Chernobyl.......HBO production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chernobyl.......HBO production

I don't watch much TV these days......better more informative things to do.............but I must say how deeply impressed am with HBO's Chernobyl.

Well paced, very good acting, script outstanding...........very high production values .....gripping........moving.

I love the washed out colours like an old faded instant picture ......I recall the horror unfolding everyday back in 1986....

It was the Swansong for the CCCP & let that show the World what comes from a nation under the tumb of asshole commie pigs!

Mike
    Last edited by Mega; June 10, 2019, 03:27 PM.

Re: Chernobyl.......HBO production

It's probably anti-nuclear propaganda.

And how about those accents?

Anyways, you can be sure that I thought of EJ and his pebble bed reactors as I've seen nuclear power seemingly being revived in the United States and elsewhere.

Everywhere you turn now, people are talking about Gen IV plants.

Bill Gates, Trump's Sec. of Energy, even Ocasio-Cortez said she's open to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimprofits View Post
      Good guess. I turned it off after the first 20 minutes of episode 1. Here are a couple of good articles from Michael Shellenberger:

Why HBO's "Chernobyl" Gets Nuclear So Wrong

Since the start of HBO’s mini-series about the 1986 nuclear disaster, “Chernobyl,” journalists have praised the series for getting the facts of the event right, even if its creators took some creative liberties.

“The first thing to understand about the HBO mini-series “Chernobyl,” wrote a reporter for The New York Times, “is that a lot of it is made up. But here’s the second, and more important, thing: It doesn’t really matter.”

The reporter notes a similar inaccuracy I wrote about last month: “radiation victims are often covered in blood for some reason.”

But HBO “gets a basic truth right,” he writes, which is that Chernobyl was “more about lies, deceit and a rotting political system than... whether nuclear power is inherently good or bad.”

This is a point that the creator of “Chernobyl,” Craig Mazin, has stressed. “The lesson of Chernobyl isn’t that modern nuclear power is dangerous,” he tweeted. “The lesson is that lying, arrogance, and suppression of criticism are dangerous.”

Representatives of the nuclear industry agree. “Viewers might see the Hollywood treatment and wonder what the relevance is outside the USSR,” writes the Nuclear Energy Institute. “The short answer is: not much.”

Personally, I’m not so sure. Having now watched all five episodes of “Chernobyl,” and seen the public’s reaction to it, I think it’s obvious that the mini-series terrified millions of people about the technology.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/06/06/why-hbos-chernobyl-gets-nuclear-so-wrong/

Top UCLA Doctor Denounces HBO's "Chernobyl" As Wrong And "Dangerous"

A top US medical doctor who treated radiation victims in Chernobyl has criticized HBO’s depiction of the accident and radiation’s health effects as inaccurate and “dangerous.”

“Another error [in HBO’s “Chernobyl”] was to portray the victims as being dangerously radioactive,” UCLA’s Robert Gale wrote in “The Cancer Letter,” a subscription-based newsletter.

Gale has been a world-renowned expert on bone marrow transplantation, which is used to treat radiation victims, since before the Chernobyl accident. After the accident, Gale reached out to Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev, who asked Gale to come “immediately.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/06/11/top-ucla-doctor-denounces-depiction-of-radiation-in-hbos-chernobyl-as-wrong-and-dangerous/

Comment

Perhaps the man himself

He sort of reminds me Of:-

Comment

Originally posted by Slimprofits View Post

And how about those accents?

Anyways, you can be sure that I thought of EJ and his pebble bed reactors as I've seen nuclear power seemingly being revived in the United States and elsewhere.

Everywhere you turn now, people are talking about Gen IV plants.

Bill Gates, Trump's Sec. of Energy, even Ocasio-Cortez said she's open to it.
          I think most of the left, though not the greens, are open to nuclear power. The three problems as I see them are cost overruns, the tendency to underinvest in and defer maintenance (or run plants past their designed lifespan), and the Black swan problem - we suck at predicting rare events. That all said, the French pulled it off.

Comment

The nuclear power industry pushed its racket too far, insisting that each reactor and plant be unique, to gather billions in engineering fees.
            The U.S.Navy runs standard reactors built to the same design and they've never had a serious problem.

I see no reason we couldn't just buy more navy reactors and use them for civilian power.

If you want to see a spectacular recent example of the nuclear power boondoggle read this article.

https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...96c86b8b9.html

Comment

Scaled up US Navy Reactor, ask the man who designed it.

Comment

Working...
              X