Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bank Fraud Alert: Have you looked at your account statements closely?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank Fraud Alert: Have you looked at your account statements closely?

Bank Theft Alert: Have you looked at your account statements closely?

We have been alerted to a new and widespread trend of theft from bank accounts. No, not by bank robbers but by bank employees.

How it works and why you are not hearing about it

The typical target is an account with a large balance. An accomplice of a bank teller, armed with your name and bank account number, forges a withdraw slip often in an amount that is likely too small for you to notice if the account has a large balance, such as $2,500 against a balance over 100,000. The accomplice then goes to the crooked teller and produces a forged credit card or other form of identification. If the first unauthorized withdrawal is not noticed, the two thieves will make additional withdrawals. One person we spoke to had $7,500 stolen over a period of two months.

Once alerted to the unauthorized withdrawals, the bank will investigate and quickly reimburse the accounts for the full amount of the loss.

What happens to the thieves? According to our sources, the employee is fired and nothing more. But haven’t the employee and accomplice committed a crime? Yes, but once you get your money back, you have no case with the bank, so you have no grounds to pursue. The banks do not want the negative publicity that comes with criminal prosecution of employees. Instead they are sent packing and nothing more. As a result, usually no one hears about these thefts, but according to our sources hundreds or even thousands of instances are occurring all over the country every day. No one knows for certain because the banks are not required to report the thefts, and the FBI cannot investigate crimes they are not aware of. As long as the money is returned, the attitude is no harm no foul.

The FBI needs your help

We recommend you go to your local ATM and print out the past month’s account activity, and check you last several months’ statements as well.

If you discover unauthorized debits from an account, report it to the FBI at the same time as to the bank. This allows the FBI to investigate before the bank has a chance to fix your accounts. That said, we were also told that the FBI is operating under instructions to not pursue cases of theft of less than $100,000. They simply don’t have enough staff to manage the volume of these smaller crimes. But if the thefts are reported then at least the FBI has a record of the crimes, and perhaps once better data are collected a reporter for a publication with more reach than iTulip.com can alert the public to the risk.

Forewarned is forearmed. Good luck.

iTulip Select: The Investment Thesis for the Next Cycle™

To receive the iTulip Newsletter/Alerts, Join our FREE Email Mailing List

To join iTulip forum community FREE, click here for how to register.

Copyright © iTulip, Inc. 1998 - 2010 All Rights Reserved

All information provided "as is" for informational purposes only, not intended for trading purposes or advice. Nothing appearing on this website should be considered a recommendation to buy or to sell any security or related financial instrument. iTulip, Inc. is not liable for any informational errors, incompleteness, or delays, or for any actions taken in reliance on information contained herein. Full Disclaimer
    Last edited by FRED; January 16, 2010, 02:40 PM.
    Ed.

Re: Bank Fraud Alert: Have you looked at your account statements closely?

> $100k account balance... hmmm.. not too worried for myself :rolleyes:

Comment

Report it to the FBI. Yeah, that will happen! AH AH AH

That is exactly what wealthy Americans want: The FBI all up in their business for money that was already returned.

If you happen to get an IRS audit the next year... well, that is just a coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by FRED View Post
        [INDENT]
        That said, we were also told that the FBI is operating under instructions to not pursue cases of theft of less than $100,000. They simply don’t have enough staff to manage the volume of these smaller crimes.
        This will just set a precedent for criminals to take small amounts.

Comment

I just noticed this article. Most of my money is in a Credit Union. I suppose I should be just as concerned? My balances are over 100k and am far too casual in following the overall balance (despite the constant "nagging" of my wife to do so).... thanks for the wake up call. You may have achieved what my wife could not :-)

Comment

Working...
          X