View Poll Results: PRIVATE POLL: How many ounces do you own?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 to 5 ounces

10 14.49%
  • 6 to 10 ounces

3 4.35%
  • 11 to 15 ounces

7 10.14%
  • 16 to 25 ounces

5 7.25%
  • 26 to 40 ounces

2 2.90%
  • 41 to 60 ounces

10 14.49%
  • 61 to 80 ounces

1 1.45%
  • 81 to 100 ounces

6 8.70%
  • 101 to 125 ounces

4 5.80%
  • 126 to 150 ounces

2 2.90%
  • 151 to 200 ounces

4 5.80%
  • 201 to 250 ounces

5 7.25%
  • 251 to 300 ounces

3 4.35%
  • 301 to 350 ounces

0 0%
  • 351 to 400 ounces

0 0%
  • 401 to 500 ounces

2 2.90%
  • 501 to 750 ounces

1 1.45%
  • 751 to 1000 ounces

2 2.90%
  • More than 1000 ounces

2 2.90%
  • More gold than Fort Knox and God put together!

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay Goldbugs, fess up -- how much you got?!

Hybrid View

doom&gloom is offline iTulip Resident Farmer & Select Premium Member
    The Great NW where the rain falls mainly on my brain

Default Okay Goldbugs, fess up -- how much you got?!

How many ounces do you own?

Default Re: Okay Goldbugs, fess up -- how much you got?!

I assume we are talking physical right? No equivalents. Or is GTU or bullionvault allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I assume we are talking physical right? No equivalents. Or is GTU or bullionvault allowed?
    bullionvault is physical in my book.

That's classified.

#1 raw scrap copper however - (remember that worlds largest ball of yarn in the movie "michael" with john travolta?), please send me a bulk buyer when the sell trigger goes off. thanks.

Chris is offline Contributing iTuliper, iTulip Select Premium Member

65% of my net worth.

jiimbergin is offline Contributing iTuliper, iTulip Select Premium Member

Do you mean physical or are you also including GTU and CEF etc.? Total is 40% of my net worth (excluding real estate).

Nice try IRS ;)
    Every interest bearing loan is mathematically impossible to pay back.

doom&gloom is offline iTulip Resident Farmer & Select Premium Member
    The Great NW where the rain falls mainly on my brain

Quote Originally Posted by ricket View Post
    Nice try IRS ;)
    ROFLMAO! Sorry, I am NOT the IRS. And I want to become the
    best friend of the guy withthe 500-750 range. Can I get in your will?

The results pareto should resemble a normal distribution.

I think we need some more data.

I have, as for today, 30% of my cash invested in gold, bought at an average price of 1.160 US$.

I would like to ask a question here. EJ recommends having 30% of our assets in gold, but I don't know if the optimun percentage would depend on the available cash that you have. That is, if you had 50,000US$, 500,000US$ or 5,000,000US$ cash available for investing, would 30% be the correct amount in each of the three cases? Or would it be problably higher or lower in some of those scenarios? Perhaps someone with good common sense can give me an answer?

Alvaro

Quote Originally Posted by Alvaro Spain View Post
    I have, as for today, 30% of my cash invested in gold, bought at an average price of 1.160 US$.

I would like to ask a question here. EJ recommends having 30% of our assets in gold, but I don't know if the optimun percentage would depend on the available cash that you have. That is, if you had 50,000US$, 500,000US$ or 5,000,000US$ cash available for investing, would 30% be the correct amount in each of the three cases? Or would it be problably higher or lower in some of those scenarios? Perhaps someone with good common sense can give me an answer?

Alvaro
    As a reminder, iTulip does not dispense investment advice. We explain what we are doing and why we are doing it. Some of our readers may choose to follow our lead. Others combine our views with the views of other analysts.
    Ed.

I am aware that EJ is not giving investment advice. My question had a different intention, because I really don't know much about finance/economy, and I dont trust my bankers, so I am by myself in this world of investing. The question was earnestly asked but, in any case, if it could cause someone trouble of any kind, I prefer not to have any answer.

Alvaro

Quote Originally Posted by Alvaro Spain View Post

Alvaro
    You need enough cash around to meet short term liquidity needs without having to sell anything.

For the record, I am about 95% in.

jimmygu3 is offline iTulip Ambassador, iTulip Select Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigLandbaron View Post
    The results pareto should resemble a normal distribution.

I think we need some more data.
    Here's a chart of the data. Rather than using the mean for all the results from each bracket, I distributed the results evenly throughout the ranges with linear interpolation. For brackets with only one response I used the mean. For the one ">1000" result I arbitrarily chose 1125.

The 58 iTulipers who have responded as of today own a total of 7528 oz. ($8.8M) of gold. The mean is 130 oz. and the median is 57 oz. The one person holding over 1000 oz. owns more gold than the bottom 65% of iTulipers combined. The top 10% own about half of the gold.

All this gold combined would form a 9-inch cube.

Jimmy

Chomsky is offline iTulip High Commissioner, Select Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmygu3 View Post
    Here's a chart of the data. Rather than using the mean for all the results from each bracket, I distributed the results evenly throughout the ranges with linear interpolation. For brackets with only one response I used the mean. For the one ">1000" result I arbitrarily chose 1125.

The 58 iTulipers who have responded as of today own a total of 7528 oz. ($8.8M) of gold. The mean is 130 oz. and the median is 57 oz. The one person holding over 1000 oz. owns more gold than the bottom 65% of iTulipers combined. The top 10% own about half of the gold.

All this gold combined would form a 9-inch cube.

Jimmy

Sounds a lot like the wealth distribution in America, no?

I'd be interested in a similar chart, but including electronic but audited (i.e. GTU/CEF -- maybe some of the audited pure-play silver).

I'm only willing to hold so much physical. I can't afford a private security force....

jimmygu3 is offline iTulip Ambassador, iTulip Select Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    Sounds a lot like the wealth distribution in America, no?
    Yes, but the wealth disparity in America is much more severe. I would estimate that the median iTuliper is in about the 85th percentile among the general populous. This chart might more closely represent the wealth distribution among the top 20-30% of Americans.

Jimmy

Chomsky is offline iTulip High Commissioner, Select Member

Yes, but the wealth disparity in America is much more severe. I would estimate that the median iTuliper is in about the 85th percentile among the general populous. This chart might more closely represent the wealth distribution among the top 20-30% of Americans.

Jimmy

It's like a fractal set, with eerie self-similarity as you dig down and get more granular.

I'm not including silver, combined would multiply my choice by five.

Attention: Electronics Engineer Learning Economics.

Jimmy
    I'm 30% phys when compared to my liquid assets (gold, cash, MMKT), but 30% becomes 5% if compared to my real net worth.

What we are observing here is simply how much gold (one of of many possible assets) we each hold. What do we really want to measure, average iTuliper gold hoards ... or iTuliper metals sentiment as a % of all owned assets? :confused:

We now have an idea where we stand in the iTulip gold hoard pecking order, FWIW.

Measuring the sentiment of someone who is 5% gold with a huge net worth vs one who is 95% committed to gold with a much smaller net worth is very interesting data in my mind. A gold or metals sentiment indicator of sorts.

"What % of your true net worth is currently invested in gold or PMs" instead of "how much gold do you have".