Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm Shrinking, Shrinking! (the American McMansion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Shrinking, Shrinking! (the American McMansion)

September 10, 2009
    When Home Shrinks

By HARVEY ARATON

from

to

IN the quaint central Connecticut town of East Haddam, Bill and Rose-Marie Evans built a theme park for their three children. Their property included a pool, a hot tub, a swing set, a trampoline, a paved basketball court and more than enough yard to host neighborhood soccer and kickball games.

They had expanded the ranch house they bought in 2001, turning it into a 3,000-square-foot home with room indoors for games like pool, table tennis and Foosball, making it a prime sleepover destination. “The master bedroom was on the first floor,” Mr. Evans said. “There were three bedrooms and a second family room upstairs. The kids had 1,200 square feet to themselves.”

But then in mid-June, the moving van arrived, and the Evanses left behind their own personal vacation land and squeezed uncomfortably into a 1,200-square-foot rental, while they began building a marginally bigger home. The couple had decided that with the economy uncertain, they had to conserve money and live more modestly.

Leaving the home they once believed would be theirs into retirement was a painful decision, one many baby boomer families are facing. It’s an issue that especially resonates in suburbia, where highly taxed, stressed-out parents wrestle with the prospect of moving sooner than they had planned. But children can be uncomfortable with decisions that change their notions of security, and their unhappiness forces parents to consider what they do — or don’t — owe their offspring.

In the Evans household, the oldest child was upset about the change, even though he is a college student at the University of Central Florida. “We always believed that was going to be the place we would come back to with our own kids for Christmas and Thanksgiving,” said Andrew Inman, 19, who, along with his sister, Brittany, 17, is Mrs. Evans’s child from a previous marriage. “We kind of felt lied to.”

Baby boomers are already driving a new market for smaller, less expensive homes, according to Stephen Melman, the director of economic services for the National Association of Home Builders in Washington. In a recent member survey, 59 percent of builders nationwide said they were planning to or were already significantly downscaling from the McMansion era.

“Many boomers seem to be thinking they are going to do it eventually, they may as well do it now while they need the money for tuition or because there’s just less money available,” Mr. Melman said.

Under the pseudonym Mr. Go To Retirement, Mark Patterson has blogged extensively about the benefits of downsizing, but said that many parents, responding to his blog posts, have said they have difficulty relinquishing the family home, even when there obviously is no more practical need for it.

“There are so many boomers struggling with this concept,” he said. “I talk about my own family, how we purchased a second home in Kentucky, half the size, and spent a lot of time there on holidays with our three sons, kind of a ‘Guess what, guys, we’re going to be selling the house you grew up in.’ ”

Mr. Patterson, a patent lawyer, said he hasn’t taken the plunge because his three young adult sons are so attached to the family home, on a golf course near Nashville.

“I saw how they reacted a while back when my father sold a home that they loved visiting in North Carolina, ” Mr. Patterson said. “There was a real sense of loss, a real sadness, and I could see it again when we started talking about downsizing ourselves. It’s going to be disruptive emotionally for them, so I told them that it wouldn’t happen until they were all out of school and comfortable in their own space.”

Children do not always resist a parent’s decision to move on, and can be part of the solution when finances are difficult. When Jayme Howard’s divorce left her unable to maintain her 1,400-square-foot home in south Denver, she tried to sell it. With no offers by July, she asked her 21-year-old son, a college student in Denver, to move back home with his girlfriend.

“They’re helping me out, paying rent, and it’s cheaper than their apartment was,” said Ms. Howard, 52, a postal worker. “I’m hoping we can do this for another two years and then I can sell for a decent price.”

In Ocean Township on the Jersey Shore, Jane Graver, 52, a single mother with two sons, ages 19 and 17, recently sold a 3,000-square-foot split-level home and rented a house in a nearby town that is half the size of the one she sold, with just enough room for her, the boys and her tea business, Ducky Life. Because she also vacated her office space, she anticipates significant monthly savings.

Her older son, Holden Sandlar, just started his sophomore year at the Rochester Institute of Technology and has already told Ms. Graver that he does not intend to move home after college. Her younger son, Miles Sandlar, will graduate next June from the high school he has attended and has been promised by his mother that he will get one full year of college to visit her in the house she is renting.

“After that, he’ll have to figure it out,” Ms. Graver said, describing herself as an “old hippie free-spirit,” who hopes to settle in Vermont eventually. She believes that her sons, after finishing their education, will be resourceful enough to lay their own roots. “Moving when your kids are younger is much simpler,” she said. “But in this case, the boys have been part of the process.” They helped her choose the new house.

“I think by going through this with me and actually helping, they have been able to realize how much easier this is going to be for me,” she said, “and knowing that, it’s made the loss of their home and the more material things in their lives seem not as important.”

The changes involved in moving were more painful for the Evans family. Mr. Evans, 46, who works as a building manager for a local lumberyard, said he has seen too much of his company’s business disappear to be comfortable.

“I’ve seen too many guys sitting around with nothing to do,” he said. “If I were to lose my job, we couldn’t possibly have maintained the old house on one salary. It made me worry and think, do we really need three living rooms?”

His wife agreed, especially after she watched her brother and his wife, who live in Tacoma, Wash., lose their jobs.

Valued at $435,000 two years ago, the Evanses’ house sold for $305,000. The Evanses had to tap into savings for closing expenses, while the timing of the move required a hefty emotional cost.

Mr. Inman, the oldest child, had just returned from his freshman year at college and was stunned to learn he would soon be sharing a dorm-size space with his 12-year-old brother, William Evans. Sitting at the dining room table wedged into a narrow area facing the kitchen on a recent evening with his parents and brother, he said it was the message more than the move that reduced him to tears.

“It was being told that you’re only a part-time resident now so you don’t get your own space,” he said. “No child wants to feel that way. You want to feel that you have a place at home that’s always there for you if you need it.”

Faced with the prospect of an unhappy college student as his summerlong roommate, William volunteered to sleep on the living room couch.

“He’s my brother, I wanted him to be happy,” William said.

Brittany, 17, who was already reeling from a rejection by the Coast Guard, had to come to terms with going to a local community college and living in a home that feels to her like a tenement.

“We’re all in each other’s space and can get on each other’s nerves,” she said. “No matter where you are, you can hear what everyone is doing.”

Worse, her dream of a high school graduation party at the home she loved was dashed, when the purchasing family, relocating from New Jersey, was unable to compromise on the closing date.

“Brittany was angry, very hurt,” said Mrs. Evans, 46, a music teacher in the town’s school district and the author of a recently published novel aimed at 9- to 12-year-olds, “The Unexpected Adventure at East Haddam High.”

“It was toughest on Brittany,” Mrs. Evans said. “I tried family meetings. I asked: ‘How do you feel? Let’s talk about it.’ It was: ‘Why do you care how we feel? You made the decision without us.’ I’d always had a ‘Gilmore Girls’ relationship with my daughter. It’s been difficult to see her so unhappy and distant.”

Nodding, Mr. Inman said, “You couldn’t talk to her without her screaming at you.”

Emphasizing the point, Brittany extended her early evening out with friends to avoid the dining area interview. On the telephone the next day, she didn’t sound quite ready for rapprochement.

“I mean, I understand the financial situation, of course, but it was two weeks before graduation, so many things going on, and your parents decide to move you,” she said. “I had friends whose parents took their homes off the market just to ease their stress during senior year. Moving right before graduation is not what you want.”

They are all trying to move forward. William is back in the bedroom, although his sleepovers with friends are usually elsewhere. His brother has returned to college. Brittany has been enjoying her new community college classes and trying to find a day job that will ease her claustrophobia.

In the slow construction market, the family has been assured completion of their new home by November. The builder had not worked in almost a year and the various contractors had plenty of time on their hands as well.

“They all came way down on their prices because they needed the work,”
    Mrs. Evans said. They are building their new home for $250,000, allowing them to clear $55,000 in the move.

Because the rental is less expensive than their old home, Mr. and Mrs. Evans have been able to save money for the last few months. And when they move to their new home, they are anticipating significant utilities savings.

“It’ll be about 1,350 square feet with a seasonal room that hopefully we’ll be able to winterize at some point,” Mr. Evans said.

Like their children, they were not happy about leaving so much behind, and each had a favorite amenity that they could not part with. For Mr. Evans, it was the pool table, now in the basement of the rental. For Mrs. Evans, it was the piano, now wedged into their living room.

Everything else had to be stored, or surrendered.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/ga...r=1&ref=garden

Re: I'm Shrinking, Shrinking! (the American McMansion)

At first, the article stated that they were building a "marginally bigger home" as for the reasoning of selling their original home(3000 sq.foot) and moving to a temporary rental.

Then it appears that they sold the home in order to build a smaller home(1350 sq. feet) while pocketing 55k in the process.

If the neighborhoods are equivalent in value and desire, and the larger home they sold was in no need of repair nor was dated, I see absolutely no logic in relinquishing 1650 sq.feet for a measly 55k.

You simply shut down half of your house.

This asset disinflation is resulting in some people making horrible decisions right now.
    Last edited by Quincy K; September 10, 2009, 04:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Brittany, 17, who was already reeling from a rejection by the Coast Guard, had to come to terms with going to a local community college and living in a home that feels to her like a tenement.

“We’re all in each other’s space and can get on each other’s nerves,” she said. “No matter where you are, you can hear what everyone is doing.”

Worse, her dream of a high school graduation party at the home she loved was dashed, when the purchasing family, relocating from New Jersey, was unable to compromise on the closing date.

“Brittany was angry, very hurt,” said Mrs. Evans, 46, a music teacher in the town’s school district and the author of a recently published novel aimed at 9- to 12-year-olds, “The Unexpected Adventure at East Haddam High.”

“It was toughest on Brittany,” Mrs. Evans said. “I tried family meetings. I asked: ‘How do you feel? Let’s talk about it.’ It was: ‘Why do you care how we feel? You made the decision without us.’ I’d always had a ‘Gilmore Girls’ relationship with my daughter. It’s been difficult to see her so unhappy and distant.”

Nodding, Mr. Inman said, “You couldn’t talk to her without her screaming at you.”
      I found this part very charming.:rolleyes:

Comment

LOL. It's funny how society now in many respects is driven by children (in more ways than one) and their desires.

Comment

Originally posted by WildspitzE View Post
          LOL. It's funny how society now in many respects is driven by children (in more ways than one) and their desires.
          Children have been a tremendous asset to the sale of unneeded commodities. The path of least resistance for advertisers. The source of unbearable pain for parents. Billions are spent in getting into the head of a three-year old. All enhanced by divorces and parent-stepchild-step parent-child living arrangements.

Wonder if these redundancies will be downsized along with the houses :eek:

Comment

"Cash in the 401k George, we're buying back the old house because Brittany feels lied to and little junior is crying at the dinner table because he wants his own room." Hilarious.

Comment

Yet another valuable example of spending more TIME with my kids than taking the lazy way out and substituting it with MONEY(or in this case diminishing credit).

Even if we were looking at another property bullrun in REAL terms, I just can't see the justification of buying and living in an enormous home.

I'm all for paying a premium for living in a good neighbourhood and location(for us heaven is our small fulltime beachhouse), but owning more interior space requiring utilities/maintenance than necessary seems completely wasteful in every respect.

Beyond the show pony vaneer all I see is a gigantic time and money sucking blackhole.

I grew up in a small working class row home...both parents and 3 kids.

We are always together because we were living in each other's pockets.

Then by high school my Dad catapulted up the ladder and we all moved into a newbuild McMansion a good decade and a half before it became part of the popular lexicon.

It was quite sad really.....we all lived in our own corners of the house.

Now with my own family, and the good fortune to be able to afford a ludicrously large home, we prefer to live in each other's pockets, BUT with a bit of room up our sleeves to still be able to change our minds.

My parents still live in the McMansion 1.0 and it's a shackle around their neck just from the time investment maintenance side.

I'm genetically lazy.......I don't see the point in spending any more time than necessary to care for a bigger than necessary house, nor be compelled to work harder to pay for bigger monthly expenses.

When I hear friends "bragging" about $1000 A/C bills in the summer I seriously wonder about the sanity of those around me.

It reminds me of time spent in light infantry, where you REALLY carry your "house" on your back. Climbing a couple thousand metre feature certainly helped me to develop a new perspective on exactly how heavy each and everty non-essential ounce weighs.

I think the same perspective applies in a residential real estate market going down the gurgler....non-essential mortgage and utility/maintenance costs will be an 800 pound gorilla on the back of lots of McMansion owners.

Comment

Don strikes again.

Btw: The first picture sure looks like a modular colonial. Many people add a second level to ranch homes to give it a colonial floor plan. But the front steps don't look like they belong on a ranch.

Comment

Childhood tales time. ;)

I grew up on a dead end street that abutted the railroad tracks. On the far side was a wooded hill, undeveloped cemetery property. It was kiddie heaven. Everybody from 7 to 9 played together, games that many of you guys have only seen in b&w movies. Kick the Can, Steal the Flag, Hide and Seek. Parents would step out on the porch and holler for the kids to come home. Something like, "Johnnnnyyy....Suuuuzziiieee... Dinner!"

Then we moved to suburbia. Kid play, along with adult interactions, was very different. I had one friend that I shot baskets with. He taught me how to detail out my bike, something unheard of at the old digs.

I was lucky to grow up there.

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
                    Childhood tales time. ;)

I grew up on a dead end street that abutted the railroad tracks. On the far side was a wooded hill, undeveloped cemetery property. It was kiddie heaven. Everybody from 7 to 9 played together, games that many of you guys have only seen in b&w movies. Kick the Can, Steal the Flag, Hide and Seek. Parents would step out on the porch and holler for the kids to come home. Something like, "Johnnnnyyy....Suuuuzziiieee... Dinner!"

Then we moved to suburbia. Kid play, along with adult interactions, was very different. I had one friend that I shot baskets with. He taught me how to detail out my bike, something unheard of at the old digs.

I was lucky to grow up there.
                    Very nice. I played sports with friends all the time growing up. I was never home. My mother never worried. I would be home by dark. So many kids grow up in suburbia and need "play dates." They spend alot of time indoors playing video games. Parents are constantly driving their kids somewhere. When I was young I walked or rode my bike to play.

What a great word play.

Comment

Originally posted by WildspitzE View Post
                      Funny how far down the family food chain the entitlement mentality seems to have reached. Wonder if the pets have been infected too...;)

Comment

I think it is increasingly difficult to 'manage' expectations. This has basically been the managerial mantra of our politicians -and so subsidizing billions in ill-gotten gains from the public need to the elitist pockets.

1. Supposed private industries that gobble at the public trough (before bailouts)-
                        a. Autos -how many new fords/american cars do the DoD/Federal/State/County/Local guys buy -a lot -not just the police either but practically any government agency (Public health, IT etc) is chock full of US cars (basically subsidizing their sales numbers for years).

b. Airlines -Delta (Pan-Am) is still an albatross around the publics neck over 20 years later!! Who knows who else -Boeing/Northrup etc. All in the names of a few thousand jobs.

c. Healthcare- billions upon billions in documented corporate fraud by major HMOs via Medicare. It alone subsidizes Nursing homes, Scooters (your free -'we will bill medicare -U pay nothing !'), Diabetic kids, transport, nursing ad nauseum.

Jobs are replaced via automation, salaries are purposely skewed so that the brightest in order to rise MUST be facile intellects capable of absorbing any mumbo jumbo and dismissing any logical thoughts.

Whats a person to do?! Telephone companies want to charge internet providers for using their wire/ bandwidth- both the end users (us) and the provider (itulip) and probably ever one else remotely involved in the process- 'as their innovation'.

So why aren't all these corporations taxed for airport/rail/highway/communications/satellites/law enforcement/judiciary enforcement and legislative enforcement that allows them to do business so efficiently here!! I am sure FedEx benefits tremendously from the multiple airports/highways/communication infrastructure etc -that US taxpayers paid for- much more than say Mr/Mrs. Joe Smith of Haversham, Ma.

Logical thinking and re-distribution of wealth -to its greatest contributors -the middle class -should be the goal. Corporations pay the least taxes , make the most profits and hire the least amount of people compared to the multitudes of small business that breed more innovation and employ many more people. Don't even get me started abot ow many of their 'tachnoclical innovations' have been usurped from tax funded research -whic they haven't paid back in for either!!

This concentration of wealth will be relentless to the middle class and like India /Brazil it will soon cost a $1,000,000 to get a crummy bacleor's from a crummy school. Its coming - since the value of the dollar is plummetting like its in a vacuum. Once people can str=art stealing your intellectual capital at will - its the beginning fo the end.

Comment

Along the same lines, today I was working in a very upscale neighborhood. I overheard the Mom complaining on the phone what a brat her teenage daughter was becoming. Seems the daughter refused to wear any outfit more than one time. She wanted new clothes for every day. :eek:
                          The parents were the most polite and nice people you could ever want to meet too.

Comment

Working...
                          X