Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIA Software Developer Goes Open Source

CIA Software Developer Goes Open Source

For three years, Matthew Burton has been trying to get a simple, useful software tool into the hands of analysts at the Central Intelligence Agency. For three years, haggling over the code’s intellectual property rights has kept the software from going anywhere near Langley. So now, Burton’s releasing it — free to the public, and under an open source license.

Burton, a former Defense Intelligence Agency analyst and software developer, speaks today at the Military Open Source Software Working Group in Virginia. It’s a gathering of 80 or so national security tech-types who’ve heard a thousand stories about good ideas and good code getting sunk, because of squabbles over who owns the software.

Burton, for example, spent years on what should’ve been a straightforward project. Some CIA analysts work with a tool, “Analysis of Competing Hypotheses,” to tease out what evidence supports (or, mostly, disproves) their theories. But the Java-based software is single-user — so there’s no ability to share theories, or add in dissenting views. Burton, working on behalf of a Washington-area consulting firm with deep ties to the CIA, helped build on spec a collaborative version of ACH. He tried it out, using the JonBenet Ramsey murder case as a test. Burton tested 51 clues — the lack of a scream, evidence of bed-wetting — against five possible culprits. “I went in, totally convinced it all pointed to the mom,” Burton says. “Turns out, that wasn’t right at all.”
    A collaborative, open source platform for Analysis of Competing Hypotheses

Could be useful to weed out conspiracy theories?

Re: CIA Software Developer Goes Open Source

Sure but GIGO still applies.

Comment

Originally posted by mesyn191 View Post
      Sure but GIGO still applies.
      Yes, but a open project operated in a wiki like manner could well produce good results.

Comment

Agree - Hard to smell the garbage when you are surronded by it. Thinking mainly on the level of, information pollution, spin and ommision we live with today. Not sure the Java tool will help with that particular social affliction.

Thanks for posting Rajiv will take a look and leave the smell tests to my own nose and intution, as defective as it may be. ;-)
        Last edited by Diarmuid; August 05, 2010, 06:35 PM.
        "that each simple substance has relations which express all the others"

Comment

Program's based on ideas in a book I linked to ... I thought I had posted this years ago (I read the book years ago), but posted the link only last year

http://www.itulip.com/forums/showthr...ells#post76567

Comment

Originally posted by Rajiv View Post
            Yes, but a open project operated in a wiki like manner could well produce good results.
            Of course, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. The terse "GIGO" reply was for the latter part of your post re: conspiracy theories.

The programs' results will only be as good as the data it has to work with, so if you're determined to get a specific result and tweak the data until you do, well then the whole thing is pointless isn't it? I only bring that up because it seems many of the conspiracy theories get debunked again and again, only to get revamped or for their goal posts to get moved around to somewhere else. Look at the whole 9/11 Truther thing for instance.

Comment

Working...
            X