Another Golden Spike in the Electoral Coffin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Golden Spike in the Electoral Coffin

The speaker in waiting was waiting to speak, perched atop a bale of hay on a small platform outside the Spread Eagle Tavern, where the windows were draped with patriotic red, white and blue bunting.

Back in his home state on the weekend before the biggest election of his career, John A. Boehner absent-mindedly flicked a hand through his hair, though it was already perfectly in place. He listened as one local conservative after another railed against Washington and the federal government and the Congress that Mr. Boehner has inhabited for 18 years, only to emerge now, perhaps improbably, as the face of much hungered-for change.

“Look, I have got to tell you straight up,” he begins, “because I am not Nancy Pelosi, I am not Barack Obama. I say what I mean, and I mean what I say.”

He is also playing it safe, refusing to answer reporters’ questions about substantive topics, including the recently foiled terrorist effort to mail explosives to the United States.

Instead, he offers a sharp stump speech, tightened to about six minutes.

He presents himself as a regular guy, an unlikely leader who sort of stumbled into elective office. His perma-tan, the result of many hours on many golf courses, has faded — either because he is working too much or in a strategic effort to — literally — tone down his appearance.

Mr. Boehner is also dressing the part of regular guy, a dramatic departure from his Washington wardrobe of designer suits and ties. On Saturday, he wore blue jeans, a checkered shirt, and a blue fleece pullover with the collar turned up. On Sunday, he looked like an overgrown schoolboy in blue chinos, and a white collared shirt covered by a cable sweater with the cuffs slightly rolled at his wrists.

Most striking is his argument against Washington, where he has served as the Republican leader for the last four years and was responsible for delivering Republican votes, even his own, for the big financial system bailout in 2008.

“Our job in Washington is to respect the Constitution and to respect the will of the American people,” he said at an appearance at a Republican tailgate party at the Muskingum County Fairgrounds in Zanesville.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/01/us...ef=todayspaper

At least the craven Democrats were steered by Goldman to running a black man. Is there anything in the above that doesn't scream hypocrisy, or do I have it all wrong- this is electoral change. Politicians will be forced to push aside the FIRE Oligarchy or lose office. Ah...Right

Re: Another Golden Spike in the Electoral Coffin

“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.”

Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Another Golden Spike in the Electoral Coffin

There must be a hundred Mencken's for our dilemma.

Comment

Working...
      X