• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Fascism? : Obama Advisor Promotes 'Cognitive Infiltration'

Title says it all, I'm afraid.

http://tinyurl.com/y9qfz4d

(but just in case, here is an extract)

[W]e suggest a distinctive tactic for breaking up the hard core of extremists who supply conspiracy theories: cognitive infiltration of extremist groups, whereby government agents or their allies (acting either virtually or in real space, and either openly or anonymously) will undermine the crippled epistemology of believers by planting doubts about the theories and stylized facts that circulate within such groups, thereby introducing beneficial cognitive diversity. (Page 219.)

Here is the paper, if you care to read it and vomit.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=1084585
    Attached Files

Re: Got Fascism? : Obama Advisor Promotes 'Cognitive Infiltration'

So who's the double agent here?

Comment

Originally posted by oddlots View Post
      So who's the double agent here?
      epistemology [(i-pis-tuh-mol-uh-jee)]

The branch of philosophy concerned with the nature and origin of knowledge. Epistemology asks the question “How do we know what we know?”

This seems like an effort to take away the remaining grounding that people have. If you can't be sure of anything, then you can't act you are paralyzed.

Hence, the "educated guess" comes into it's own.

I encourage you all to make your best "educated guesses" and act accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by jtabeb View Post
        Title says it all, I'm afraid.

http://tinyurl.com/y9qfz4d

(but just in case, here is an extract)

[W]e suggest a distinctive tactic for breaking up the hard core of extremists who supply conspiracy theories: cognitive infiltration of extremist groups, whereby government agents or their allies (acting either virtually or in real space, and either openly or anonymously) will undermine the crippled epistemology of believers by planting doubts about the theories and stylized facts that circulate within such groups, thereby introducing beneficial cognitive diversity. (Page 219.)

I read a little of the article and it seems to be a better approach than we or our international opposition have used for from 2001 to 2008. Both goroups approach to extremists has been no dialogue and merely blowing people to hell and back with smart bombs dropped by people I suspect you train in some cases and often with a lot of collateral damage. Unfortuantely jteb this is just another paranoid article from you that most people already know about generally - The govt/military/CIA/FBi and extremists groups been doing this stuff since the civil war.

Cindy

Comment

epistemology [(i-pis-tuh-mol-uh-jee)]

The branch of philosophy concerned with the nature and origin of knowledge. Epistemology asks the question “How do we know what we know?”

This seems like an effort to take away the remaining grounding that people have. If you can't be sure of anything, then you can't act you are paralyzed.

Hence, the "educated guess" comes into it's own.

I encourage you all to make your best "educated guesses" and act accordingly.
          Christian, social conservative. Shit ton load of gold!

No cognitive dissonance here!

Comment

i vote for Cindy.

i for one don't find jtabeb's posts paranoid. "they" really are out to get "us." i just don't think "they" know it.

Comment

Actually, JT, this sounds like a pretty good idea to me. The combination of an extreme outlook with certainty is more likely to lead to violent action. Introduction of doubt and some diversity of thought might prevent action that would otherwise have to be met with physical means.

Comment

Originally posted by cindykimlisa View Post
                I read a little of the article and it seems to be a better approach than we or our international opposition have used for from 2001 to 2008. Both goroups approach to extremists has been no dialogue and merely blowing people to hell and back with smart bombs dropped by people I suspect you train in some cases and often with a lot of collateral damage. Unfortuantely jteb this is just another paranoid article from you that most people already know about generally - The govt/military/CIA/FBi and extremists groups been doing this stuff since the civil war.

Cindy

I JUST KNEW you were going to reply to this.

Thanks! (Your ability to employ syntactic destruction is only rivaled by that possessed by Fmr. Fed Chair Alan Greenspan)

Specifically, I like how you state that everyone already "knows this stuff" while simultaneously supplying the innuendo that acknowledging such tactics exist and are used is the domain of the paranoid. So could you please explain which it is? (Accepted fact & paranoid delusion seem to be mutually exclusive, don't you think?)

BTW, Cindy, how is it paranoid when the purported "recommendations" come from none other than the sitting cabinet member of the Obama administration who authored the attached paper?

I am confused Cindy. Are you claiming that the author is not a member of the Obama Administration? Are you claiming that the attached University of Chicago was not authored by the individual referred to above? Are you claiming that the paper is not genuine? Could you please be SPECIFIC in your criticism so that the readership here at Itulip could have a chance to vet your concerns?

Your repeated Ad Hominem counter arguments don't add to the constructive discourse, and I am sure that that is NOT YOUR INTENT.

Could you please explain your logic? (Because the lack there-of in your response speaks volumes).
                Last edited by jtabeb; January 15, 2010, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ASH View Post
                  Actually, JT, this sounds like a pretty good idea to me. The combination of an extreme outlook with certainty is more likely to lead to violent action. Introduction of doubt and some diversity of thought might prevent action that would otherwise have to be met with physical means.
                  Esp. when the populace is questioning the policy actions of the administration (policy actions that don't seem to benefit the populace) right?

Comment

Esp. when the populace is questioning the policy actions of the administration (policy actions that don't seem to benefit the populace) right?
                    Well, are you talking about 'death panel' rumors in relation to Obama's healthcare initiative, or complaints about his economic advisors? To be honest, I thought this was more about violent extremism than iTulip-style questioning of government economic policy.

Comment

Originally posted by ASH View Post
                      Well, are you talking about 'death panel' rumors in relation to Obama's healthcare initiative, or complaints about his economic advisors? To be honest, I thought this was more about violent extremism than iTulip-style questioning of government economic policy.
                      I'm not sure which, But I would ask Cindy. She might know.

Comment

Thanks! (Your ability to employ syntactic destruction is only rivaled by that possessed by Fmr. Fed Chair Alan Greenspan)

BTW, Cindy, how is it paranoid when the purported "recommendations" come from none other than the sitting cabinet member of the Obama administration who authored the attached paper?

I am confused Cindy. Are you claiming that the author is not a member of the Obama Administration? Are you claiming that the attached University of Chicago was not authored by the individual referred to above? Are you claiming that the paper is not genuine? Could you please be SPECIFIC in your criticism so that the readership here at Itulip could have a chance to vet your concerns?

Your repeated Ad Hominem counter arguments don't add to the constructive discourse, and I am sure that that is NOT YOUR INTENT.

Could you please explain your logic? (Because the lack there-of in your response speaks volumes).
                        I will help you from my perpestive JTeb.

First, read what some of the other posters have said in response to your post.

Second, most of your posts that I have read reflect your current philosphy.

Third, my philosophy is different than yours. Some people are realists, some people are idealists and some people are pragmatists etc., etc.

When I encounter someone posting as you do I try to understand their philosophy and somethimes theology and try to discern if there is an ongoing pattern of thought. What I feel and observe is something like an all-in/all out type of strategy:

And you seem to think your ideas are best for others and yourself. Well that is your Philosophy and "that may work for you but it doesnt work for me" ie that is pragmatic philosophy. You have some great ideals but based on my philosopy and theology, training and experiences in life I discern that they are not right for everyone and especially not right for me.

Does my response seem angry?

I hope not.

And yet when I disagree with you I often receive a sarcastic remark in an angry appearing message - That is why you need some counseling. My guess is if you had some you would be staying in the militarty and rising quickly up the ranks cause you're a smart guy!

Cindy

Comment

Originally posted by cindykimlisa View Post

And yet when I disagree with you I often receive a sarcastic remark in an angry appearing message - That is why you need some counseling. My guess is if you had some you would be staying in the militarty and rising quickly up the ranks cause you're a smart guy!

Cindy
                          Very nice.

Did you read my post at all?

Comment

Specifically, I like how you state that everyone already "knows this stuff" while simultaneously supplying the innuendo that acknowledging such tactics exist and are used is the domain of the paranoid. So could you please explain which it is? (Accepted fact & paranoid delusion seem to be mutually exclusive, don't you think?)

Jteb

Context matters.

Read the whole article and see why and when it was written. It talks about the role of the court is this matter as well as the exectutive branch and it talks a lot about doing this in foreign countries. Also this is on a blog and all of the blogging responses seem to say something similar to my response - nothing new here.

Her is a question you really need some outside help with: Why would anyone as intelligent as you cash out their 401 k etc and pay the taxes and buy gold and why would they end a career as major in the military doing the good work you are doing for us and our country.

I suspect when you find out the real answer to that question you will discern the root of my perception of your anger and paranoid comments.

Cindy

Comment

Very nice.

Did you read my post at all?
                              Jteb

Yes I read every word of it more than once.

Cindy

Comment

Working...
                              X