1/27/10 Your Cell Phone May Be Hazardous to Your Health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/27/10 Your Cell Phone May Be Hazardous to Your Health

"A handful of Jim's colleagues had already died from brain cancer; the more reports he encountered of young finance guys developing tumors, the more certain he felt that it wasn't a coincidence. "I knew four or five people just at my firm who got tumors," Jim says."

Tumors from what?

http://www.gq.com/cars-gear/gear-and...printable=true

I am a firm believer that the planet Earth needs about 2 billion or so less human predator inhabitants, and that humans themselves will never voluntarily curb population expansion. Perhaps technology will provide the answer to the population/resource-consumption problems. Earth quakes, as deadly and painful as they are to those affected and to those who have access to TV news, are unlikely to suffice.

The article is moderately long, but worth reading unless you are one of the three people in the US who doesn't use cell phones, but even then there are other problems perhaps to the whole "advance" in wireless connectivity.
    Attached Files
    Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Re: 1/27/10 Your Cell Phone May Be Hazardous to Your Health

Originally posted by Jim Nickerson View Post
    "A handful of Jim's colleagues had already died from brain cancer; the more reports he encountered of young finance guys developing tumors, the more certain he felt that it wasn't a coincidence. "I knew four or five people just at my firm who got tumors," Jim says."

Tumors from what?

I am a firm believer that the planet Earth needs about 2 billion or so less human predator inhabitants, and that humans themselves will never voluntarily curb population expansion. Perhaps technology will provide the answer to the population/resource-consumption problems. Earth quakes, as deadly and painful as they are to those affected and to those who have access to TV news, are unlikely to suffice.

The article is moderately long, but worth reading unless you are one of the three people in the US who doesn't use cell phones, but even then there are other problems perhaps to the whole "advance" in wireless connectivity.

Nice. Thanks, Jim. :mad:

Now it's not just the collapse of the economy, global warming, the end of cheap oil, and the resurgence of the Republican Party I have to worry about. Turns out I can't even call my wife to warn her about the coming disasters without inducing his and hers brain tumors.

Better yet, as you allude to, apparently it's not just the cell phones themselves, but the whole infrastructure used to set them up, as well as the ever-expanding WiFi grid, (including the system I set up in my home over Christmas ), that damage our health.

From the article:

In a study by researchers associated with the venerable Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, which hands out the Nobel Prize for medicine, the massive expansion of digital PCS in Sweden during 1997 was found to have coincided with a marked but subtle decline in the overall health of the population. Might it be, the Karolinska researchers asked, that Swedes fell victim to the march of the first big microwave PCS systems? The number of Swedish workers on sick leave, after declining for years, began to rise abruptly in late 1997, according to the study, doubling during the next five years. Sales of antidepressant drugs doubles during the same period. The number of deaths from Alzheimer's disease rose sharply in 1999 and had nearly doubled by 2001. The authors of the study—Olle Johansson, a neuroscientist, and Örjan Hallberg, a former environmental manager for Ericsson, the Swedish telecommunications company—"found that for all individual counties in Sweden there was a similar precise time" when health worsened. It occured, they said, almost simultaneously with the rollout of the new digital service. Correlation does not mean causation, but epidemiologists I spoke with say the data are strongly suggestive and need to be followed up. (In other studies at the Karolinska Institute, Johansson has posited that adverse reactions to cell-phone radiation may develop only after long periods of exposure, as the immune system fails, much in the way that allergies develop.)
    All of these concerns—the danger of microwaves issuing from the phones we place next to our skulls, the danger of waves emitted by the cell towers that dot our landscapes—also apply to the Wi-Fi networks in our homes and libraries and offices and cafés and parks and neighborhoods. Wi-Fi operates typically at a frequency of 2.4 gigahertz (the same frequency as microwave ovens) but is embedded with a wider range of modulations than cell phones, because we need it to carry more data. "It never ceases to surprise me that people will fight a cell tower going up in their neighborhoods," Blake Levitt, author of Electromagnetic Fields: A Consumer's Guide to the Issues and How to Protect Ourselves, told me. "They they'll install a Wi-Fi system in their homes. That's like inviting a cell tower indoors."
    Time to move to Alaska?

Comment

I'm still of the mind that holding a Cell phone up to one's head for sufficiently many hours over a long enough period of time is dangerous, but that Wi-Fi and Cell tower emissions are much less dangerous because the intensity of radiation they present at the brain is much less.

Radiation strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of that physical quantity (inverse-square law.) So when you are very close to a radiating antenna that needs to transmit much further away (Cell phone to head case) then you are getting proportionately the most radiation in comparison to what the intended receiving antenna gets.

Does anyone have any numbers on this? How much radiation does the brain get from (1) Cell phone up to ear, (2) Cell phone a foot or two away, on speaker say, (3) Bluetooth headset, which needs only transmit a few feet, not a few miles, (4) local Cell tower radiation, (5) a local area Wi-Fi network, ...?

It seems to me that these numbers are what we each need to make responsible choices in our lives.
      Most folks are good; a few aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Andreuccio View Post
        Time to move to Alaska?
        Right next to the HAARP antenna?

Comment

Originally posted by ThePythonicCow View Post
          Right next to the HAARP antenna?
          Thanks a lot to you, too, Cow. Between you and Jim I might as well just kill myself now. Right after I put the cyanide capsules in the kids' yogurt. Maybe I'll just go over to the Verizon Wireless store and hang out for a few hours.

Comment

I'm still of the mind that holding a Cell phone up to one's head for sufficiently many hours over a long enough period of time is dangerous, but that Wi-Fi and Cell tower emissions are much less dangerous because the intensity of radiation they present at the brain is much less.

Radiation strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of that physical quantity (inverse-square law.) So when you are very close to a radiating antenna that needs to transmit much further away (Cell phone to head case) then you are getting proportionately the most radiation in comparison to what the intended receiving antenna gets.

Does anyone have any numbers on this? How much radiation does the brain get from (1) Cell phone up to ear, (2) Cell phone a foot or two away, on speaker say, (3) Bluetooth headset, which needs only transmit a few feet, not a few miles, (4) local Cell tower radiation, (5) a local area Wi-Fi network, ...?

It seems to me that these numbers are what we each need to make responsible choices in our lives.
            It is possible that information exists now or would exist now had research not been stymied as is alleged in the article.

If information that would affect the choice of cell phone use exists now, but is stymied, then using the tobacco industry comparison it might be 35 years or so before any cover up is revealed.

If the quote I used to open this tread is true, that one young guy personally knew a "handful" of colleagues had already died from brain tumors, then it is very scary. I'm 68, and though I have led a sheltered life in regard to establishing a large number of social contacts, I have had only one known contact who developed any sort of brain tumor--a woman a year older than I who had childhood radiation for an ocular/orbital cancer.

I wonder if the few people reading this have any personal knowledge of contacts having had brain tumors. If research has been stymied or suppressed, you all have a long road in front of you to discover whatever is the truth.
            Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Between you and Jim I might as well just kill myself now.
              No need to; "we" will take care of that for you :eek:.

Just one little problem however. You know one of the ways that carnival rides deal with budget shortfalls is to shorten the ride. Cradle to grave social benefits are nice, but how do you think the government deals with budget shortfalls ...?

Comment

Tumors from what?

Thanks for this article, Jim. This issue has flashed intermittently across my consciousness over the years, to the point that I only use my mobile when necessary. But I've never pursued the topic in any depth.

My pre-teen son has been complaining of headaches lately. We've made various efforts at remediation, but it hasn't dawned on me to think in terms of electromagnetic fields. Maybe it's worth disconnecting the home wifi and seeing what happens, or at least looking further into this.

Thanks again for posting this.

Comment

Originally posted by Prazak View Post
                  My pre-teen son has been complaining of headaches lately.
                  This can be many things, as I'm sure you know.

Another thing to check out would be excitotoxins: The Little Surprises in our Foods – Excitotoxins that are killing us and our kids daily .

It is difficult to find any prepared or processed food anymore in the grocery store that doesn't have excitotoxins, and even more difficult to find such in restaurants (fast food or fine.)

Comment

Better yet, as you allude to, apparently it's not just the cell phones themselves, but the whole infrastructure used to set them up, as well as the ever-expanding WiFi grid, (including the system I set up in my home over Christmas ), that damage our health.
                    I am skeptical of any change affecting the body that deviates from what existed during our evolutionary development, such as refined foods, excessive magnetic fields, plastics contamination of food, sedentary living, etc. Any time we deviate from our "natural" heritage, we run a risk.

I perhaps went a bit too far when I built a house in California 30 years ago without electrical wiring :eek:. Chalk it up to youthful inexperience. However, I have felt it necessary to hardwire for the internet in the last three houses I owned. Quite a PITA to run the ethernet wires in the walls throughout a house, and it was very tempting to just set up wireless. But I'm willing to suffer some inconvenience to not put my health at risk.

One trouble with modern technology is that when people discover something they can make money with, they don't want to upset the applecart by doing testing that might prove their "baby" dangerous. Hence, all the "surprises", such as thalidomide, bisphenol A, and now maybe cell phones.

One of my concerns I'm researching now is the possibility of toxicity produced by the plastic tubing in my beer-making keg system. At least I'll die happy
                    raja
                    Boycott Big Banks • Vote Out Incumbents

Comment

It is possible that information exists now or would exist now had research not been stymied as is alleged in the article.

If information that would affect the choice of cell phone use exists now, but is stymied, then using the tobacco industry comparison it might be 35 years or so before any cover up is revealed.

If the quote I used to open this tread is true, that one young guy personally knew a "handful" of colleagues had already died from brain tumors, then it is very scary. I'm 68, and though I have led a sheltered life in regard to establishing a large number of social contacts, I have had only one known contact who developed any sort of brain tumor--a woman a year older than I who had childhood radiation for an ocular/orbital cancer.

I wonder if the few people reading this have any personal knowledge of contacts having had brain tumors. If research has been stymied or suppressed, you all have a long road in front of you to discover whatever is the truth.
                      http://www.microwavenews.com/ - lots of great info

http://betweenrockandhardplace.wordpress.com/

like with any "vice", tobacco, alcohol, drugs, gmo foods, the effects take time to show up. Most studies used by telecoms are 90 days long. Make your own opinion on that.

Comment

This can be many things, as I'm sure you know.

Another thing to check out would be excitotoxins: The Little Surprises in our Foods – Excitotoxins that are killing us and our kids daily .

It is difficult to find any prepared or processed food anymore in the grocery store that doesn't have excitotoxins, and even more difficult to find such in restaurants (fast food or fine.)
                        Not to mention all the food coloring in our food, the fragrances in our lotions, the aluminum in our deodorants.

Comment

Been a licensed ham radio operator since the age of 13 (I'm 35 now).
                          Although I'm no longer active in the hobby, I still keep in touch with a few of the people that I used to run around with in the ham radio community. I have seen enough of their mothers and fathers (unfortunately a few of them too) die of different types of cancer to convince me that long term exposure to any type of RF energy is hazardous, regardless of the frequency or the density of the field. I won't have wifi in my home and do my best to use my cell phone on speaker.

http://www.sammilham.com/Amateur%20r...0mortality.pdf

Comment

The number of Swedish workers on sick leave, after declining for years, began to rise abruptly in late 1997, according to the study, doubling during the next five years. Sales of antidepressant drugs doubles during the same period. The number of deaths from Alzheimer's disease rose sharply in 1999 and had nearly doubled by 2001. The authors of the study—Olle Johansson, a neuroscientist, and Örjan Hallberg, a former environmental manager for Ericsson, the Swedish telecommunications company—"found that for all individual counties in Sweden there was a similar precise time" when health worsened. It occured, they said, almost simultaneously with the rollout of the new digital service.
                            it also occurred almost simultaneously with the baby boom population bulge starting to turn 50.

Comment

Working...
                            X