Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Shoots? ... How about Brown Shoots as in BS

Originally posted by blazespinnaker View Post
    Seriously .. i'm not one to suggest violence, but am I the only one that ones to go on a rampage down wall street .. ?
    Don't get me started.

Green Shoots? ... How about Brown Shoots as in BS

Fed continues TALF .... perhaps it is time to introduce the term "Brown Shoot".

http://www.cnbc.com/id/32446222

Comment

Re: Green Shoots? ... How about Brown Shoots as in BS

Meanwhile, bankers are handing out record bonuses.

Seriously .. i'm not one to suggest violence, but am I the only one that ones to go on a rampage down wall street .. ?

Comment

Perhaps a running with the bulls down wall street? Ala Pamplona or "Chisum"?

Comment

Originally posted by blazespinnaker View Post
          Meanwhile, bankers are handing out record bonuses.

My preference is to constantly pester my Congresspersons (Enablers of the Rich) with emails and phone calls and threaten them with losing their jobs (by losing my votes and those of my friends, family, contacts, etc.). Less risky and still satisfying.
          raja
          Boycott Big Banks • Vote Out Incumbents

Comment

Some of them really don't GAS.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblo...nterests-my-d/

"MASSA: I will vote for the single payer bill.

PARTICIPANT: Even if it meant you were being voted out of office?

MASSA: I will vote adamantly against the interests of my district if I actually think what I am doing is going to be helpful.
            (inaudible participants' comments regarding the "interests" of the district statement from Mr. Massa)

Massa: I will vote against their opinion if I actually believe it will help them."

Crazy...

Comment

Originally posted by WildspitzE View Post

MASSA: I will vote adamantly against the interests of my district if I actually think what I am doing is going to be helpful.
              (inaudible participants' comments regarding the "interests" of the district statement from Mr. Massa)

Massa: I will vote against their opinion if I actually believe it will help them."

Crazy...
              Isn't this what the majority of Democrats want?

Comment

Isn't this what politicians do all the time?

Comment

Originally posted by WildspitzE View Post

Crazy...
                  Not really "crazy", "necessary" I think, how would a politician in a "democracy" supposedly repersenting his /her constitutients and genuinely believing in the system, resolve the disonnance when he is being told by his constituients in fact, he is not repersenting them. I think the line of reasoning below fits the bill
                  "I will vote against their opinion if I actually believe it will help them."
                  Result - clean conscious. Any benefits acrued personally were only as a result of doing the "right" thing.
                  The mind is very good at this type of justification, at least from my own personal experience with internal justfications.
                  "that each simple substance has relations which express all the others"

Comment

Originally posted by Diarmuid View Post
                    The mind is very good at this type of justification, at least from my own personal experience with internal justfications.
                    The mind is aided and abetted by Political Science discourse:

Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
                    - Edmund Burke, 3 Nov. 1774
                    Source

Comment

Originally posted by D-Mack View Post
                      Isn't this what the majority of Democrats want?
                      Read the Federal papers. This is one of the specific reasons our founding fathers didn't give us a democracy. They gave us a republic. Remember that.

Comment

Originally posted by Munger View Post
                        Read the Federal papers. This is one of the specific reasons our founding fathers didn't give us a democracy. They gave us a republic. Remember that.
                        I fully agree with this. Mob rule always leads to an oligarchy type situation where the wishes of the many begin to trump the rights of a few. Eventually enough rights get trampled on by various "mobs" that there are only a few left (the oligarchs) who have prevailed...
                        Every interest bearing loan is mathematically impossible to pay back.

Comment

Originally posted by Munger View Post

I don't know much about law, the US has crossed the Rubicon many moons ago, when you know what I mean.

Some people take the US constitution and point to the general welfare clause,
                          I don't know much about the US history or the current healthcare debate.

The Constitution of the United States of America

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitut....preamble.html

Comment

I think we crossed the "Mob rule" bridge over the Rubicon a while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Mack View Post
                              I don't know much about law, the US has crossed the Rubicon many moons ago, when you know what I mean.

Some people take the US constitution and point to the general welfare clause,
                              I don't know much about the US history or the current healthcare debate.
                              I was pointing out that when the founding fathers were considering what system of government to set up, they thought about a democracy. They decided against it. We have a republic, not a democracy, in which we elect representatives who then determine our fate. The founding fathers sort of thought the general population was a bit retarded. Therefore they considered it a bit of a good thing that the representative might vote against popular opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X