Lockerbie bombing: three conspiracy theories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockerbie bombing: three conspiracy theories

Lockerbie is one of these events that has been openly speculated on in mainstream publications and public conversation outside of the United States. Within the U.S., all theories that differ from that of the prosecutors have been relegated to "tin-foil, conspiracy" status. Most Americans have never heard about any of this, because the mainstream media (i.e. television, radio, newspapers, newsmagazines) entities have buried it. Top-down control or Janszen's "bullhorn" if you will.

Lately there's been open speculation from various parties on both sides of the Atlantic that the release of the convicted bomber as a gesture will help British companies get a you know, wink wink nudge nudge, leg up on the competition in Libya.

The First Post is a U.K. daily published by Dennis Publishing.

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/52666,...am-103-gaddafi

Was it a CIA hit, an Iranian revenge mission, or the work of the Osama bin Laden of the 1980s?

BY SETH JACOBSONFIRST POSTED AUGUST 24, 2009

There have, of course, been countless opinions offered over the years as to why flight 103 was targeted and by whom. The following are not crackpot conspiracy theories - but persuasive arguments put forward by various investigative journalists and security experts in an effort to explain what has been described as the "greatest single act of mass-murder on British soil"...

• THEORY NO 1: REVENGE FOR IRAN AIR FLIGHT 655

One of the immediate suspects for the bombing was the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, under the leadership of Ahmed Jibril. The Damascus-based terror group enjoyed the protection of Syria and was funded by Iran.

In July 1988, five months before the Lockerbie tragedy, the USS Vincennes had shot down an Iran Air Airbus-300 over the Strait of Hormuz, killing 290, and the Iranian government allegedly instructed the PFLP to carry out a revenge attack against a Western target.

The late campaigning journalist Paul Foot, who wrote repeatedly on Lockerbie in Private Eye magazine, believed this was the likeliest scenario. He cited the cracking of a PFLP cell in Germany two months before the attack - the feeder flight for Pan Am 103 had set off from Frankfurt - and the discovery of bombs containing similar components to those used in the Pan Am attack.

Foot came to believe that Libya was framed by the British and Americans after the 1990 invasion of Kuwait by Iraq. Iran and Syria, who backed the the PFLP, needed to be kept onside during the first Gulf War and so Libya, which openly backed Saddam Hussein, was incriminated in the bombing.

• THEORY NO 2: COVER-UP OF A CIA DRUG SMUGGLING RING

This shocking theory was promoted by Lester Coleman, a former member of the US Drug Enforcement Agency, who revealed the supposed existence of a protected drug route that ran between Europe and the US which allowed Syrian drug dealers to traffic heroin in return for providing the CIA with intelligence.

The agency ensured that suitcases containing drugs were not searched by airport authorities, but this backfired on them when the usual contents of the suitcases were replaced with a bomb.

A related theory alleges that the CIA let the attack happen, knowing that two of their agents who died on Flight 103 - Matthew Gannon and Major Charles McKee - had found out about the route and were returning to Washington to expose it.

• THEORY NO 3: ABU NIDAL ACTING FOR COLONEL GADDAFI

Abu Nidal, the Osama bin Laden of his day, was an international terrorist whose organisation was responsible for such atrocities as the 1985 attacks against El Al ticket counters at Rome and Vienna airports, which killed 18 people.

According to this theory, after US air raids against Libya in April 1986 killed more than 100, Colonel Gaddafi asked Nidal to launch terrorist attacks against Britain and America. An attempt to bomb an El Al jet leaving London that April was thwarted, but the following year a Pan Am flight from Bombay to New York was hijacked in Karachi and 16 people killed.

Nidal moved his organisation to Libya in 1987 and they reportedly called through a warning to the US Embassy in Helsinki that a Pan Am flight from Frankfurt to the US would be blown up in the following fortnight.

Re: Lockerbie bombing: three conspiracy theories

OR.......it could be true that Libya did it.

Let's look at the list:

Supporting a house of horrors dictator, Idi Amin, with not just financial and military aid...but direct libyan military support in the form of combat units, 1979.

Attempted to create a Pan-Arab-African uber dictatorship, 70's/80's.

Invaded neighbour Chad no less than 4 times in the 70's/80's.

Initiated border conflict with Egypt in 1977.

London Police Constable Yvonne Fletcher murdered by an assassin firing from the Libyan Embassy, 1984.

Bombed a Berlin disco, 80's

Harboured/funded/trained/armed a rather substantial number of very real terrorist organizations, 70's,80's,90's

Exported terrorism in the form of arms shipments and direct financial support of the IRA....several hundred tons of arms sent, only approx, 1/3 intercepted, 70's, 80's, 90's

Bombed Pan Am Flight 103

Bombed UTA Flight 772

Invested in and developed WMDs, 80's-9/11.

Did I miss any of the biggies?

And Libya was punished with a big fat fine, forced to shake hands with Tony Blair, Gaddafi's son receives an apology from Switzerland for beating the shit out of a woman, and Gaddafi gets a seat on the UN Security Council.

That'll teach him!

I'm guessing the fact Libya probably possesses the largest pool of accessible, under-developed, higher quality, cheaper to lift energy in the world right next to Europe and not burdened by horrendous security costs has absolutely NOTHING to do with this?

I wonder if Tony Blair has been able to wash the blood off the hand he used to shake Gaddafi's?

Realpolitik REALLY sucks sometimes......the value placed of the lives of fellow citizens and national dignity is pretty low.

Comment

Originally posted by lakedaemonian View Post

Let's look at the list:

Supporting a house of horrors dictator, Idi Amin, with not just financial and military aid...but direct libyan military support in the form of combat units, 1979.

London Police Constable Yvonne Fletcher murdered by an assassin firing from the Libyan Embassy, 1984.

Harboured/funded/trained/armed a rather substantial number of very real terrorist organizations, 70's,80's,90's

Exported terrorism in the form of arms shipments and direct financial support of the IRA....several hundred tons of arms sent, only approx, 1/3 intercepted, 70's, 80's, 90's

Bombed Pan Am Flight 103

Bombed UTA Flight 772

And Libya was punished with a big fat fine, forced to shake hands with Tony Blair, Gaddafi's son receives an apology from Switzerland for beating the shit out of a woman, and Gaddafi gets a seat on the UN Security Council.

That'll teach him!

I'm guessing the fact Libya probably possesses the largest pool of accessible, under-developed, higher quality, cheaper to lift energy in the world right next to Europe and not burdened by horrendous security costs has absolutely NOTHING to do with this?

I wonder if Tony Blair has been able to wash the blood off the hand he used to shake Gaddafi's?

Realpolitik REALLY sucks sometimes......the value placed of the lives of fellow citizens and national dignity is pretty low.
      Great post and spot on in my opinion.

Comment

if the CIA was involved , I bet nothing fishy went on ....

Revealed: CIA offered $2m to Lockerbie witness and brotherExclusive by LUCY ADAMS, Chief Reporter October 03 2007

The CIA offered $2m (Ł1m) to the Crown's key witness in the Lockerbie trial and his brother, sources close to the case have told The Herald.

Recently discovered papers show Scottish police officers investigating the 1988 bombing were aware the US intelligence service had discussed financial terms and witness protection schemes with Tony Gauci and his brother, Paul.

The latest remarkable twist comes a day after The Herald revealed a top-secret document vital to the truth about Lockerbie was obtained by the Crown but never disclosed to the defence.

The Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission found that document during its three-year investigation, which concluded earlier this year that Megrahi should have a fresh appeal.

The document, thought to be from the CIA, contains highly classified information about the MST13 timer which allegedly detonated the bomb. The Crown, for national security reasons, is still refusing to hand the material over to the defence.

An offer of remuneration by the US agency could be explained by the political imperative then for the US and Britain to secure a conviction for Lockerbie. At the time, Libya was very much a hostile nation, unlike the more relaxed links between Tripoli and the West which now prevail.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news...730667.0.0.php

Comment

Frankly, I don't think we'll ever know what really happened.

I'm much more fascinated not by the various theories, but by the media blackout surrounding this event that exists only in the U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by babbittd View Post

I'm much more fascinated not by the various theories, but by the media blackout surrounding this event that exists only in the U.S.A.
            There are two books I always wanted to buy and read, still haven't done that.

The Gods of Antenna
            http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Antenna-B.../dp/0595149359

The Mighty Wurlitzer: How the CIA Played America
            http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Wurlitz.../dp/0674026810

Comment

Originally posted by babbittd View Post

Isn't it interest that the media in the U.S. does very little investigative reporting now? The media seldom asks serious questions of public officials. And the media seldom strays away from well-charted and well-accepted spin, or the "official" Washington line from the government itself.

The other interesting thing about the media in the U.S. is that it seldom covers world events. Elections in other countries, politics in other countries, life-styles and culture in other countries, discoveries and technological advances made in other countries, governance in other countries, even weather or geologic events in other countries are seldom reported in the U.S. media.
              Last edited by Starving Steve; August 26, 2009, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakedaemonian View Post

Let's look at the list:

Bombed Pan Am Flight 103

Bombed UTA Flight 772

That'll teach him!

Meh. If the US and British governments back this story, then it's almost certainly a lie. That's my rule of thumb about anything suspicious that happens and the physical evidence is directly under the government's control. 90% of the time they are going to have a reason to lie, so they do, and the other 10% of the time, they are probably just lying anyway, just to be safe.

You can call me cynical, but history backs up my assertion that governments are pathological liars.

Comment

Early on in this most curious case was a supposed embassy intercept implicating the Libyan government in the bombing. That was outed as a Mossad electronic fabrication, and like many things of this nature, sort of just floated away down the MSM memory hole.

The current MSM coverage states that the lone conviction came on a tourist t-shirt wrapped around bomb parts that was traced to the convicted Libyan. Sounds a lot like the hijacker's passport that floated down with the towers collapse, into the waiting hand of an FBI agent.

Didn't the U.S. bomb Libya in retaliation for this, attempting to kill Qaddafi? It took the War on T to get Libya to sign oil trade agreements, I recall.

Comment

I have become cynical of BBC World Television in recent months, especially with BBC's rather obvious sympathy for the causes supported by radical Islamic terrorists. This open sympathy by BBC has become so obvious and so outrageous that protestors in Iran have recently held-up signs condemming BBC for its news coverage and its manifest support for the Iranian regime that oppresses them. And last week, many of these protesters against the Iranian regime were executed en masse after show-trials in Tehran.

The other bias that the BBC has is for the agenda of radical environmentalists. The issue of man-made global warming due to carbon-dioxide in the atmosphere is not even debated on BBC; the science of man-made global warming (AGW) is deemed to be sound and beyond critical re-examination.

What is going-on in the UK, not just with the BBC, but with the release of the Lockarbie bomber, the economic condition of the UK, and everything else? :confused:

Comment

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6814939.ece

The British government decided it was “in the overwhelming interests of the United Kingdom” to make Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi, the Lockerbie bomber, eligible for return to Libya, leaked ministerial letters reveal.

Gordon Brown’s government made the decision after discussions between Libya and BP over a multi-million-pound oil exploration deal had hit difficulties. These were resolved soon afterwards.

The letters were sent two years ago by Jack Straw, the justice secretary, to Kenny MacAskill, his counterpart in Scotland, who has been widely criticised for taking the formal decision to permit Megrahi’s release.

The correspondence makes it plain that the key decision to include Megrahi in a deal with Libya to allow prisoners to return home was, in fact, taken in London for British national interests.

Comment

Working...
                      X