Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Who Had No Mortgage Faced Foreclosure Anyway

By Ann Woolner

Oct. 8 (Bloomberg) -- Jason Grodensky paid cash for a South Florida home last December. With no mortgage and full ownership, he had no fear of foreclosure.
    And yet, Bank of America foreclosed on the house seven months later, according to the South Florida Sun Sentinel. The court-ordered foreclosure took place July 15.

Grodensky tried for months to get answers from the lawyers and lenders involved. He got nowhere until he contacted the newspaper which started poking around. Now, Bank of America says it will straighten out the mess at its own cost, the Sun Sentinel reports.
    Banks that are suspending foreclosures in much of the country call mistakes in paperwork mere technical errors. This implies that the foreclosures, or most of them, were otherwise on solid legal ground and that any mistakes were the unintended result of trying to handle too many cases in too little time.

No harm. No foul, right?

Not true. A great deal of harm has been inflicted, and not just on the rare homeowner wrongly judged to be delinquent.

What’s happened over the past few years is that the very system of keeping track of who owns what property in the U.S. has been undermined by banks too busy to bother with doing it correctly.

This bad record-keeping became an enormous problem for banks when the housing market collapsed and borrowers defaulted. Missing the proper paperwork, foreclosure mills turned out documents misidentifying mortgage holders and containing multiple errors and omissions.

Breakdowns

Signing hundreds of documents a day, bank personnel never checked for accuracy but said they did, sometimes forging other people’s signatures. Notary publics lied about witnessing those signatures and judges with civil dockets bulging with foreclosure cases didn’t inspect the papers before granting the foreclosures in a matter of seconds.
    Why worry? Typically, the borrower was a no-show, anyway.
    (And that’s in the states that offer some judicial protection to the borrower before their homes are taken away. In the rest of the country, no court even pretends to scrutinize documents before foreclosures.)

If judges had taken a closer look, they probably would have seen what Judge Arthur M. Schack in Brooklyn found when he actually read the foreclosure papers filed with his court.

In one case, for example, Deutsche Bank National Trust Co. filed to foreclose even though it had no legal right to do so, having already sold the mortgage to Goldman Sachs, the judge pointed out in an order.

Absent Witness

Besides, one of the people signing the documents did so as vice president at two different firms. If he had somehow managed to change jobs on that day, Schack said, it would have been a conflict of interest for him to sign in both capacities.

In 46 out of 104 foreclosure motions Schack decided over a two-year span ending last year, the documents were so full of error that he refused to approve the foreclosures, the New York Times reported.

As to how many foreclosures he rejects that return later in good form and get approved, “I don’t keep score,” Schack said yesterday in a telephone interview.

“Some do come back and do clean up the paper work,” he said. “Others are out there suspended in limbo land.”

Skipping Step

It’s come to this because banks took a giant record- keeping shortcut to feed the insatiable hunger for securities backed by mortgages. They were too busy to do what had been done throughout U.S. history: record in a public deed room at the county courthouse each time a piece of property changed hands and each time a lien was filed.
    How archaic that whole county courthouse thing seems, when you can digitize the information and never leave your chair.

That’s what banks did in 1997. They created the Mortgage Electronic Registration System, which computerized, centralized and privatized deed records on some 60 million mortgages. The industry saved an estimated $1 billion in fees over the next decade.

“They simply dispensed with the recording system and have transferred what appears to look like trillions of dollars of real property without recording them,” says U.S. Representative Alan Grayson, a Florida Democrat who’s been digging into the issue.
    He points out that this deprived local governments of tax revenue from the transfers.
    It also deprives the public of accurate, accessible records of property ownership.

Grodensky’s Problem

While deed records were handed off to the electronic registration system, the borrower’s note promising to pay was sent on a circuitous route from loan originator to other mortgage firms and banks until it was pooled with other mortgages into trusts underwritten by banks and sold to investors.

For Jason Grodensky, the problem was that foreclosure proceedings that began before he bought the house in a short sale continued after he got ownership.

His case is probably rare. But the mortgage industry’s cavalier attitude toward rules and record-keeping is too common, too systemic, too long-running and too damaging to be sure of that. And in any case, it can’t be called mere technical error.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...n-woolner.html

Re: Man Who Had No Mortgage Faced Foreclosure Anyway

NEVER buy real estate in the USA for cash unless you have in return for the cash: a clear-title, as in a lacy document that you can frame and hang on your wall. The lacy document will include all of the following: a.) the name of the jurisdiction; b.) your name; c.) the legal description of the land; d.) a complete registration and number at the Land Titles Office; e.) what the land rights include (usually not minerals); f.) the transaction is done with a cashier's cheque which you buy at a Federal Reserve member bank in exchange for cash; g.) any exclusions to the title for land such as rights-of-way for natural gas pipelines or other utility lines; h.) a lawyer signing-off on the transaction and protecting your rights as a buyer; i.) OR, a property-title company with deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep pockets protecting your interest in the safety of the land title.

And then, if you get re-poed after paying cash via a cashier's cheque or your personal cheque, you sue your lawyer, the land-title company, and the jurisdiction, your realtor, the vendor of the property, among others. And you will win; the law will be on your side. You will collect damages galore.

But don't think that just because you bought into a trust-deed mess that you have clear-title to property. You have a mess. And then you have spousal rights from divorces to sort-out, taxes to sort-out, judgments to sort-out, and lenders who have lent on the property to sort-out and satisfy, permits to sort-out and satisfy, eco-frauds to satisfy, among other issues.

So, if these are the issues in buying real estate in the U.S, WHY BUY? And why buy at the vendor's price????????????? WALK-AWAY! Let them drown in their trust-deed messes, and they will drown.

Canada is calling. Mexico is calling. The entire world is beckoning. You will be well-treated in other countries, not America.

Comment

Stories like this just infuriate me more. Why would the american public allow these f*ckers to get those massive bailouts is beyond me. Shameful really. And to think bank of america is in line for another bailout. Gross really...

I hope people just start walking away from their loans. Im pretty sure there are plenty of cheap rentals out there.

Comment

People may walk away from their mortgages but I don't think too many of them will be walking away from their homes. Foreclosures are being frozen. Why move when you have free rent?

Comment

Cash Flow in the Age of FIRE ....

Comment

Originally posted by BigBagel View Post
            People may walk away from their mortgages but I don't think too many of them will be walking away from their homes. Foreclosures are being frozen. Why move when you have free rent?
            This is a problem, isn't it? The Demos are giving the dead-beats FREE RENT on homes that they don't own, and someone else is paying the mortgage for the house. Oh yes!

The banks should NOT get bail-outs from the Fed, and the dead-beats should not get free-rent on homes that they are not entitled to squat inside. And when someone defaults on a mortgage with next-to-nothing down on the house, that is what I would call, "a dead-beat".

The Obama Demos were elected to bring-in national health insurance in the USA, just like Canada's Medicare Programme, for everyone. But they were NOT elected to bail-out banks, nor to fund TARP, nor to bail-out dead-beats, nor to save bird sanctuary, nor to let the Fed destroy the dollar, nor to save General Motors, nor to pee-away money on stimulus, nor to apologize to the Islamic World, nor to apologize for America's past history, nor to erect trade barriers, nor to chant: "Buy American", nor to complicate and enlarge government, nor to shower more money on America's archaic and nationalistic public-school system, nor to demonize China, nor to demonize energy companies, nor to save AIG, nor to take campaign-contributions from banks, nor to enrich Goldman-Sachs, nor to try to pass Cap-'n-Trade, nor to play class-warfare with every issue, nor to destroy the savings of the elderly, nor to grow deficits, nor to encourage inflation.

The Obama-Demos are going to be gone, soon. And good-riddance! (They won't even know what hit them.) Obama will be a lame-duck President in his second term.
            Last edited by Starving Steve; October 08, 2010, 10:16 PM.

Comment

After talking to my mother on the phone, I am more nervous about this mortgage crisis than ever. I was talking to her about all the confusion on the paper work and how this gentleman was foreclosed on when he didn't even have a mortgage. She was telling me how it took her and my father months to get the title to their house and this was 10+ years ago when things were less complex. The bank, who they got their loan through, had sold it and told them it was not their responsibility anymore. It took a long time to track down who even had the title.

If they had problems over 10 years ago, how many people who have paid off their house recently can't figure out who holds their title. How many people don't go through all the phone calls and work to get a title sent to them. Are we going to see more people who technically own their homes have them taken away or not be able to sell them because of this mess?

I am so glad we got a mortgage through a bank who doesn't sell them to a third party. I have the urge to get it paid off sooner than late now though.

Comment

Working...
              X