Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laugh or Cry? New Wm Black...

on the economics and law(less) movement... and it's unbelievable:

"The dominant law and economics text on corporate law for years was by Easterbrook and Fischel. Judge Easterbrook is a colleague of Judge Posner on the 7th Circuit and Fischel was for a time Dean of the University of Chicago’s law school. They assert that “a rule against fraud is not an essential or even necessarily an important ingredient of securities markets” (1991: 283). Their book was written after Professor Fischel, as a consultant to three of the most notorious control frauds of the 1980s, tried out their theories in the real world – and found that they failed catastrophically. Fischel praised the worst frauds. Fischel & Easterbrook did not disclose to their readers that their theories were falsified in the real world. Note how extreme their claim was, the utter certainty of the claim, and the lack of any data supporting the claim – a claim they knew to be false. The taught students that, in the context of securities, we did not need:
    1. Any laws against securities fraud
    2. The FBI and the Department of Justice
    3. The SEC
    4. Any rules against fraud
    5. Any ability to bring civil suits
    Fraud is impossible because securities markets are “efficient” and act as if they were guided by an “invisible hand.” Markets cannot be efficient if there is accounting control fraud, so we know (on the basis of circular reasoning) that securities fraud cannot exist. Indeed, when Easterbrook and Fischel try to explain why the securities markets automatically exclude frauds their faith-based logic becomes even more humorous. They claim that honest securities issuers send one or more of three “signals” of honesty to guide investors to purchase their securities – and that only honest firms can send any of these three signals.
    1. Hire a top tier audit firm
    2. Have their CEO own a substantial amount of stock in the company
    3. Cause their firm to have extreme leverage
    In reality, accounting control frauds “mimic” each of these signals and each signal aids their frauds. Easterbrook and Fischel’s ideas are not merely wholly ineffective against accounting control fraud – they are outright criminogenic. That is why Fischel praised the real world accounting frauds when he was a consultant. Each of the three massive accounting control frauds that Fischel praised sent each of these three signals – and they sent them years before Easterbrook and Fischel wrote their book and made claims they had seen repeatedly falsified by Fischel’s fraudulent clients without warning their readers.
    Note the continuing damage that these three law and economics dogmas about “signaling” honesty had in the current crisis. Regulators continued to treat professionals as if they were “independent” and provided expert judgments on which regulators should rely. Basel II, for example, reduced capital requirements dramatically if the rating agencies gave a high rating to a toxic mortgage derivative. Economists, criminologists, and reality had long falsified the claim but theoclassical law and economics never challenges its foundational dogmas"

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2010/...aw-an-ass.html

Re: Laugh or Cry? New Wm Black...

Regulations were not de-regulated, they were de-criminalized....

Comment

I suppose it says something about both lawyers and the education system that this obviously insane assertion could pass by accepted and unnoticed. A generation of lawyers read that and never questioned it. They are all working in the field today. My daughter starts high school next week and I'm certain she could understand this. A blind dog could understand this.

Hello, Milton Friedman? Is that you?
      ScreamBucket.com

Comment

Actually, I think you could make a case that securities laws and regulations are irrelevant.

The case is as follows:

1) The insiders (i.e corporate executives and securities traders) will always have superior information than the regulators.
        2) Ethically and morally speaking, insiders are certainly no better than the average person.
        3) Access to superior information, combined with impaired ethics and morals, will lead to successful fraud, in spite of the regulators.

It's my feeling that securities markets are crooked, and will always be crooked, and that the common investor simply doesn't have a chance to succeed in the long run. Regulations and laws only create the illusion of safety, and will always be successfully gamed by insiders due to their inherently superior position over everyone else in the process.

I remember reading an op-ed piece by Lester Thurow many years ago. He argued that non-insiders who invest in the securities markets are crazy to do so because they can never win, no matter what regulations may or may not be in place. It seemed like a funny thing to read at the time but now I agree wholeheartedly.

Comment

Yay! Let's give up.

These people are not actually hijacking the economy, gutting industries and destroying jobs and wealth for personal gain, perverting the political process, suborning judges, raiding everyone's pensions, looting the treasury and destroying any future we might have because... we can't do anything about it?

The end result would be the same no matter what we do so we should just cede the field - that is, the economy - to the insiders and forget about it?

And the argument for the free market was... what exactly?

Then there's the minor problem of subsistence.

Maybe we can apply to be their butlers?

My favourite liberal, anti-market, Marxist New Yorker and Rolling Stone columnist Jim Grant said at the height of the crisis: "Where's the outrage?"

Got any?

The guy is simply arguing for prosecuting fraud.

Are you actually pro-fraud?

WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by oddlots View Post
            My favourite liberal, anti-market, Marxist New Yorker and Rolling Stone columnist Jim Grant said at the height of the crisis: "Where's the outrage?"

Got any?

The guy is simply arguing for prosecuting fraud.

Are you actually pro-fraud?

WTF?
            Of course I'm not pro-fraud-- don't be absurd. My position is, securities markets are a confidence game. How can they NOT be considered a confidence game? Confidence games work because of the informational asymmetry between the perpetrator and the victim. By limiting the victim's access to information, the perpetrator runs a successful game, and controls the outcome.

How on earth can anyone pretend to have access to the kind of information that the insiders have in the securities markets?? It's absolutely impossible. Consequently, a gross informational asymmetry exists. The lawman is helpless to prevent the crime, given that the lawman is at the same disadvantage as the victim (if not even worse off due to institutional incompetence and corruption).

My attitude is, forget the securities markets altogether. The only worthwhile investments are investments where YOU can control the information flows; i.e., investing in your own business, or that of your neighbors'.

Comment

Working...
            X