GEAB's latest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEAB's latest

GEAB N°40 is available! Spring 2010 – A new tipping point of the global systemic crisis: When the slip knot around public deficits is going to strangle Western states and their social security systems

- Public announcement GEAB N°40 (December 16, 2009) -

These guys take their usual dystopian, if not gleeful, view of US travails. For what it's worth....

LEAP/E2020 believes that the global systemic crisis will experience a new tipping point from Spring 2010. Indeed, at that time, the public finances of the major Western countries are going to become unmanageable, as it will simultaneously become clear that new support measures for the economy are needed because of the failure of the various stimuli in 2009 (1), and that the size of budget deficits preclude any significant new expenditures.

If this public deficit « slip knot » which governments gladly placed around their necks in 2009, refusing to make the financial system pay for mistakes (2) is going to weigh heavily on all public expenditure, it is going to particularly affect the social security systems of the rich countries in always impoverishing the middle classes and the retired, and setting the poorest adrift (3).

At the same time, the general context of the bankruptcy of an increasing number of states and other authorities (regions, provinces, federal states) will entail a double paradoxical event of increasing interest rates and the flight out of currencies towards gold. In the absence of an organised alternative to a weakening US Dollar and in order to find an alternative to the loss in value of treasury bonds (in particular US ones) all central banks will have, in part, to « reconvert to gold », the old enemy of the US Federal Reserve, without being able to state the fact officially. The bet on recovery having been, at this point, totally lost by governments and central banks (4), this Spring 2010 tipping point is thus going to represent the beginning of the huge transfer of 20,000 billion USD of « ghost assets » (5) in the direction of the social security systems of the countries which have accumulated them.

In GEAB N°40, the LEAP/E2020 team develops its anticipations on these various subjects, whilst also giving a detailed appraisal of its 2009 anticipations which achieved an overall success rate of 72% (6). Finally our researchers unveil their recommendations regarding this month in particular: commercial real estate, currencies and expatriates’ revenues.

The ten most vulnerable countries on a debt/GDP ratio (in blue; public debt; in orange: private debt) – Source: Crédit Suisse, 03/2009

Reality quickly fuelled GEAB N°39’s anticipation which indicated that 2010 would be a year noted for three trends, one of which would be state bankruptcy (7): from Dubai to Greece, via more and more worrying reports from the rating agencies on US and British debt, or the draconian Irish budget and the Eurozone suggestions for grappling with public deficits, states’ increasing incapacity to manage their debts is making press headlines. However at the centre of this press ferment, all the information isn’t of the same value: certain are no more than laborious works on the « finger » of the Chinese proverb (8), whilst others really stretch to the moon.

Re: GEAB's latest

They are a bunch of risk-addicted forecasters, as they say at the end of the 14th page of their latest report (french version) :
    "chaque GEAB est un exercice périlleux. C'est ce qui fait, à notre avis, tout son intérêt."

And of course they don't mention their 1.6 dollar call for mid 2009... And most their failed calls are based on facts while their good calls are based on perception.

I'm not saying that they are useless : they are very good are aggregating data but their interpretations are very militant and ideological. And most of all, they are constantly on the lookout for a big blowout because they need to sell their investment letter, their formation, advice etc and that makes them overlook the most important human characteristic : inertia.

They are still a monthly must-read.

Comment

I also subscribe, but I am letting it expire this month. They mentioned in this issue they had a 72% success rate in 2009. I get a lot more value out of sites like this. GEAB makes for entertaining reading, but it gets old after the first few issues.

Comment

That was truly uplifting...a real ray of sunshine to start my morning over here don...:p

[Frankly I prefer your climate conference posts. And where are those water cannon pictures you promised us by the way... ]

Comment

I read GEAB because I have my money in euros and I need to have good economic information about Europe. I concur with other posters that their data gathering seems to be good and that they have a penchant towards catastrophe, but, since unfortunately Eric Janzsen does not cover Europe, I have not found a better letter than GEAB. Perhaps some member knows of a better site that covers and analyzes Europe?

Alvaro

Comment

Originally posted by Alvaro Spain View Post
            I read GEAB because I have my money in euros and I need to have good economic information about Europe. I concur with other posters that their data gathering seems to be good and that they have a penchant towards catastrophe, but, since unfortunately Eric Janzsen does not cover Europe, I have not found a better letter than GEAB. Perhaps some member knows of a better site that covers and analyzes Europe?

Alvaro
            My favourite sources are in french and I guess that's a problem ? :confused:

Comment

Anon21456:

I know french, because when I was a child I lived in Paris. Not a problem for me. Thank you very much for sharing your information.

Alvaro

Comment

Alvaro
                I like http://www.eurointelligence.com, which has a strongly German flavor to it.

Comment

Originally posted by K Carlson View Post
                  I like http://www.eurointelligence.com, which has a strongly German flavor to it.
                  Thanks - I'll add it to my watch list for a while.
                  Most folks are good; a few aren't.

Comment

Anon21456:

I know french, because when I was a child I lived in Paris. Not a problem for me. Thank you very much for sharing your information.

Alvaro
                    Eurointelligence is great and I must admit that it's one of my favorite source of information : simple, to the point, exhaustive, updated each morning.
                    http://www.lalettrea.fr/ is also interesting, updated each week, but it's really centered on french economy/politics.
                    Le Monde and Le Courrier International have great economic articles.
                    L'école de guerre économique is always pertinent but it hasn't been updated for 2 months.

Comment

Working...
                    X