Government Implode: Latvian Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Government Implode: Latvian Edition

I've been hearing anecdotally about long lines at the Russian embassy in Latvia.

Apparently a lot of the ethnic Russian minority are trading in for Russian passports.

As part of this deal, those with skills are getting jobs in the Eastern provinces (i.e. Siberia).

Comment

Re: Government Implode: Latvian Edition

Possible, Russia has had a repatriation program running for some time, though much of the native Russian speaking minority in Latvia is not ethnic Russian. My wife for example is Lithuanian-Belorussian by ancestry, but was born and grew up in Riga speaking only Russian. She has had some bright ideas about getting into real estate speculation in Minsk (you can't, basically) where she has relatives, but has never considered Russia.

The few people I have run across that came back from say Ireland when the work petered out there have gone off to for example Norway or Belgium where they found new expat jobs.

Aside from a few stores being closed and some apartments & houses being sold at executive auction I have not noticed any big difference in life here in Ventspils, but the mayor / strongman of Ventspils Aivar Lembergs takes very good care of his town. He has mentioned that it is a pity that the city of Riga does not have such a "caretaker".
      Justice is the cornerstone of the world

Comment

Working...
      X