Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold, Energy, and the Problem of Capital Storage- gregor

Gold, Energy, and the Problem of Capital Storage
    One of the reasons that gold retains its competitiveness as a capital-storage unit is the rather slow and plodding rate at which supply is brought to market. Since 1900, compound annual growth of world gold production comes in at 1.098%. That is below the increase for a number of other natural resources but in particular it’s well, well below the rate of credit production–the “resource” which now plagues the developed world. Indeed, the over-production of credit the past twenty-five years has once again driven capital back into hard assets such as gold. This brings up an intriguing subject: the conversion of resources into financial capital, and the conversation of financial capital back into resources. First, let’s take a look at the chart: World Gold Production in Metric Tons 1900 – 2008.

The migration of capital, between the world of natural resources and the world of finance, has been addressed by any number of thinkers, one of the more compelling being Harold Hotelling. Writing in the Journal of Political Economy in 1931, Hotelling proposed that a rational producer of resources would only be inclined to extract and sell that resource if the investment opportunities available with the capital proceeds were greater than simply leaving that resource to appreciate in the ground. So, given Hotelling’s theory of resource extraction, what has happened to gold production since the year 2000? Does the chart reflect geological and cost limits to increasing gold production, even as the price rose from $250.00 to $1000.00 per ounce? Or, has there been some moderate yet gathering decision on the part of global gold producers to extract gold more slowly? After all, why extract gold to merely convert gold into paper currency, beyond the need to pay for the cost of production and provide, say, a dividend to shareholders? In other words, at the rate at which the price has been rising, why hurry to extract the gold?

These same questions have long been asked in the world of energy extraction as well. Why did global oil production advance so quickly into late 2003 as price was rising towards the high thirties, only to peak out for the past 6 years as price skyrocketed? Well, we can safely assume that oil production in the West, governed mostly by for-profit enterprise, was doing everything possible to lift production. In short, they couldn’t. But in contrast to BP, Shell, Exxon, Total, Chevron, and Conoco, what about the NOCs–the National Oil Companies? Is it possible they were inclined to apply some form of scarcity rent, holding back production slightly? Echoing statements made at least twice last decade, King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia repeated himself this Summer when he remarked about future Saudi oil production: “I told them that I have ordered a halt to all oil explorations so part of this wealth is left for our sons and successors God willing.” | see: Global Crude Oil Supply 2002-2010 in kbpd (this is updated with the latest data through July 2010)

As the United States has now embarked on a massive dollar devaluation program, in part to bust the CNY-USD peg, but mostly to mitigate the next leg down in real-estate and debt deflation, we should consider how resource extractors might behave. Clearly, given that both gold and oil production are now either flat or falling, what should a producer of these two commodities do with the proceeds of their sales? Furthermore, is it possible that individuals and institutions may also gain insight with their own capital allocation decisions, by taking a cue from resource producers? Two obvious possibilities are as follows. First, oil producers rather than chasing higher prices in dollars or holding back oil production might start to demand full or partial payment in gold. Meanwhile, gold producers might consider banking some of their capital not in cash, but also in gold. And yes, both oil and gold producers could simply leave more of the stuff in the ground. What may become more clear is that, beyond the need for operational cash, turning excess production of resources into paper currency will increasingly become, per Hotelling, a losing proposition.

http://gregor.us/currency/gold-energ...pital-storage/

Re: Gold, Energy, and the Problem of Capital Storage- gregor

thank you for posting! any posts tying oil & gold together i think are very useful...this oil/gold discussion is the basis of Another/FOA/FOFOA at FOFOA's blog. Another claimed that the Saudi's have been receiving partial payment in gold for some time. IMO, the only reason to sell gold is if several new Saudi Arabias are found in the US or a very US friendly state, or their alternative energy EROIE equivalent. If not, the dollar will have to continue to be abused to provide the illusion of economic growth to devalue the excess debt that exists that was taken on under the assumption that economic growth (and therefore oil production rates) would continue to grow ad infinitum.

Comment

i think gregor's argument also supports a point i've been making for some time: i think part of the price of oil is that it's being turned into a form of money, at least as far as money's "store of wealth" function. the saudis own oil wells, so they can pump more slowly as gregor suggests, to store some their wealth in its original, crude form. how do you do the same thing if you don't own an oil well? you buy oil and store it, or you buy oil futures and roll them, or you buy an etf that does that for you, or you buy stock in a production [as opposed to exploration or service] oriented oil company.

Comment

agreed - if you were the saudis though, after you exchange that oil for money, which fiat currency do you trust to store your oil wealth in? Which gov't do you trust to not debase your holdings, knowing once your oil is gone, so is your kingdom? and knowing that 10mm bbl/day x $80 = you need a currency that can absorb $800mm/day without distorting its trade effects (ie could the C$ take on $5.6B a week w/out increasing its value so much as to make their economy uncompetitive? Ditto CHF? Would their gov'ts want that money coming in?) Or would you want it in gold, knowing that gold will hold its value over time? Could put it in other tangibles as well?

Also think this is instructive for individual investors - for example, i owned the DXO double long oil ETF last fall, when DB announced they were closing it on 1-weeks notice due to anticipated regulatory pressure. ie the gov'ts didn't like individual investors bidding up the price of the world's most important economy. It was a very important lesson for me. If you believe in peak oil as I do, then I think the best way to invest your money for the long term is in physical gold & silver. B/c oil prices will rise, but as the situation gets hairier, IMO, gov'ts are NOT going to allow individuals & maybe companies to make the situations worse at the expense of their militaries' needs for oil. I would expect at some point to see a rash of nationalizations of major oil companies, & the regulation/dissolution of oil futures for all but the biggest commercial speculators & actual users. You could put your money in other physical commodities, but they are harder to store than gold & silver. This is longer term thinking, but i think is a very possible roadmap of how things could progress. Just my 2 cts...

Comment

i agree with the thrust of what you're saying. my 2nd biggest allocation, after precious metals, is to energy in the form of dividend paying canadian producers.

Comment

Originally posted by jk View Post
            i agree with the thrust of what you're saying. my 2nd biggest allocation, after precious metals, is to energy in the form of dividend paying canadian producers.
            Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by flintlock View Post
              Same here.
              Me three.

I own Crescent Point, Arc, Vermillion and Zargon. Began buying them in 2007
              and increased my holdings during the "late, great unpleasantness" of October 2008.

The only US domiciled oils I own are OXY and CVX.

Comment

I highly doubt gold producers will behave as oil producer do. The problem with "leaving it in the ground", unless the owner of the resource is the government in that jurisdiction [e.g. such as Saudi], is that the political risk in a period of rising prices is heightened dramatically. Governments never confiscate assets or raise taxes and royalties in a falling commodity price environment.

Gold producers have the advantage that they do not need to limit or defer their production as oil producers, because gold removed from the ground, processed, transported out of the mining jurisdiction to a refinery, and then refined and stored as bullion, is a much lower risk for the producer than "storing" it in the ground. Oil producers, unlike gold producers, have no practical way to easily store above ground any material portion of their in-ground reserves, and therefore will always be subject to more political risk in a rising commodity price scenario.

Comment

This summer I started buying BPT, MVO, PWE, ERF, on the dips.
                  I am selling DBO at the same time. I don't like the future decay in this vehicle.

I don't know if oil trusts are the best way to "hold" oil. I figured by holding the trusts, they are producing fields, and I am not running the risk of my company drilling a dry hole.

I agree that if push comes to shove, oil companies will be nationalized.

We can hope for a few things.
                  1) Your shares will be bought at the market price with newly printed money, and not just taken away.
                  2) The rhetoric will start to fly before the grab, then it's time to move out.
                  3) I saw someone maybe on financial sense web site also warn that if oil goes to the moon, it will be nationalized.
                  There "target" takeover price was $150 a barrel, sustained over a period of perhaps a year. I Don't know how
                  they came up with this number.

Comment

Originally posted by charliebrown View Post
                    I agree that if push comes to shove, oil companies will be nationalized.
                    Could gold also become nationalized when the dollar falls out of favor . . . confiscated for "national security"?
                    raja
                    Boycott Big Banks • Vote Out Incumbents

Comment

Anything is possible, but if you hold physical AU it will be harder to wrestle away, unlike paper securities held at a brokerage which can be taken away with a mouse click.

Any form of paper AU, GLD, GTU, CEF again can be snatched with a mouse.
                      I don't know about perth gold certs.

Comment

Working...
                      X