Smile or Die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smile or Die

You may be interested in this book from Barbara Ehrenreich. Smile or Die is a rebuttal to the rampant excess of positive thinking. I read the review in LeMonde:

"Perhaps the most eye-opening chapter in Ehrenreich’s book is the one in which she reveals how positive thinking gained a foothold in the corporate world. She charts the shift from management as a dull, quasi-scientific discipline to the new messianic, anti-rational brand of leadership, in which business leaders are pumped up with confidence in their own ability to take the right decision based on hunches and intuitions. She quotes business guru Tom Peters in the 1990s: “Things are moving too fast for us to sort out logically what’s going on.” And in that atmosphere of ebullient self-confidence, Ehrenreich argues, were sown the seeds of the financial meltdown. Anyone who was critical or unable to “get with the plan”, was got rid of, until there were no canaries left in the mine."

http://mondediplo.com/2010/02/11wishing

I also found the chapter on the ramifications on health care to be enlightening.

Re: Smile or Die

Originally posted by Badger View Post
    You may be interested in this book from Barbara Ehrenreich. Smile or Die is a rebuttal to the rampant excess of positive thinking. I read the review in LeMonde:

"Perhaps the most eye-opening chapter in Ehrenreich’s book is the one in which she reveals how positive thinking gained a foothold in the corporate world. She charts the shift from management as a dull, quasi-scientific discipline to the new messianic, anti-rational brand of leadership, in which business leaders are pumped up with confidence in their own ability to take the right decision based on hunches and intuitions. She quotes business guru Tom Peters in the 1990s: “Things are moving too fast for us to sort out logically what’s going on.” And in that atmosphere of ebullient self-confidence, Ehrenreich argues, were sown the seeds of the financial meltdown. Anyone who was critical or unable to “get with the plan”, was got rid of, until there were no canaries left in the mine."

http://mondediplo.com/2010/02/11wishing

I also found the chapter on the ramifications on health care to be enlightening.
    brilliant, thx!

Comment

The RSA Animate version of her talk

The video lecture on which it is based

Comment

Wow...that's puts a name to something I've been trying to put a finger on for years. I'm getting this book -- tx!!

Comment

This must be the "Now in Paperback" posting of her book. It was extensively discussed on iTulip on its initial release. As an author, always nice to see "second life" for a book.

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
            This must be the "Now in Paperback" posting of her book. It was extensively discussed on iTulip on its initial release. As an author, always nice to see "second life" for a book.
            The UK edition

From wiki

Bright-sided: How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America (2009).

In the United Kingdom this book is called Smile Or Die: How Positive Thinking Fooled America and the World 9 January 2010 Guardian/UK
            The original Itulip discussion was here - Don't Worry, Be Happy

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbS9jZOlQjc
              Last edited by chr5648; July 23, 2010, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X