Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A conspiracy theory I could believe in: American MIAs in Vietnam and Laos

http://amconmag.com/article/2010/jul/01/00010/

1) Both sides had a good reason for the original situation (US refusal to pay reparations demanded by Vietnam) (US need to get out of Vietnam ASAP)

2) Precedent in behavior (French prisoners ransomed by 'Cong after Dien Bien Phu)

3) Extensive government apparatchit involvement to deny due to liability (Several present and future presidents, CIA directors, etc etc from Nixon to Bush to Robert Gates)

4) Documented contradictory organizational behavior vs. public mission ('lost' MIA contact codes)

5) Documented US government knowledge of disparities between Vietnam returned prisoner list and US government list of MIAs - particularly Laos

In this case, I can totally see that a relatively small group of powerful politicians and bureaucrats were incentivized to make sure that such a devastating revelation would never be made - of a realpolitik decision in a traumatic period in American history.

Not proof, but Mr. Schanberg has the right attitude: It isn't that American MIAs left in Vietnam are incontrovertibly real, it is that the American government and military have been acting in a way contrary to their public stances for many decades.

Re: A conspiracy theory I could believe in: American MIAs in Vietnam and Laos

Chomsky's take on events in South East Asia (6.00 Min part 2) and elsewhere

Last edited by Diarmuid; May 27, 2010, 08:16 PM.
    "that each simple substance has relations which express all the others"

Comment

why isn't chomsky leading a stakeholder enterprise or supporting one. He should be writing books and financing something like this, he's got to be in a better position than most. I'm not being too critical of Chomsky, i like him a lot.

Comment

Chomsky doesn't like all conspiracies

C.Wright Mills illuminated the triple ruling elites (government, business, and the soldier caste) sitting atop the U.S. military-industrial complex, but Scott added a fourth and fifth elite actor: secret intelligence services and organized crime. Noam Chomsky published an entire book intended to refute Scott’s analysis (Rethinking Camelot: JFK, Vietnam and U.S. Political Culture, 1993) while mentioning his friend only in an isolated footnote. Apart from Chomsky, writers on American politics ignored Scott’s ground-breaking research into socio-political factors surrounding the murder in Dealey Plaza.

http://www.academicmatters.ca/curren...issues/APR2010
        He mentioned the Berlin Wall, I wonder what his take on this is ? On 911 it's "who cares?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhrZ57XxYJU

Detlev Karsten Rohwedder (October 16, 1932 - April 1, 1991) was a German manager and politician, as member of the Social Democratic Party. He was manager of Treuhandanstalt.

Rohwedder was born in Gotha. While responsible for the privatisation of former communist East Germany he was murdered by a military-grade sharp-shooter while standing at the window of his highly guarded house in Düsseldorf. Though never convicted, several members of the leftist terrorist organisation RAF are assumed to be responsible for the murder.

His successor Birgit Breuel, daughter of a millionaire banker, was more in favour of a speedy sell-off to investors.

Reportedly opposed to an unrestricted sell-out of GDR's public-owned factories he may have occasionally favoured a worker-owned solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detlev_Karsten_Rohwedder

Comment

Working...
        X