Obama too timid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obama too timid?

I think I'll infer that they have little respect for him.

And neither do I.

Comment

Really?! I didn't see that coming!

Comment

Originally posted by HisHighnessDog View Post
        Having lived in Asia for almost 4 years (including Japan) I can tell you that bowing is a sign of respect, not subservience. It is their version of hand shaking. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.

They bow in Japan and Korea, but I've not seen people bow in other parts of Asia, particularly so to peers of equal status. Nodding and lowering of head yes, but definitely not the kind of bow where you bend down as low as Obama does.
        Last edited by touchring; September 13, 2010, 12:08 AM.

Comment

I'm no big fan of Obama, but I've never bought into the bowing criticism. Nor the criticism that his going around apologizing makes him some sort of wussy. We could use a little humility these days. I think Obama is just trying to be courteous. Does anyone really think he feels subservient to some of these foreign leaders? Its a way of trying to disarm and put at ease the other person. He is very aware of George W Bush's cocky cowboy image and is probably going overboard trying to impress foreign leaders with the fact that he is not the same way. There's plenty of better stuff to skewer Obama with than the "wimp" badge.

Comment

Imagine a Japanese or Chinese official flying across the world only to NOT shake the hands of their US hosts. It would come across to the US hosts as either (at best) cluelessly uncivilized or (at worst) incredibly rude. Bowing is how these people shake hands. Anyone who has spent a day in business over there knows this.

Originally posted by flintlock View Post
            I'm no big fan of Obama, but I've never bought into the bowing criticism. Nor the criticism that his going around apologizing makes him some sort of wussy. We could use a little humility these days. I think Obama is just trying to be courteous. Does anyone really think he feels subservient to some of these foreign leaders? Its a way of trying to disarm and put at ease the other person. He is very aware of George W Bush's cocky cowboy image and is probably going overboard trying to impress foreign leaders with the fact that he is not the same way. There's plenty of better stuff to skewer Obama with than the "wimp" badge.

Comment

Originally posted by HisHighnessDog View Post
              Imagine a Japanese or Chinese official flying across the world only to NOT shake the hands of their US hosts. It would come across to the US hosts as either (at best) cluelessly uncivilized or (at worst) incredibly rude. Bowing is how these people shake hands. Anyone who has spent a day in business over there knows this.
              If we had any other examples of national leaders bowing, whether Anglo leaders bowing to Oriental leaders, or vice versa, then I might appreciate your remarks more.

Heck, even in the pictures we see of Obama bowing, observe that the other leader is standing upright.
              Most folks are good; a few aren't.

Comment

honest question - is this photoshopped? I don't have a clue about that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by babbittd View Post

honest question - is this photoshopped? I don't have a clue about that stuff.
                  I have a hunch that that is not a bow of greeting, but rather the Saudi King placing a crown of sorts on Bush's head.

I have a vague memory that such actually happened.
                  Most folks are good; a few aren't.

Comment

Working...
                  X