Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay Goldbugs, fess up -- how much you got?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Okay Goldbugs, fess up -- how much you got?!

My current position is 31.0 % of my liquid net worth, almost evenly divided between bullion coin and GTU.

It would be significantly higher but for the large position I hold in oil & gas equities - currently about 26%, down from 32% of my LNW.
    I also own positions in several other common stocks but I've been selling them since we met Grantham's target at SPX 1100.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLandbaron View Post
      The results pareto should resemble a normal distribution.

I think we need some more data.
      Here's a chart of the data. Rather than using the mean for all the results from each bracket, I distributed the results evenly throughout the ranges with linear interpolation. For brackets with only one response I used the mean. For the one ">1000" result I arbitrarily chose 1125.

The 58 iTulipers who have responded as of today own a total of 7528 oz. ($8.8M) of gold. The mean is 130 oz. and the median is 57 oz. The one person holding over 1000 oz. owns more gold than the bottom 65% of iTulipers combined. The top 10% own about half of the gold.

All this gold combined would form a 9-inch cube.

Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by jimmygu3 View Post
        Here's a chart of the data. Rather than using the mean for all the results from each bracket, I distributed the results evenly throughout the ranges with linear interpolation. For brackets with only one response I used the mean. For the one ">1000" result I arbitrarily chose 1125.

The 58 iTulipers who have responded as of today own a total of 7528 oz. ($8.8M) of gold. The mean is 130 oz. and the median is 57 oz. The one person holding over 1000 oz. owns more gold than the bottom 65% of iTulipers combined. The top 10% own about half of the gold.

All this gold combined would form a 9-inch cube.

Jimmy

Sounds a lot like the wealth distribution in America, no?

Comment

I'd be interested in a similar chart, but including electronic but audited (i.e. GTU/CEF -- maybe some of the audited pure-play silver).

I'm only willing to hold so much physical. I can't afford a private security force....

Comment

Originally posted by Chomsky View Post
            Sounds a lot like the wealth distribution in America, no?
            Yes, but the wealth disparity in America is much more severe. I would estimate that the median iTuliper is in about the 85th percentile among the general populous. This chart might more closely represent the wealth distribution among the top 20-30% of Americans.

Jimmy

Comment

Yes, but the wealth disparity in America is much more severe. I would estimate that the median iTuliper is in about the 85th percentile among the general populous. This chart might more closely represent the wealth distribution among the top 20-30% of Americans.

Jimmy

It's like a fractal set, with eerie self-similarity as you dig down and get more granular.

Comment

I'm not including silver, combined would multiply my choice by five.
                sigpic
                Attention: Electronics Engineer Learning Economics.

Comment

Jimmy
                  I'm 30% phys when compared to my liquid assets (gold, cash, MMKT), but 30% becomes 5% if compared to my real net worth.

What we are observing here is simply how much gold (one of of many possible assets) we each hold. What do we really want to measure, average iTuliper gold hoards ... or iTuliper metals sentiment as a % of all owned assets? :confused:

We now have an idea where we stand in the iTulip gold hoard pecking order, FWIW.

Measuring the sentiment of someone who is 5% gold with a huge net worth vs one who is 95% committed to gold with a much smaller net worth is very interesting data in my mind. A gold or metals sentiment indicator of sorts.

"What % of your true net worth is currently invested in gold or PMs" instead of "how much gold do you have".

Comment

Working...
                  X