Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Investor's Business Daily finds an "uh-oh" moment in the House's health-care-for-all bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investor's Business Daily finds an "uh-oh" moment in the House's health-care-for-all bill

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArti...32548165656854

When we first saw the paragraph Tuesday, just after the 1,018-page document was released, we thought we surely must be misreading it. So we sought help from the House Ways and Means Committee.

It turns out we were right: The provision would indeed outlaw individual private coverage. Under the Orwellian header of "Protecting The Choice To Keep Current Coverage," the "Limitation On New Enrollment" section of the bill clearly states:

"Except as provided in this paragraph, the individual health insurance issuer offering such coverage does not enroll any individual in such coverage if the first effective date of coverage is on or after the first day" of the year the legislation becomes law.

So we can all keep our coverage, just as promised — with, of course, exceptions: Those who currently have private individual coverage won't be able to change it. Nor will those who leave a company to work for themselves be free to buy individual plans from private carriers.

From the beginning, opponents of the public option plan have warned that if the government gets into the business of offering subsidized health insurance coverage, the private insurance market will wither. Drawn by a public option that will be 30% to 40% cheaper than their current premiums because taxpayers will be funding it, employers will gladly scrap their private plans and go with Washington's coverage.

The nonpartisan Lewin Group estimated in April that 120 million or more Americans could lose their group coverage at work and end up in such a program. That would leave private carriers with 50 million or fewer customers. This could cause the market to, as Lewin Vice President John Sheils put it, "fizzle out altogether."

What wasn't known until now is that the bill itself will kill the market for private individual coverage by not letting any new policies be written after the public option becomes law.

Re: Investor's Business Daily finds an "uh-oh" moment in the House's health-care-for-all bill

Great job! Private Health Insurance, as we know it, needs to be killed - curshed.

Now get the bill signed already, before Americans pull another brain fart as the health insurance lobby has been hitting your heads hard for months now.

Private health insurance is a cartel, at best, run by mafia like criminals.

We need to break the health insurance cartel, in order to move back in the direction of free market health care.

It is not possible to get there all at once, so having the government take control from the cartel is a step in the right direction.

Comment

Re: Investor's Business Daily finds an "uh-oh" moment in the House's health-care-for-all bill

Originally posted by MulaMan View Post
      It is not possible to get there all at once, so having the government take control from the cartel is a step in the right direction.
      Right, because we all know that governments readily relinquish their power once they get involved in something.:rolleyes:
      Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho

Comment

Great job! Private Health Insurance, as we know it, needs to be killed - curshed.

Now get the bill signed already, before Americans pull another brain fart as the health insurance lobby has been hitting your heads hard for months now.

We need to break the health insurance cartel, in order to move back in the direction of free market health care.

The word DELUSIONAL comes to mind when reading this argument.
        "...the western financial system has already failed. The failure has just not yet been realized, while the system remains confident that it is still alive." Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by Master Shake View Post
          Right, because we all know that governments readily relinquish their power once they get involved in something.:rolleyes:
          For just for one person alone, six-hundred dollars or more per month for private health insurance coverage plus another $10 to $50 or more for each co-payment for each medical service rendered, plus deductibles, and then uncovered illnesses, that is the story. If you are happy with that scheme, then stay with for-profit private healthcare. Keep your private plan; be my guest. (The above plan is Kaiser Permanente, given as an example.)

Of course there is competition in the U.S. for-profit healthcare system. You can buy health insurance from a "fly-by-night" company, or just buy through Billie on TV. As Billie yells in the ad, "This is 'real' health insurance."

I only wish I could go onto the FOX News Channel and debate those Republican bastards. What a snow-job they give to the people of America, and the hillbillies in the South and the American heartland are just stupid enough to fall for it.

We need Canadian-style socialized medicine in America, and the time for it is now! Yes, there will be higher taxes, but over all, the cost of living with socialized medicine will be much lower in America...... Think about it. Think, think, think!
          Last edited by Starving Steve; July 21, 2009, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Starving Steve View Post
            For just for one person alone, six-hundred dollars or more per month for private health insurance coverage plus another $10 to $50 or more for each co-payment for each medical service rendered, plus deductibles, and then uncovered illnesses, that is the story. If you are happy with that scheme, then stay with for-profit private healthcare. Keep your private plan; be my guest. (The above plan is Kaiser Permanente, given as an example.)

Of course there is competition in the U.S. for-profit healthcare system. You can buy health insurance from a "fly-by-night" company, or just buy through Billie on TV. [Sic,] "This is real health insurance."

I only wish I could go onto the FOX News Channel and debate those Republican bastards. What a snow-job they give to the people, and the hillbillies in the South and the American heartland are stupid enough to fall for it.

We need Canadian-style socialized medicine in America, and the time for it is now! Yes, there will be higher taxes, but over all, the cost of living with socialized medicine will be much lower in America...... Think about it.
            first of all I am one of those hillbillies and you just ruined your argument by lumping us all into some nice little category of rhetoric that you fear. the truth is this shouldn't be a partisan issue, it should be a freedom issue but when is the last time we made ANY move towards smaller gov't with less intervention/regulation?!?! if you keep allowing your feeble mind to be sucked into the partisan trap of blaming each other then they are winning and you will never have the freedom that you apparently have forgotten that you deserve. I personally feel sorry for the soul that is as lost as yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Starving Steve View Post

Of course there is competition in the U.S. for-profit healthcare system. You can buy health insurance from a "fly-by-night" company, or just buy through Billie on TV. As Billie yells in the ad, "This is 'real' health insurance."

I only wish I could go onto the FOX News Channel and debate those Republican bastards. What a snow-job they give to the people of America, and the hillbillies in the South and the American heartland are just stupid enough to fall for it.

We need Canadian-style socialized medicine in America, and the time for it is now! Yes, there will be higher taxes, but over all, the cost of living with socialized medicine will be much lower in America...... Think about it. Think, think, think!
              Steve, is your itulip moniker self-attributed, or is FRED trying to be amusing?

As a quasi-self-respecting hillbilly myself, and one who likes the south and heartland, I would suggest a little less diplomatic "license" may go a long way to engage and dialog with those who from different backgrounds then yourself.

Comment

"Private" insurance is a cartel controlled and sustained by the government. This is just a consolidation of power. Yay... the mafia is going for its final power grab in health care.

Comment

Originally posted by sn1p3r View Post
                  first of all I am one of those hillbillies and you just ruined your argument by lumping us all into some nice little category of rhetoric that you fear. the truth is this shouldn't be a partisan issue, it should be a freedom issue but when is the last time we made ANY move towards smaller gov't with less intervention/regulation?!?! if you keep allowing your feeble mind to be sucked into the partisan trap of blaming each other then they are winning and you will never have the freedom that you apparently have forgotten that you deserve. I personally feel sorry for the soul that is as lost as yours.
                  I have seen what George Bush Jr. and his Republicans have done to America. I saw the deficits and the waste, plus the outright corruption in government--- and on a scale that I never imagined possible..... And here in California, I am now seeing what Reaganomics has done over the long-term; the State is completely bankrupt, and it is issuing warrants (IOUs) to pay its bills.

I remember the tax-payer revolt led by Ronald Reagan, Arthur Laffer, and their bunch: "No new taxes." "We can grow our way out of deficits." "Deficits don't count." "The tax-and-spend liberals." "There you go again." I remember Proposition 13 in California that lowered property taxes to enriched the rich, create a real estate bubble, and deny the State of California needed revenues.

I hold everyone of you Republicans responsible for this mess.

I remember the bubble economy that George Bush Jr. and Alan Greenspan created by driving down interest rates. I remember the dot.com bubble, the real estate bubble, the stock market bubble, the dollar bubble, the energy bubble, the tech bubble, the bond market bubble that may yet burst----all this because of the mistaken thinking of the "deficits don't count" Republicans.

Go continue on with your tea parties, your NRA meetings, your GOP meetings, and go-away!
                  Last edited by Starving Steve; July 21, 2009, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinoveri View Post
                    Steve, is your itulip moniker self-attributed, or is FRED trying to be amusing?

As a quasi-self-respecting hillbilly myself, and one who likes the south and heartland, I would suggest a little less diplomatic "license" may go a long way to engage and dialog with those who from different backgrounds then yourself.
                    Former Governor of Minnesota, Jessie Ventura, had some choice words about the Republicans, aired on the Larry King Show on CNN, just a couple of days ago. He called the Republicans who now run the Republican Party in America, "a bunch of finger-pointing religious hypocrits".

Who are the Republicans to point-the-finger on deficits? And Bloomberg just ran a story yesterday that bail-outs of the nation's economy may total, not $2 trillion, but $24 trillion. George Bush Jr. and the Republicans have left quite a legacy!
                    Last edited by Starving Steve; July 21, 2009, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Why is it always partisan with angry people? I'm not a republican but you are right there are lots of people who are responsible for this mess. I would say that since WE are the gov't then WE are responsible for letting it happen...now WE are responsible for making sure it gets fixed.

Comment

Why is it always partisan with angry people? I'm not a republican but you are right there are lots of people who are responsible for this mess. I would say that since WE are the gov't then WE are responsible for letting it happen...now WE are responsible for making sure it gets fixed.
                        Tonto and Lone Ranger surrounded by Indians who are closing in for the kill. LR to Tonto, "Ole buddy, it looks like we are finished." Tonto replies, "What is the 'we' stuff, white man."

Unless you, sniper, are an oligarch, I don't know how much "fixing" is going to get done. What you wrote sounds good, but I think it is wasted words.
                        Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

I agree with you completely but we can't let the message die because one day this mess will implode on itself and we have to make sure that what emerges from those ruins is the original message of liberty. I'm sure people felt the same way in 1770 but you never know what kind of change is only a few years a way...

Comment

I believe in our system voters elect candidates to look after the business of the country, thinking that something about their individual welfares (and I am not talking "welfare state.") will be looked after, but the candidates are bought and paid for by the time they lay their hands on the Bible, if they actually do that, and their main concern for the voters is only to get into office and be re-elected; otherwise, their allegiance is to those who paid for them
                            Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Sadly, in most cases you are right. But the ultimate responsibility is ours:
                              That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

Comment

Working...
                              X