Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile phones responsible for disappearance of honey bee

Mobile phones responsible for disappearance of honey bee

The growing use of mobile telephones is behind the disappearance of honey bees and the collapse of their hives, scientists have claimed.

Britain has seen a 15 per cent decline in its bee population in the last two years

Honey bee, (Apis mellifera mellifera), flying and collecting pollen from pussy willow, Germany, Bavaria Photo: ALAMY

Their disappearance has caused alarm throughout Europe and North America where campaigners have blamed agricultural pesticides, climate change and the advent of genetically modified crops for what is now known as 'colony collapse disorder.' Britain has seen a 15 per cent decline in its bee population in the last two years and shrinking numbers has led to a rise in thefts of hives.

Now researchers from Chandigarh's Punjab University claim they have found the cause which could be the first step in reversing the decline: They have established that radiation from mobile telephones is a key factor in the phenomenon and say that it probably interfering with the bee's navigation senses.

They set up a controlled experiment in Punjab earlier this year comparing the behaviour and productivity of bees in two hives – one fitted with two mobile telephones which were powered on for two fifteen minute sessions per day for three months. The other had dummy models installed.

After three months the researchers recorded a dramatic decline in the size of the hive fitted with the mobile phon, a significant reduction in the number of eggs laid by the queen bee. The bees also stopped producing honey.

The queen bee in the "mobile" hive produced fewer than half of those created by her counterpart in the normal hive.

They also found a dramatic decline in the number of worker bees returning to the hive after collecting pollen. Because of this the amount of nectar produced in the hive also shrank.

Ved Prakash Sharma and Neelima Kumar, the authors of the report in the journal Current Science, wrote: "Increase in the usage of electronic gadgets has led to electropollution of the environment. Honeybee behaviour and biology has been affected by electrosmog since these insects have magnetite in their bodies which helps them in navigation.

"There are reports of sudden disappearance of bee populations from honeybee colonies. The reason is still not clear. We have compared the performance of honeybees in cellphone radiation exposed and unexposed colonies.

"A significant decline in colony strength and in the egg laying rate of the queen was observed. The behaviour of exposed foragers was negatively influenced by the exposure, there was neither honey nor pollen in the colony at the end of the experiment."

Tim Lovett, of the British Beekeepers Association, said that hives have been successful in London where there was high mobile phone use.

"Previous work in this area has indicated this [mobile phone use] is not a real factor," he said. "If new data comes along we will look at it."

He said: "At the moment we think is more likely to be a combination of factors including disease, pesticides and habitat loss."

The UK Government has set aside £10 million for research into the decline of pollinators like bees, but the BBKA claim much more money is needed for research into the problem, including studies on pesticides, disease and new technology like mobile phones.

According to the University of Durham, England's bees are vanishing faster than anywhere else in Europe, with more than half of hives dying out over the last 20 years.

The most recent statistics from last winter show that the decline in honey bees in Britain is slowing, with just one in six hives lost.

This is still above the natural rate of ten per cent losses, but a vast improvement on previous years.

There has been an increase in the number of thefts of hives across the world and in Germany beekeepers have started fitting GPS tracking devices to their hives.
    It should also be noted that cell phones and cell phone towers operate at much higher power in India than they do in the US. That is because India tries to cover a larger area utilizing fewer towers.
    Last edited by Rajiv; June 02, 2010, 11:31 PM.

Re: Mobile phones responsible for disappearance of honey bee

Love the punchline: "There has been an increase in the number of thefts of hives across the world and in Germany beekeepers have started fitting GPS tracking devices to their hives."

Here have an albatross for the road.

We know not what we do. Truly.

Comment

I've been a pigeon fancier since I was a kid and have read that "electrosmog" has been shown to cause homing pigeons to lose their ability to navigate. Scientists suggest that the pigeons use the earth's magnetic field to orient themselves and find their way back. Not sure if it's been proven beyond any shadow of a doubt in pigeons, but it's certainly a possibility. If it's possible with birds I don't see why it wouldn't be possible with bees too. Although I think that things like GM crops and pesticides probably have a lot more to do with it.

Comment

Wow, an incredible find, I sure hope they continue to the research to get even more conclusive evidence.

Comment

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the nature/scale of this experiment, but this excerpt seems to imply they had a sample of two hives one being a control. If that is truly the extent of the test it is a meaningless conclusion and amateurish research, as variations in queens laying strength, hive activity etc. are normal. Beekeepers of which I am one, deal with weak hives all the time.

mm

Comment

It took researchers in India to find this out, which says much about who cares to unravel this problem. Reminds me of the controversy around cigarette smoking ;(

Comment

Originally posted by mememonkey View Post
              Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the nature/scale of this experiment, but this excerpt seems to imply they had a sample of two hives one being a control. If that is truly the extent of the test it is a meaningless conclusion and amateurish research, as variations in queens laying strength, hive activity etc. are normal. Beekeepers of which I am one, deal with weak hives all the time.

mm
              Then I suggest you take 20 of your hives, and do the experiment properly. Indian cell phones deliver a higher power at the antenna than US ones do. So you could probably leave the cell phones on 24 hours a day, in close proximity to the hive. See what results. You may then be able to repudiate the Indian researchers, and possibly eliminate one suggested cause. The downside is that you may lose 10 hives. But if you do, then that would have answered the question. You would need 40 cell phones, 20 hives and three months of monitoring the hives.

Comment

Great! We now have a solution to the problem: tell the beekepers to stop leaving their cell phones in the hive.

Now researchers from Chandigarh's Punjab University

Let me know when a real university can replicate the findings.
                Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho

Comment

Some time ago I found an article that said the decline was caused by a German pesticide company's product that affected the bees immune system and opened up infection from mites. Like this one - http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...angeredspecies

Comment

Honey bees are sensitive and delicate creatures. I suspect that in the end they will find that the cause of colony collapse disorder isn't a matter of "this OR that", but of "this AND that". EMF fields + pesticides + overcrowding + mites + travel stress + ...

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Sounds like weak science to me. I have a friend who keeps bees... weird random stuff happens to hives all the time. Sometimes they disappear completely. You couldn't conclude anything from studying just a single hive each. If it was a hundred hives each, with and without a transmitting cell phone, then it would be a little more convincing.

For that matter, I think I've seen some more convincing explanations of colony collapse disorder.

I don't discount the possibility that cell phones are a problem, but this particular study doesn't make things any clearer. In general, I am skeptical that radiation from cell phones could have significant biological effects, because the wavelength of the transmissions is too long to drive most chemical reactions. The cancer thing has always seemed highly unlikely to me on the basis that I don't see any 'hook' by which damage to genetic material could occur -- this radiation is energetic enough to drive molecular rotations, but not to excite vibrations or break bonds. However, biology is sufficiently complicated that I can't have too much faith in such top level plausibility arguments -- and some sort of navigational confusion sounds marginally more likely (it would be even more likely if these were DC or low-frequency EM fields, rather than microwaves).

I always figured that if a cell phone cancer link were proven, it would turn out that some nasty trace chemical left over from the manufacturing process is to blame, rather than the radiation.
                      Last edited by ASH; June 03, 2010, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mememonkey View Post

mm
                        Thanks for posting that. It helps to have a beekeeper confirm the weakness of the experiment.

Comment

This seems to be the strongest study linking cell-phone use and tumor
                          http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ls_cancer.html
                          Researchers concluded that those who had held a mobile handset against one side of their head for several hours a day were 50 percent more likely to have a tumor in the salivary gland.
                          [...]
                          This latest study is different because it has focused on long-term users.

And, here is the link to the source (abstract)
                          http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co...urcetype=HWCIT
                          A positive dose-response trend was found for these measurements. Based on the largest number of benign PGT (parotid gland tumor) patients reported to date, our results suggest an association between cellular phone use and PGTs.
                          (emphasis mine)

Comment

Originally posted by Jam View Post
                            This seems to be the strongest study linking cell-phone use and tumor
                            http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ls_cancer.html

And, here is the link to the source (abstract)
                            http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co...urcetype=HWCIT

[/COLOR][/LEFT]
                            (emphasis mine)
                            I remember having read of a study that seemed to show that cell phone emissions affect the permeability of the blood-brain barrier. That was interesting to me because this was potentially a damage mechanism that wouldn't necessarily require broken chemical bonds, and therefore couldn't be ruled-out apriori.

I don't know enough biology to assess whether this is a red herring or a solid lead, but possibly something related to molecular conformation or mobility might fit the bill. All I know is that given the wavelength of cell phone emissions, any potential damage mechanism has to be different than the one we know about for harder radiation like x-rays or nuclear particles.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Shake View Post
                              Great! We now have a solution to the problem: tell the beekepers to stop leaving their cell phones in the hive.

Now researchers from Chandigarh's Punjab University

Let me know when a real university can replicate the findings.
                              That's a rather sophomoric comment, or xenophobic. How is it not a "real" university? Because it is in a country other than the United States? I hope you were just being smug and not actually serious.

I agree that this study is not conclusive, and further research needs to be conducted, but that does not warrant a flippant discreditation of the entire institution.

Comment

Working...
                              X