BIS: OTC Derivatives $684 Trillion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIS: OTC Derivatives $684 Trillion

According to this data from the Bank for International Settlements, total notional value of OTC derivatives was $683.7 trillion with market value of $20.4 trillion as of June '08. About two thirds of this is interest rate swaps, dwarfing the CDS market ($57.3T notional / $3.2T market value). Seems to me that since the Fed & Treasury is jumping through hoops to support the CDSs, they are at the very least aware of what interest rate policy will do to the $458T in interest rate swaps. Could these contracts (and the implications of cascading defaults) be dictating rate policy?

Having very limited knowledge on the subject, I'm wondering who here can comment on this. Also, are there any data on where the OTC derivatives markets stand now compared to June? Thanks.

Jimmy

Re: BIS: OTC Derivatives $684 Trillion

The data is as of June 2008 -- just as the derivatives started unwinding -- the December 2008 numbers would be interesting -- I wonder if there are any data points in between, and where they would be available

Comment

Originally posted by jimmygu3 View Post
      Also, are there any data on where the OTC derivatives markets stand now compared to June? Thanks.

Jimmy
      The charts in my Derivatives thread are current and show the history back as far as the public data goes.
      http://www.NowAndTheFuture.com

Comment

But they are as of June 2008 as well. Is there another source of more recent data?

Comment

Originally posted by Rajiv View Post
          But they are as of June 2008 as well. Is there another source of more recent data?
          If there is, I'm unaware of it.

U.S. data is updated quarterly, and the BIS bi-annual... and both sets of data lag by many months.
          http://www.NowAndTheFuture.com

Comment

Working...
          X