Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ETFs

Rick Santelli: Paper Gold Defaults and US Dollar Distortions

It is questionable whether Rick Santelli, maverick commentator on CNBC, gave Larry Kudlow the answer he was fishing for.

Santelli brings up the question of a divergence between the paper commitments to gold ownership, with the claims outstripping the actual bullion available. Rick keys in on the ETFs, but other disclosures seem to indicate that the problem is much more serious and close than even he might know.

The other point he raises of course is the distorted strength in the US dollar because of the outmoded structure in the DX index. It is heavily weighted to the euro, yen and the pound, which is hardly indicative of the state of the world trade or even GDP distribution perhaps.

The problem according to Santelli is that this apparent strength is causing people to ignore developing problems in the basis of dollar denominated assets, and slowing the calls for reform, and the restructuring of the economy that will help it to withstand the cold winds that will start blowing shortly in the States.

Rare to hear the truth spoken on CNBC these days, and refreshing when it comes out.

These hidden shoals are the foundation of the panic to come. And when it does come, it may sweep aside the facade of strength and stability like a hurricane. It will certainly exposed much corruption, and the decay of justice and public stewardship.

Re: ETFs

Hi Don
    Yep, i think a number of "Gold banks" went bust in the early 80's because they sort of had nothing at the end of the day.
    Mike

Comment

Re: ETFs

Originally posted by Mega View Post
      Hi Don
      Yep, i think a number of "Gold banks" went bust in the early 80's because they sort of had nothing at the end of the day.
      Mike
      If you are dealing with a big enough bank, the Bank of Nova Scotia for example, what does it matter if the bank is on the wrong side of the ETF or gold certificate bet? So long as the pockets are deep, everything will work-out fine.

Anyone worried about the solvency of the NYSE or the Royal Canadian Mint? Not me..... Paper gold is real gold unless you are a nut or fruitcake.

I sold my gold ETF and got cash in my brokerage account. I never quarrel with cash.

There will come a time when the U.S. dollar and other sovereign currencies will become pesos, but we aren't quite there yet.... This takes time. It's a process of the loss of the public's confidence with plenty of printing and subtle de-valuations still to come.

Bernanke is the worst person to be heading the Federal Reserve Bank right now, and the gold market is clearly communicating that to the financial world. The entire bunch of central bankers are following the wrong monetary policy, worldwide, and that is the message from the gold market now.
      Last edited by Starving Steve; May 16, 2010, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X