Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President Obama Falls Victim of Foreclosure Fraud‏ - Robo Signer

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/4cl...se-robo-signer

First we will start with a screen shot of one of Obama's Release of Mortgage...

Marshe Craine of Chase signed off on their release of mortgage.
    Now you ask, so what is wrong with that?
    Nothing on it's face, but you know how I roll...
    With all that is going on with the robosigning, forgeries, fabrications and LIES, we decided to dig into this to see if something was there to help educate the masses on the issues that all of us as Americans face...
    Guess what we found...
    President Obama is a victim of the robosigning phenomenon that has taken the financial industry by storm...
    How else would you explain this?
    Check it out...
    Random search of signature for Craine
    (Click to Enlarge)

Whoa, is that the same Marshe Craine "Vice President" of Chase that signed off, and was notarized I might add BY THE SAME NOTARY, on the Presidents Satisfaction of Mortgage?
    Let's compare...

Hmmm. I'm no handwriting expert but...
    Let' clarify if the same person notarized these documents...
    Obama Notary

Random Satisfaction Notary

Looks the same to me on the notary, so if these signatures turn out to be different, she is LYING on one of them, but hey, no big deal, it is just a "technicality", right?
    Not convinced yet?
    Okay, let's dig deeper...
    Let's see if this "Vice President" Marshe Craine is a MERS agent as well.
    Yep...

Oh, much better, that signature is much closer to the signature on the President's Satisfaction of mortgage...
    I feel much better now, don't you?
    Was getting a little nervous there for a second...
    Didn't MERS just come out with some statement about how they weren't involved an any fraud or something like that?
    Oh yea they did...
    Statement by CEO of Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems (MERS) “The MERS System is not fraudulent, and MERS has not committed any fraud.”

Statement by CEO of Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems (MERS) RESTON, Va.–(EON: Enhanced Online News)–Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems (MERS) Chief Executive Officer R.K. Arnold today issued the following statement regarding the organization and clarifying certain aspects of its operations: “The MERS System is not fraudulent, and MERS has not committed any fraud.” “MERS is one important … Read more
    Anyway, it is a good thing it was the same notary again or we would be in big trouble...

Here is another one just for fun now as a Chase VP...
    ~
    So you see, this whole Foreclosure-Gate crisis has nothing to do with the "deadbeat" borrowers, it never has.
    It has to do with the complete lack of the respect of the law by the banking industry.
    They got away with it up until now and are trying their damnedest to paper over their crimes.
    It is time to say no more...
    They tricked all of us, even you Mr. President, and completely disregarded the basic laws of this country to make a buck.
    I have been beating this drum, along with a few others, for years now and it is time to come to an end.
    Mr President, now that you have had the fraud perpetrated on you personally, what are you going to do about it?
    The system is broken and the foreclosures need to be stopped NOW.
    It is actually worse than you can imagine...
    Feel free to call or email me to discuss this further, Mr President.
    All documents supporting the screen shots above are available to the media upon request.
    The first national news media outlet that chooses to report this to the American Public will get an exclusive on a similar issue effecting another one of the President's mortgages...
    It is just as interesting, if not better than the above...
    For more on the above concerns, see here and here...
    ~

Re: President Obama Falls Victim of Foreclosure Fraud‏ - Robo Signer

Justice Roberts too.........

http://www.deanmostofi.com/?p=984

When Chief Justice John Roberts and his wife refinanced their $800,000 mortgage back in August 2004 they could not have possibly imagined that their Satisfaction of Mortgage, evidencing the full payoff of their loan, was being executed by a robo signer – someone who pseudo signs thousands of legal documents monthly without reading them and whose signature looks different each time. Neither could they have anticipated the fact that Marshe Craine, the infamous robo signer, would be executing a similar document for our future president,Barack Obama, eight months later. See Obama’s Release of Mortgage here.
    Chase sure knows how to attract powerful customers but when it comes to robo signing it treats us all fair and balanced. Way to go Chase and Ms. Craine.
    Dean Mostofi
    301-867-3887

Second version of Craine’s signature:

Very similar to above

Third version:

Fourth version:

Similar to the one above

Comment

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, our very own FIRE Chief.

Is there a documentation problem beyond the ability of his advisers (Oops, I almost wrote handlers) to remedy?

And while we're on the subject, what's that in your pocket. A veto ... or are you just happy to be here (screwing the country).
      Last edited by don; October 11, 2010, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Well, look what we have here, Obama is a victim twice now...........

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/4cl...er-robo-signer

Now for MORE fireworks...
        First we will start with a screen shot of ANOTHER ONE of Obama's Satisfaction of Mortgage...

Urban Roman signed off on their release of mortgage.
        Now you ask, so what is wrong with that?
        Nothing on it's face, but you know how I roll...
        With all that is going on with the robosigning, forgeries, fabrications and LIES, we decided to dig into this to see if something was there to help educate the masses on the issues that all of us as Americans face...
        Guess what we found AGAIN...
        President Obama is a victim AGAIN of the robosigning phenomenon that has taken the financial industry by storm...
        And it has been happening for OVER A DECADE behind the veil of MERS...
        How else would you explain this?
        Check it out...
        Random search of signature for Roman
        (Click to Enlarge)

Whoa, is that the same Urban Roman "Vice President" that signed off, and was notarized I might add BY THE SAME NOTARY, on the Presidents Satisfaction of Mortgage?
        Let's compare AGAIN...

Hmmm. I'm no handwriting expert but...
        Let's check another document just to be sure...

Well it is a good thing we did... I was getting worried there...
        Let's clarify if the same person notarized these documents...
        Obama Notary

Random Notary Search Beasley

Looks the same to me on the notary, BUT THIS TIME THE NOTARY SIGNATURES DO NOT MATCH EITHER, but hey, no big deal, it is just a "technicality", right?
        I feel much better now, don't you?
        Was getting a little nervous there for a second...
        Again, didn't MERS just come out with some statement about how they weren't involved an any fraud or something like that?
        Oh yea they did...
        Statement by CEO of Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems (MERS) “The MERS System is not fraudulent, and MERS has not committed any fraud.”

Statement by CEO of Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems (MERS) RESTON, Va.–(EON: Enhanced Online News)–Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems (MERS) Chief Executive Officer R.K. Arnold today issued the following statement regarding the organization and clarifying certain aspects of its operations: “The MERS System is not fraudulent, and MERS has not committed any fraud.” “MERS is one important … Read more
        So you see, once again, this whole Foreclosure-Gate crisis has nothing to do with the "deadbeat" borrowers, it never has.
        It has to do with the complete lack of the respect of the law by the banking industry.
        They got away with it up until now and are trying their damnedest to paper over their crimes.
        It is time to say no more...
        They tricked all of us, even you Mr. President, TWICE so far, and completely disregarded the basic laws of this country to make a buck.
        I have been beating this drum, along with a few others, for years now and it is time to come to an end.
        Mr President, now that you have had the fraud perpetrated on you personally TWICE, what are you going to do about it?
        The system is broken and the foreclosures need to be stopped NOW.
        It is actually worse than you can imagine...
        This is FRAUD period.
        Try taking a forged notarized document and submitting it to you local land records and see what happens...
        In Florida it is a FELONY.
        117.105 False or fraudulent acknowledgments; penalty.-A notary public who falsely or fraudulently takes an acknowledgment of an instrument as a notary public or who falsely or fraudulently makes a certificate as a notary public or who falsely takes or receives an acknowledgment of the signature on a written instrument is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s, 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
        117.107 Prohibited Acts
        (1) A notary public may not use a name or initial in signing certificates other than that by which the notary public is commissioned.
        (2) A notary public may not sign notarial certificates using a facsimile signature stamp unless the notary public has a physical disability that limits or prohibits his or her ability to make a written signature and unless the notary public has first submitted written notice to the Department of State with an exemplar of the facsimile signature stamp.
        (3) A notary public may not affix his or her signature to a blank form of affidavit or certification of acknowledgment and deliver that form to another person with the intent that it be used as an affidavit or acknowledgment.
        (4) A notary public may not take the acknowledgment of or administer an oath to a person whom the notary public actually knows to have been adjudicated mentally incapacitated by a court of competent jurisdiction, where the acknowledgment or oath necessitates the exercise of a right that has been removed pursuant to s. 744,3215(2) 0r (3 ), and where the person has not been restored to capacity as a matter of record.
        (5) A notary public may not notarize a signature on a document if it appears that the person is mentally incapable of understanding the nature and effect of the document at the time of notarization.
        (6) A notary public may not take the acknowledgment of a person who does not speak or understand the English language, unless the nature and effect of the instrument to be notarized is translated into a language which the person does understand.
        (7) A notary public may not change anything in a written instrument after it has been signed by anyone.
        (8) A notary public may not amend a notarial certificate after the notarization is complete.
        (9) A notary public may not notarize a signature on a document if the person
        whose signature is being notarized is not in the presence of the notary public at the time the signature is notarized. Any notary public who violates this subsection is guilty of a civil infraction, punishable by penalty not exceeding $5,000, and such violation constitutes malfeasance and misfeasance in the conduct of official duties. It is no defense to the civil infraction specified in this subsection that the notary public acted without intent to defraud. A notary public who violates this subsection with the intent to defraud is guilty of violating s. 117.105.
        (10) A notary public may not notarize a signature on a document if the document is incomplete or blank. However, an endorsement or assignment in blank of a negotiable or nonnegotiable note and the assignment in blank of any instrument given as security for such note is not deemed incomplete.
        (11) A notary public may not notarize a signature on a document if the person whose signature is to be notarized is the spouse, son, daughter, mother, or father of the notary public.
        (12) A notary public may not notarize a signature on a document if the notary public has a financial interest in or is a party to the underlying transaction; however, a notary public who is an employee may notarize a signature for his or her employer, and this employment does not constitute a financial interest in the transaction nor make the notary a party to the transaction under this subsection as long as he or she does not receive a benefit other than his or her salary and the fee for services as a notary public authorized by law. For purposes of this subsection, a notary public who is an attorney does not have a financial interest in and is not a party to the underlying transaction evidenced by a notarized document if he or she notarizes a signature on that document for a client for whom he or she serves as an attorney of record and he or she has no interest in the document other than the fee paid to him or her for legal services and the fee authorized by law for services as a notary public.
        EMPLOYER LIABLE FOR ACT OF NOTARY
        (6) The employer of a notary public shall be liable to the persons involved for all damages proximately caused by the notary's official misconduct, if the notary public was acting within the scope of his or her employment at the time the notary engaged in the official misconduct.
        I am sure there are similar laws in every state.
        Again as always, feel free to call or email me to discuss this further, Mr President.
        All documents supporting the screen shots above are available to the media upon request.
        For more on the above concerns, see here and here...

Comment

Camtender,

check out Marshe Craine -- she may not even be a real person! from one of the comments on 4closurefraud October 11, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Great job, Mr. Redman! Have you researched the names of the persons on the documents? The spelling on the name “Marshe Craine” is so unusual that I can find only one person by that name in the entire country in the free public records search. She’s from Washoe County, Nevada, just like the Marshe Craine who signed the documents, but I’ll eat my hat if she’s ever been a bank vice president. Her old My Space page said she worked at “Port of Subs.” Is it possible that Marshe Craine’s identity has been stolen?

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
            Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, our very own FIRE Chief.

When I saw the title of the thread I thought it was going to be a story about a major screw up on a mortgage on the White House, complete with foreclosure proceedings underway and the President under threat of having to pitch a tent in the Rose Garden after the bank changed the locks.

Now THAT would have been news...

Comment

Well here is how it is done -- again from 4closurefraud.org - Exclusive Bombshell of Foreclosure Fraud – Full Deposition of TAMMIE LOU KAPUSTA Law Office of David J Stern

HEY JUDGE COX, THIS IS WHAT THE MOTION TO QUASH IS PROTECTING!

~
              MY GOD!

~
              WHERE ARE THE FEDERAL AGENTS!!!

~
              “I personally did not do it because I refused to do it.”
              “I wasn’t going to falsify a military document.”
              “I was told that that’s fine, somebody else on your team will do it.”

~

This just in and it is unbelievable!

We are neck deep in issues today so I do not have time to go through and highlight everything, and there is a lot, but here are some snips…

TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS IN ITS ENTIRETY

THIS SHOULD BE THE BOMBSHELL THAT STOPS IT ALL IN FLORIDA

MORE TO FOLLOW ON THIS

1 STATE OF FLORIDA
              OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
              2 DEPARTMENT OF LEGAL AFFAIRS

3 AG # L10-3-1145

5 IN RE:

6 INVESTIGATION OF LAW OFFICES
              OF DAVID J. STERN, P.A.

8 ____________________________/

12 DEPOSITION OF TAMMIE LOU KAPUSTA

16 12:11 p.m. – 1:58 p.m.
              September 22, 2010
              17 Office of the Attorney General
              110 Southeast 6th Street, 10th Floor
              18 Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301

1 P R O C E E D I N G S
              2 – - -
              3 Deposition taken before Kalandra Smith, Court
              4 Reporter and Notary Public in and for the State of
              5 Florida at Large, in the above cause.
              6 – - -
              7 THEREUPON:
              8 TAMMIE LOU KAPUSTA
              9 having been first duly sworn or affirmed, was examined
              10 and testified as follows:

1 Q Let’s go to the assignments of mortgage. They
              2 were prepared in-house?
              3 A Yeah.
              4 Q You’re smiling. You want to tell me about
              5 them?
              6 A Assignments were done sometimes after the
              7 final judgement was entered.
              8 Q Do you know why that is?
              9 A Because that’s what we were directed to do

19 Q Can you tell me the execution of the
              20 assignments, how it worked?
              21 A Assignments were prepared again from the
              22 casesum. All of our stuff comes from the casesum. They
              23 would be stamped and signed by a notary or not. Per
              24 floor we had a designated spot to place them and Cheryl
              25 would come once a day and sign them.
              1 Q Sign them as what?
              2 A As –
              3 Q For the bank?
              4 A Correct.
              5 Q Or for MERS or whoever it was for?
              6 A Correct.
              7 Q Would these notaries be there watching her as
              8 she signed?
              9 A No.
              10 Q She would just sit there and sign stacks of
              11 them?
              12 A Correct. As far as notaries go in the firm I
              13 don’t think any notary actually used their own notary
              14 stamp. The team used them.
              15 Q There were just stamps around?
              16 A Yes.
              17 Q And you actually saw that?
              18 A I was part of that.
              19 Q You did it? Are you a notary?
              20 A No, I’m not.
              21 Q Did you sign as a witness?
              22 A I did not. I signed as a witness on one
              23 document and after that I decided that I didn’t want to
              24 put my name as a witness anymore.
              25 Q Tell me about the stamps. You stamped them?
              1 A Yeah, I had stamps. Each team had a notary on
              2 them or notaries that I was aware of. Whether they were
              3 or weren’t wasn’t –
              4 Q You had stamps?
              5 A Correct. We would stamp them and they would
              6 get signed.
              7 Q Stamp them in blanks?
              8 A Yes.
              9 Q Who would sign them?
              10 A Other people on the team that could sign the
              11 signature of the person or just a check on there or
              12 whatever.
              13 Q Was that common practice?
              14 A Yes.
              15 Q Was that standard practice?
              16 A Pretty much.
              17 Q What about the witnesses?
              18 A Those would be signed by juniors who were –
              19 Q Standing there?
              20 A Here, sign this. It has to go to Cheryl, sign
              21 it. Then it would go and sit at the desk where Cheryl
              22 would sign everything.
              23 Q Out of view of the notary and out of view of
              24 the witnesses?
              25 A Correct.
              1 Q Do you know who implemented this procedure?
              2 A Cheryl.
              3 Q Cheryl did?
              4 A Um-hum.
              5 Q Did anybody else sign with the firm for the
              6 banks?
              7 A Yes.
              8 Q Who was that?
              9 A There were people that were responsible for
              10 signing Cheryl’s name. Cheryl, Tammie Sweat, and Beth
              11 Cerni. Those were the only three people that could sign
              12 Cheryl’s name. If you ever look at assignments you’ll
              13 see that they are not all the same.
              14 MS. EDWARDS: What are the names again?
              15 Cheryl, Tammie?
              16 THE WITNESS: Tammie Sweat and Beth Cerni.
              17 MS. EDWARDS: Could you spell that.
              18 MS. CLARKSON: C-E-R-N-I.
              19 BY MS. CLARKSON:
              20 Q Did they practice Cheryl’s signature?
              21 A I would assume so.
              22 Q Did you ever see them?
              23 A Not practicing but I’ve seen them sign it.
              24 Q Did you see somebody sign Cheryl’s name?
              25 A Yes.
              1 Q That wasn’t Cheryl?
              2 A Yes. All the time.
              3 Q Did Cheryl know about this?
              4 A Yes.
              5 Q Was it at her direction?
              6 A Yes.

16 Q Did anyone quit as far as you know due to the
              17 practices?
              18 A I’m sure but they wouldn’t come right out and
              19 say I quit because of the practices. I know that people
              20 had left because they were uncomfortable with the things
              21 that they were being asked to do, as most of us were.
              22 When it got really sticky there were a lot of us that
              23 weren’t here.
              24 Q What does really sticky mean?
              25 A They wanted us to start changing the documents
              1 and stuff and doing stuff that we weren’t supposed to be
              2 doing as far as service.
              3 Q What documents did they want you to change?
              4 A Manpower documents. A lot of judges started
              5 requiring, because of the Jane and John Doe issues,
              6 required that you have a military search for all the
              7 defendants. If you named a Jane and John Doe as an NKA
              8 you had to pull a military search on them. Unless you
              9 have somebody’s social security number technically you
              10 can’t pull a military search supposedly.
              11 The program that we used for the program that
              12 we used, you could put in the main defendant’s social
              13 security and John or Jane Doe’s name and it would give
              14 us a military search saying that they were in the
              15 military.
              16 Q You would get their social security number
              17 because the bank documents contained it?
              18 A Correct. The lenders, the referrals had the
              19 socials.
              20 Q Did you put the social in on everybody to find
              21 out their address for service?
              22 A Not everybody. I personally did not do it
              23 because I refused to do it. I wasn’t going to falsify a
              24 military document. I was told that that’s fine,
              25 somebody else on your team will do it.
              1 Q What do you mean falsify a military document?
              2 A Well, I’m using the main defendant’s social
              3 security number on somebody else’s name, not his name.
              4 John Doe and the main defendant was James, I was taking
              5 James’ social security number and putting John Doe’s
              6 name in there. I wasn’t but that’s what the practice
              7 was. The judges started saying we’re not going to
              8 consider service completed until –
              9 Q There’s a miliary search?
              10 A Correct.
              11 Q So why wouldn’t they use the right social
              12 security number for the right person?
              13 A Because you don’t have a social for an NKA or
              14 unknown tenant. They wouldn’t enter a final judgement
              15 unless the military doc was there.
              16 Q So you just used anybody’s?
              17 A Correct.

9 A So what we had to do from that point, again
              10 the affidavits were still split in two pages, at that
              11 point we were supposed to be sending them back to the
              12 banks to be signed now. The problem being that a lot of
              13 times we wouldn’t get them back or executed in time for
              14 the hearings. So we had what they called signature
              15 pages that Tammie Sweat or someone else would have in
              16 their possession. If we couldn’t get it back from the
              17 bank executed in time we would just take a signature
              18 page and put it on the affidavit.
              19 Q What was on the signature page?
              20 A The signature and notary from the bank.
              21 Q Were these documents photocopied or were they
              22 original documents?
              23 A Some were photocopied.
              24 Q How would you get that many from a bank
              25 original? The bank supplied them to you.
              1 A Well, what would happen would be like if I had
              2 file A and that one didn’t go to hearing because there
              3 was something wrong with it and file B was going to
              4 hearing but it was the same bank, I would take the
              5 signature page from A and give it to B.
              6 Q Oh give it to another file?
              7 A And just re-execute this file.
              8 Q Okay. That was common practice?
              9 A Yes, after Cheryl couldn’t sign.
              10 Q Did Cheryl know?
              11 A Yes.
              12 Q Cheryl knew about all the practices because
              13 she is the one who ran the office?
              14 A She was the one who implemented them.
              15 Q Were there any other activities or practices
              16 over at David Stern’s firm that made you feel
              17 uncomfortable or that you were unwilling to do?
              18 A I don’t know how to answer that question.
              19 It’s a loaded one.
              20 Q Take your time.
              21 A Yeah. Some of the things that were done there
              22 just were not on the up and up.
              23 Q Explain to me in as much detail as you can
              24 what those things were.
              25 A I don’t even know where to start with it.

Now that’s some BULLSHIT!

MUCH MORE IN THE DEPO at scribd

View this document on Scribd

Comment

10 Q Did Cheryl know?
                11 A Yes.
                12 Q Cheryl knew about all the practices because
                13 she is the one who ran the office?
                14 A She was the one who implemented them.
                If I were Cheryl, I'd be looking for a good attorney.
                Most folks are good; a few aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePythonicCow View Post
                  If I were Cheryl, I'd be looking for a good attorney.
                  Remember that Judge Cox has quashed the AG's investigation. I presume because this kind of practice is probably not uncommon in the profession, and if the investigation was allowed to proceed would likely bring down the legal profession in the US.

Comment

Two more additions to this thread - Robo-signers: Mortgage experience not necessary

In an effort to rush through thousands of home foreclosures since 2007, financial institutions and their mortgage servicing departments hired hair stylists, Walmart floor workers and people who had worked on assembly lines and installed them in "foreclosure expert" jobs with no formal training, a Florida lawyer says.

In depositions released Tuesday, many of those workers testified that they barely knew what a mortgage was. Some couldn't define the word "affidavit." Others didn't know what a complaint was, or even what was meant by personal property. Most troubling, several said they knew they were lying when they signed the foreclosure affidavits and that they agreed with the defense lawyers' accusations about document fraud.

"The mortgage servicers hired people who would never question authority," said Peter Ticktin, a Deerfield Beach, Fla., lawyer who is defending 3,000 homeowners in foreclosure cases. As part of his work, Ticktin gathered 150 depositions from bank employees who say they signed foreclosure affidavits without reviewing the documents or ever laying eyes on them -- earning them the name "robo-signers."

The deposed employees worked for the mortgage service divisions of banks such as Bank of America and JP Morgan Chase, as well as for mortgage servicers like Litton Loan Servicing, a division of Goldman Sachs.

Ticktin said he would make the testimony available to state and federal agencies that are investigating financial institutions for allegations of possible mortgage fraud. This comes on the eve of an expected announcement Wednesday from 40 state attorneys general that they will launch a collective probe into the mortgage industry.

"This was an industrywide scheme designed to defraud homeowners," Ticktin said.
                    However, it appears clear from the dates on the Obama filings 1999, 2002 and 2005, that the practice was probably widespread even before 2007, as stated in the article above.

Also, good article about 4closurefraud.org - How 2 civilian sleuths brought foreclosure problems to light

More than a year before lenders, law firms and document companies began owning up to widespread paperwork problems with their foreclosure filings, Lisa Epstein and Michael Redman already knew that something was wrong — very wrong.

Redman, a former online automobile consultant, got his first taste of the problem in early 2008, when he tried to help a relative who was facing foreclosure.

As he tried to determine which of three or four supposed lenders held the note, Redman, 35, realized that not only did he not know the answer, neither did any of the companies that were asking for payment.

Epstein, a nurse who cares for cancer patients, also is going through foreclosure. She got her baptism in the world of shoddy foreclosure paperwork in the summer of 2009, however, when she tried to help a brain tumor patient keep her home.

Epstein helped draft a letter challenging the foreclosure because, as in Redman's case, it was unclear from court papers who owned the home's mortgage.

After arriving at the summary judgment hearing in her nurse's uniform, an emotional Epstein, 45, watched as the ill woman read their letter aloud in court. When the opposing attorneys never showed, the judge refused to finalize the foreclosure. The woman remains in her home as the legal wrangling continues.

For Epstein, who often helped her patients navigate disputes with their health insurance companies, the role of advocate wasn't new — but the thrill of a courtroom victory was.

"It was like something struck inside me, like this is what I'm compelled to do. I can be a nurse for people caught in this foreclosure crisis," Epstein said. "I remember thinking, 'I'm not an attorney, and there are definite obstacles, but maybe there's a role for me.' And I ran back to the hospital like I had wings. I felt like this is my purpose."

Within a year, she and Redman — who didn't know each other at the time — would leave their respective jobs to pursue their passion for helping others and exposing injustice in the foreclosure industry.

After meeting late last year at a foreclosure fraud seminar, they teamed up to become two of the nation's most influential civilian beat cops for the beleaguered foreclosure industry.

Equal parts agitators, activists and advocates, Redman and Epstein have made their presence felt in Florida and nationally through their respective websites, 4closureFraud.org and foreclosurehamlet.org.

Under a sun-drenched sky last week, Redman proudly perused his Web log to see recent visits from the Internal Revenue Service, the Homeland Security Department, the Justice Department, Fannie Mae, the Housing and Urban Development Department and the CIA, among others. Someone from the executive office of the president took a recent look, too, he said.

Major banks also are peeping at Redman's frequent postings and snarky analysis of embarrassing documents that appear to show foreclosure industry fraud.

Last week, he posted a deposition from a clerk at one of four Florida law firms that the state attorney general is investigating on suspicions that they're using fabricated documents to evict thousands of homeowners. She told investigators that the firm's employees regularly signed affidavits without reading them and put incorrect dates on documents.

"This kind of stuff goes on all the time, and it's everywhere," Redman said.

Problem foreclosure documents are the latest chapter in the housing crisis that triggered the Great Recession.

After a record 347,420 foreclosure filings and 102,134 bank repossessions in September, the U.S. is on pace to top 1.2 million foreclosures this year, up from about 1 million last year, according to new data from RealtyTrac, which collects and analyzes real estate records from across the country.

In foreclosure cases nationwide, bank officials have signed sworn affidavits, supposedly verifying their knowledge of the matters in question. However, after several bank officials told investigators they'd signed thousands of affidavits without reading them, the nation's foreclosure process has ground nearly to a halt as officials investigate the practice known as "robo-signing."

Major lenders JPMorgan Chase and Ally, formerly GMAC, have stopped evictions to check for bad paperwork in Florida and 22 other states that require court orders to seize property. Bank of America last week halted foreclosures while it reviews paperwork in all 50 states.

On Wednesday, Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller said he'd lead the new Mortgage Foreclosure Multistate Group's investigation of the problem and propose possible remedies. The bipartisan group includes state attorneys and state banking and mortgage regulators from all 50 states.

In Florida, where one of every 56 homes was in foreclosure proceedings in the third quarter of this year, Redman and Epstein have shone a light on efforts to ram cases through courts without much fact-checking.

Foreclosure defense attorney Chris Immel of Palm Beach County said the ongoing scandal was changing that practice nationally and in Florida.

"A lot of that has to do with the activism of people like Mike and Lisa. They get a lot of attention, and a lot of people look to them because they're very active with their blogs and their activism," Immel said.

Whether they're being courted by prominent print news outlets or interviewed on cable television news shows, doing conference calls with state officials or protesting on courthouse steps, Redman and Epstein are consumed by their new roles.

They've filed briefs with the Florida Supreme Court and sent questionable documents to state investigators, the FBI, the Justice Department and numerous banking regulators.

Earlier this year, they led two busloads of people to the state capital in Tallassee to protest a proposed change in Florida law that would have allowed foreclosures without court orders. The measure was defeated.

When it appeared several weeks ago that President Barack Obama might sign legislation that could weaken fraud protections in foreclosure cases, Redman and Epstein posted an action alert, urging people to call the White House and voice their opposition.

"At one point, so many people were calling (the comment line) that you couldn't even get through. I absolutely think our silent army is not being silent anymore," said Karen Pooley of Seattle, a 48-year-old building material saleswoman who credits Epstein's website with teaching her how to find evidence of fabricated paperwork. She ended up finding suspicious documents that helped a friend get his foreclosure sale canceled.

"Not postponed, but canceled," said Pooley, who's also fighting her own foreclosure and organizing local volunteers to look for more bad documents. "Lisa was very helpful in teaching me how to search and get this army started."

Andrew Delaney, who's fighting the foreclosure of his home in Ashburnham, Mass., drove all the way to Florida in the spring to meet with Redman. He said Redman's advice on checking court documents for flawed paperwork has allowed him to avoid foreclosure for more than two years as banks try to prove who holds his note.

"The information they provided gave me the inspiration to do more research on my own and to help other people. I just took the position where I have to help others. I just have to."

Comment

Working...
                    X