• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which is the better investment

over the next 3 -5 years

Gold or Silver

I own a shit ton of each, 80% Gold 20% Silver

I like the silver story but the emotional swings of dancing for joy or puking in the trash basket next to my desk has put me off it a bit.

Re: which is the better investment

A shit ton is how many tonnes?

Silver will ultimately do better than gold IMHO but it will do so when the inflation and tangible asset story really gets going in the public "mind" towards the end of this secular cycle.

During periods of deflation fear (hahahaha) gold will do better and silver will drop like a stone.

There really is very little silver around and it is consumed unlike gold.

Comment

Originally posted by grapejelly View Post
      A shit ton is how many tonnes?

Silver will ultimately do better than gold IMHO but it will do so when the inflation and tangible asset story really gets going in the public "mind" towards the end of this secular cycle.

During periods of deflation fear (hahahaha) gold will do better and silver will drop like a stone.

There really is very little silver around and it is consumed unlike gold.
      grape a shit ton is %60 percent of my net lol. What is your % on G and S?

Comment

I would hold them both for different reasons...I'm personally about 90/10

but that is because I'm not holding the metals as an investment...I'm storing value.

Comment

short answer:
          I have NO idea. I am way overweight Silver (not that I can afford much of either Silver or Gold) because the current price ratio is way out of historical whack.

long: (CB remonetization is Gary North's pro-Gold/anti-Silver argument. I find it mildly persuasive (but obviously not enough to change my allocation) - take it for what it's worth - Gary apparently lost a LOT of money in the Silver market in the 80s & may have a sore spot about it)

IMHO Au or Ag being better in the future has nothing to do with supply & demand fundamentals or public (regular persons) sentiment.

It depends completely on central banks and governments.

Silver was attacked and de-monetized before gold, and now, apparently, Central Banks have no Silver, but do maintain some token Gold holdings.

if the CBs decide to re-acquire the gold they've sold in the last 10 years, Gold's price will rise. Unless the governments get in on the act and legislatively steal the Gold from citizens.

Milton Friedman said Silver's been money more places and more times than gold. The word for money in several languages is the same as the word for Silver (EDIT: fixed after the suggestion below, thanks for the nudge).

But the CBs don't care what the free market & the public choose, and because they have none, It's much less likely that the CBs will re-establish Silver as a monetary metal.

China, India and Mexico may be different in this regard than Western Europe, Canada & the US.

Originally posted by rabot10 View Post
          over the next 3 -5 years

Gold or Silver

I like the silver story but the emotional swings of dancing for joy or puking in the trash basket next to my desk has put me off it a bit.
          Originally posted by rabot10 View Post
          Is that a metric unit?
          Last edited by Spartacus; October 09, 2009, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
            The word for money in several languages is the same as the word for money.
            Did you mean ... The word for money in several languages is the same as the word for silver ... or something else?

Comment

Working...
            X