How to fix Congress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix Congress

A friend sent this to me today and I haven't seen this before. Perhaps this is old news but maybe if enough citizens take this up....who knows....

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!

I am sending this to virtually all my close friends and relatives and that includes conservatives, liberals, and everybody in between. Even though we disagree on a number of issues, I count all of you as friends. The proposal is to promote a "Congressional Reform Act of 2009." It would contain eight provisions, all of which would probably be strongly endorsed by those who drafted the Constitution and the Bill of Rights (but not the incumbents).

I know many of you will say, "this is impossible." Let me remind you, Congress has the lowest approval of any entity in Government, now is the time when Americans will join together to reform Congress - the entity that represents us.
    We need to get a Senator to introduce this bill in the US Senate and a Representative to introduce a similar bill in the US House. These people will become American heroes.. Please add any ideas on how to get this done.

Thanks,

A Fellow American

Congressional Reform Act of 2009

1. Term Limits: 12 years only, one of the possible options below.

A. Two Six-year Senate terms
    B. Six Two-year House terms
    C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

2. No Tenure / No Pension:
    A congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security:
    All funds in the Congressional retirement fund moves to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, Congress participates with the American people.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, server your term(s), then go home and back to work.

4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan just as all Americans..

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career.. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

7. Congress must equally abide in all laws they impose on the American people..

8. All contracts with past and present congressmen are void effective 1/1/10.

The American people did not make this contract with congressmen, congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

Re: How to fix Congress

Then there's dynamite ;)

Comment

I think those are realistic goals, but there is not a chance in a million/billion/trillion (the latter is the most popular number thrown around these days since using the notation of trillions so far only includes one or two preceding digits which generally are comprehended by the average person as a "low" number, i.e. 12 trillion is less than 890 billion) that voters are going to succeed if they expect the lawmakers to "cut their own throats." It is NOT going to happen.

Re-elect none of the useless bastards. RENOTUB
      Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Comment

I've thought for some time now that it was unfortunate that the anthrax attack almost coincident with 9/11 was not successful and more broadly based, and what I have come to consider as very insightful on the part of the Islamic extremists' attack on the financial centers and Pentagon was to a degree miscalculated by them. Had they attacked and succeeded by attacking a congress that was in session, whether or not it would have brought about some serious remedy to the legislative capture I don't know, but it would have brought about the equivalent of "burning in Hell" as is believed in Christendom to be the final outcome for "sinners." To my reckoning that would not have been inappropriate. Killing three thousand people in New York, vs. something less in the Congressional building would have been a tremendously better outcome.

Problem then would be new legislators would I suppose end up being appointed by various governors or state legislatures for some interim before the next scheduled elections. So as I figure in almost a blink of the eye, we would be back almost if not entirely to "square one."

As berserk as I can be in my thinking with killing all the bastards/buffoons, the only realistic possibility of reform will be through some years of voting if enough voters can be educated that all is not well with how the current national politicians operate, and I am not sure that 50+% of the populace could be informed enough to bring off such a change by voting.

You people with longer life expectancies are in deep shit.
          Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by reallife View Post
            The proposal is to promote a "Congressional Reform Act of 2009." It would contain eight provisions, all of which would probably be strongly endorsed by those who drafted the Constitution and the Bill of Rights (but not the incumbents).
            This is GREAT !!!!!

The way to get this to work is to spread it around . . . AND make it simple for The People to get behind it. In other words, there needs to be an easy, practical way for the average person to do their part in making the Congressional Reform Act a reality. For starters, I suggest the the following:
            1. Vote out ALL Incumbents

2. Only Vote in Candidates who promise to vote for the Congressional Reform Act after being elected, under threat of being voted out next term if they break their word.
            There needs to be a way for all citizens to endorse the Congressional Reform Act. The sign-up database needs to be publicly accessible and signable on the Internet, with the number signed up visible with a constantly updating tally (like the National Debt billboard). Who here would not take one minute to go to such a website and sign the petition?

Right now, ideas are being spread around, with no easy way for the People to put these ideas into action, or to see the results in a self-reinforcing way.

As the number of sign-ups grow, public awareness will grow, and future candidates will realize that they will have to follow the People's Will, not that of the Financial Elite and their own self-serving interests. Candidates will pop up everywhere who will promise to endorse the Congressional Reform Act, giving the People a real choice at election time.

What needs to happen is for some really rich person who cares about people and the future of America to get behind this and bankroll the website. That's more likely to happen as the movement shows some growth at the grassroots level . . . so

SPREAD THE WORD !!!!

Also, I think it should be simply entitled The Congressional Reform Act, because there's no way it will be enacted in 2009.
            Last edited by raja; December 25, 2009, 03:53 PM.
            raja
            Boycott Big Banks • Vote Out Incumbents

Comment

Working...
            X