X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re: VirZOOM

Saw this, thought about VirZOOM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpg8ib6diKc

Looks cooler, but must be much more expensive.

Re: VirZOOM

+1

Comment

Originally posted by Chomsky View Post

Yes at $8200

Comment

I just looked at the VirZoom website. Very nice indeed

Comment

Definitely cool. I guess it works your core? Or just looks cool in a modernistic living room. Looks like a "toy" from Eyes Wide Shut.

What I really like about the last 10 years is seeing the inventive spirit unleashed by our "built in a garage" inventors, coming up with ideas for new types of gadgets, devices and active equipment.

Like bikes that don't conform to the classical definition of bikes (take a look at this for example, I bought one of these for myself last summer to get back into the benefits of running after my joints wouldn't allow me to without pain https://www.run4.com/ ), but also things like the 3 wheeled car that is out there, or where computers do intersect with the real world, like 3-D printers....

For a few decades, it seems like "everything was already invented" in the non-computer world. Now we're seeing an explosion of creativity.....and that you can actually go on the internet, particularly on youtube, and find these things and see them is really exciting.

I like that. I think it is good for the health of society to see and share these inventive ideas, it gets to the spirit of what it means to be human in an advanced society....and certainly a more positive outlet than the nonsense of pursuing wealth for its own sake, or the crazy nonsense spit out by the entertainment world (Like crap movies/TV/other short lived crap).

Comment

There is a major dichotomy brewing in the 21st Century. Privileged humans are looking for entertainment and self improvement that offer personal opportunity and disconnection from the rest of humanity while everyone else is trying to understand how they will survive and possibly get ahead. I find VR to be the new entertainment conceit of the privileged. One can make money supporting it, but is it the best use of one's talent? I'm more interested agriculture. Food security. Like every other aspect of our lives, technology is moving food production forward at an amazing rate.

I understand that this is my own conceit but I'd rather work to offer working class folks excellent organic food than VR entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by santafe2 View Post

I understand that this is my own conceit but I'd rather work to offer working class folks excellent organic food than VR entertainment.
              1. when/how will "organic food" every be as cheap as the products of industrial farming? given limited resources it seems to me that improving the nutritional quality, lowering the pesticide burden and reducing the pollution thrown off by industrial food production is likely to benefit many more people. "organic" is at least as much a luxury good as vr.
              2. there are plenty of ways to do good in the world. one way of doing good doesn't diminish the other ways.

Comment

Originally posted by santafe2 View Post
                There is a major dichotomy brewing in the 21st Century. Privileged humans are looking for entertainment and self improvement that offer personal opportunity and disconnection from the rest of humanity while everyone else is trying to understand how they will survive and possibly get ahead. I find VR to be the new entertainment conceit of the privileged. One can make money supporting it, but is it the best use of one's talent? I'm more interested agriculture. Food security. Like every other aspect of our lives, technology is moving food production forward at an amazing rate.

VZ is not targeted at rich folks.

Middle school class bought a VirZOOM. Review by middle school student...

VZ content will be available on Google Daydream later this year. Every Android device that can run Daydream will be able to run our vSport games for Android.

We are working on a program with YMCA to offer VZ to their members nationally.

The most recent **** Amazon review...

5.0 out of 5 starsBest VR experience yet!!
                By Aerith Gainsborough on January 20, 2017
                Verified Purchase
                This is the best invention of all time. It get's you moving, gives you a GREAT workout, and it is fun! I wasn't sure how good of a workout this would give, but after playing the games on it, and forcing myself to do the 15 laps on the bike race, yeah, you will feel the work out. Lol. I nearly killed myself. I want to get back in shape, and this is going to help me do so. My only complaint really is the seat isn't the most comfortable after being on it for a long period of time peddling like mad! I went and got a topper for the seat that fits right over it. I think this will improve that problem. Other then that, I am so glad I decided to go ahead and buy it. The Pegasus flight is so fun, good for when you just need to relax a little after doing the harder workouts. Love, love looove this product! I have been looking for interactive exercise bikes, I found it!

Comment

I understand that this is my own conceit but I'd rather work to offer working class folks excellent organic food than VR entertainment.[/QUOTE]

I will give an example. I buy all organic vegetables and fruits and make nutritious juice and offer to family members. The response is Eww.. taste nasty and pick a coke. I rest my case.

Comment

A host of logical fallacies trip us up when we work honestly to discuss things.
                    Right here we might be looking at a false dichotomy, one of the great classics.
                    I don't think working towards one of these goals diminishes the other.
                    We can probably have both.

Comment

Organic food is a high priced luxury. Virzoom helps you stay healthier and wise selection of food will provide non organic good nutrition.

Comment

Originally posted by vt View Post
                        Organic food is a high priced luxury. Virzoom helps you stay healthier and wise selection of food will provide non organic good nutrition.
                        Exactly. Smart Phones brought the world literally to our finger tips. Its up to people how to use it. Same with Organic food or VR and VZ. Provide options and its up to people to choose. Everyone who is using virzoom for what it is designed for have all praises.

Comment

Originally posted by akkibaba View Post
                          Exactly. Smart Phones brought the world literally to our finger tips. Its up to people how to use it. Same with Organic food or VR and VZ. Provide options and its up to people to choose. Everyone who is using virzoom for what it is designed for have all praises.
                          When I see stuff like this I can't help but imagine it fifteen years from now, covered in dust and dried food stains in every joint, in the corner of a flea market filled with vinyl records, VHS cassettes, traditional exercise equipment and porcelain dolls people used to buy with S&H Green Stamps or UPC codes from Avon products. It'll be in the old Bowflex corner.

...and it's totally unsellable, because it's so difficult to move. At least Virzoom can fit in the back seat of a sedan. But watch out for software updates.

Comment

https://www.roadtovr.com/virzoom-clo...n-vr-bike-kit/

Comment

I think the gym partnership bit is probably the idea in the article with the most forward-looking potential. The vast majority of people simply cannot afford this stuff at home. But many of them probably can afford to use it on occasion as part of a paid subscription. Might be potential in general in VRcades too. A few have popped up. Problem I see is they're popping up in ultra high-wealth areas next to the coffee shops that give rich college kids coffee for free in exchange for their personal data. They're not trickling down to the middle class suburbs yet, never mind the working class suburbs, rural areas, or enclaves. Then again, there's always a market for luxury goods. But I have to admit, I would have guessed the Oculus Rift would have been enough to get VRcades going in middle class tourist spots and populated commercial areas at least. That would seem like a natural market for VirZOOM, some headsets, but also a couple bikes and other things to try. Sort of figured it'd be here by now having taken off in the same way escape rooms did. But so far, at least around here, it doesn't seem to be the case. Don't know the business enough to understand the barriers. But I'm guessing there are a couple that make it hard to pull off beyond high rents, which are obviously higher in the premium spots the existing VRcades do seem to be popping up in. Then again, it also seemed plausible to me that little storefronts with 3d printers might pop all around for would-be hobbyists to go in and play around for some nominal fee. But no go there either. There's just little of the hobbyist dynamism I recall from the early computer show era. But maybe it's just me being older, more out of touch, and cranky.

Comment

Working...
                              X