Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK housing market

Hi - first posting,(so be nice).

Just been having a coffee with my friendly local estate agent, who tells me that instead of auctioning off repossesed properties the banks are now hanging on to them and letting them out themselves - he has recently started on a few instructions (this is a little local firm in devon).

He tells me this has never happened before and we discussed the impact it may have on their balance sheets & wider implications.

Being two Bears of Very Little Brain, this discussion was pretty short, so I wondered if anyone else might like to throw in their tuppence-worth.

Cheers
    Jim

Re: UK housing market

Define "letting them out". Is that like renting?
    Warning: Network Engineer talking economics!

Comment

Originally posted by jimtnash View Post
      Hi - first posting,(so be nice).

Just been having a coffee with my friendly local estate agent, who tells me that instead of auctioning off repossesed properties the banks are now hanging on to them and letting them out themselves - he has recently started on a few instructions (this is a little local firm in devon).

He tells me this has never happened before and we discussed the impact it may have on their balance sheets & wider implications.

Being two Bears of Very Little Brain, this discussion was pretty short, so I wondered if anyone else might like to throw in their tuppence-worth.

Cheers
      Jim
      It will drive down rents . . . bad news for those who are in the landlord business.
      raja
      Boycott Big Banks • Vote Out Incumbents

Comment

yup -exactly that.

Comment

Sounds like the banks in the UK are smarter than the ones here in the states...

Comment

reminds me of what my Dad once told me of what happened to a couple of families who lived down the street from him during the depression.

one day, a bank officer showed up at their doors and said the bank could either foreclose them out and they would have to move out immediately, or they could sign a few papers and start paying rent to the bank (lower monthly payments to the bank).

both families signed, legally lost all rights to the houses, and became renters

Comment

Working...
            X