusive in the long run.

The intuitive side of me has me reading up on sentiment (Larry William's book). With the volatility in this market, ratios may not apply as I think raw emotion will take over. Who would have thought in 2000 gold would be at 1400? I think the same surprise factor will come in time with these ratios.

Comment

EJ suggests gold, and to stay away from silver because the Central Banks don't have any to speak of.
          While it's true that Central Banks don't hold silver (although China is starting to), they also didn't start buying Gold in earnest until the last couple of years after the price went up. This and other actions of the CB's shows me that Central Bankers are a pretty dumb lot in many ways. Remember, these are the guys who "didn't see this coming."

For centuries the GSR was approx. 16:1 to 20:1. During the last few years it has been in the 60:1 to 80:1 range, mostly in the 60's. Right now it's in the low 40's and dropping.

As the ratio gets smaller, it might be smart to trade some Ag for Au. Then when the ratio expands again, trade the Au back to Ag to increase the number of ounces without paying any money for them.

But what if the ratio is approaching it's natural level and doesn't go back up? IF it's true that physical Ag will be in increasingly short supply for needed applications, the ratio might only go down.

What do people here think the chances are of the GSR dropping to 20:1 or lower, and staying there?

What is the outlook for physical Ag over the next 10-30 years?

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

I am overweight in silver and recently have been swapping gold for more silver. From reading EJ, I think one's reasons for going in Gold vs Silver depends on objectives (former is more insurance in a "sudden stop" susceptible world vs potential speculative investment factor with silver).

Anyway, technically, the "weekly" 50 and 200 WMA silver:gold ratio just showed a bullish golden crossover - hence, higher probability silver goes up faster than gold at least mid term.

Comment

Working...
            X