Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Court says suspects can be interrogated without lawyer present

http://www.startribune.com/nation/46...tml?page=1&c=y

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court on Tuesday overturned a long-standing ruling that stopped police from initiating questions unless a defendant's lawyer was present, a move that will make it easier for prosecutors to interrogate suspects.

The high court, in a 5-4 ruling, overturned the 1986 Michigan v. Jackson ruling, which said police may not initiate questioning of a defendant who has a lawyer or has asked for one unless the attorney is present. The Michigan ruling applied even to defendants who agreed to talk to the authorities without their lawyers.

The court's conservatives overturned that opinion, with Justice Antonin Scalia saying "it was poorly reasoned."

Under the Jackson opinion, police could not even ask a defendant who had been appointed a lawyer if he wanted to talk, Scalia said.

"It would be completely unjustified to presume that a defendant's consent to police-initiated interrogation was involuntary or coerced simply because he had previously been appointed a lawyer," Scalia said in the court's opinion.

Scalia, who read the opinion from the bench, said the decision will have "minimal" effects on criminal defendants because of the protections the court has provided in other decisions. "The considerable adverse effect of this rule upon society's ability to solve crimes and bring criminals to justice far outweighs its capacity to prevent a genuinely coerced agreement to speak without counsel present," Scalia said.

Re: Supreme Court says suspects can be interrogated without lawyer present

Comment

now they can initiate questioning, but you still don't have to answer...

Comment

Good for my main J-man, Tony Scalia! Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. Just ask Munger fan.
        Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho

Comment

Originally posted by Master Shake View Post
          Good for my main J-man, Tony Scalia! Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. Just ask Munger fan.
          You are not one for subtlety. It would be correct to say "anyone who thinks the constitution says otherwise is wrong."

Comment

Scalia, who read the opinion from the bench, said the decision will have "minimal" effects on criminal defendants because of the protections the court has provided in other decisions.
            Only if said defendants are intelligent enough not to talk....

Comment

if you haven't seen it, check out First 48 on A&E the number of confessions they get surprised me...good show as well...reminds me constantly to keep my mouth shut.

Comment

Scalia was simply concerned about the feelings of lawyers.

Since he finds torture as a legitimate way of questioning people;

The BBC:
                In the interview with the Law in Action programme on BBC Radio 4, he said it was "extraordinary" to assume that the ban on "cruel and unusual punishment" - the US Constitution's Eighth Amendment - also applied to "so-called" torture.
                He doesn't want lawyers to loose any sleep by having to watch the police beat a confession out of a suspect. After all, we know nobody would confess to a crime unless they "really" did it.

Scalia is to constitutional law as Bernie Madoff is to high return investing.

Comment

Originally posted by sn1p3r View Post
                  if you haven't seen it, check out First 48 on A&E the number of confessions they get surprised me...good show as well...reminds me constantly to keep my mouth shut.

Are you kidding me. I saw a news report once that showed cops getting THREE different men to confess to the same crime.

Comment

love that don't talk to cops video.... send it all of my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by we_are_toast View Post
                      Scalia was simply concerned about the feelings of lawyers.

Since he finds torture as a legitimate way of questioning people;

He doesn't want lawyers to loose any sleep by having to watch the police beat a confession out of a suspect. After all, we know nobody would confess to a crime unless they "really" did it.

Scalia is to constitutional law as Bernie Madoff is to high return investing.
                      Scalia's one of the few Justices who understands his role in a Constitutional government. He is a true defender of the Constitution, as only an Originalist can be.
                      Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho

Comment

Working...
                      X