X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France, Italy, Spain, Belgium to Impose Short-Selling Curbs

Of course...its the shorts who caused the crisis of confidence

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...ator-says.html
    “Some authorities have decided to impose or extend existing short-selling bans in their respective countries,” ESMA said in a statement on its website. “They have done so either to restrict the benefits that can be achieved from spreading false rumors or to achieve a regulatory level playing field, given the close inter-linkage between some EU markets.”
    what happened in September 2008 after they went after the short sellers? oops

if this is widespread & lasts very long I suspect the up-n-down stock volatility has just chose its direction.

any idea if this will cause a flight to safety lift for gold, or will it suck so much asset value out of the market that people are forced to sell everything?

I guess I should have posted this to "news" but hosed up on that...not sure if someone can move this?
    Last edited by seobook; 08-11-11, 06:35 PM.

Re: France, Italy, Spain, Belgium to Impose Short-Selling Curbs

Ut oh...

Interesting how iTulip's forum software pulls related threads from 2008 on it's own....perhaps it's gained sentience.

Comment

The short selling ban is more than a little suspicious and looks like desperation.

Wasn't it just a day or two ago that SocGen issued a blanket denial of all "market rumors" without specifically denying anything?

Something is rotten near Denmark.

disclosure: short euro

Comment

Originally posted by slippery View Post
        disclosure: short euro
        What are you shorting it against?

Comment

Originally posted by aaron View Post
          +1 ... I think the US is every bit as sketchy in terms of short term growth.

When the government was handing out the "free cheese for bankers" program they also approved a tiny $30 billion loan program for small businesses to try to make it seem more legitimate. As it turns out, with only 2 months until the program expires over $29 billion of it has *not* been lent out.
          “The reason why we’re a little behind schedule is because we are being careful and because the regulators are being careful,” Geithner said at a House Small Business Committee hearing on June 22. “That’s what you want us to be.”

Would have been nice to have cared about the taxpayer when scratching out the discount on the CDS payouts that were lined out and paid at par to Goldman & such. In such cases, apparently, the taxpayers prefer to be left in the dark & have Turbo Timmy spend with wreckless abandon.

They are never a little behind schedule with bailing out their criminal banking buddies...that won't happen until things implode. They are, after all, more important than the real economy
          Last edited by seobook; 08-12-11, 01:45 AM.

Comment

He could be short the EUR futures, no?

Comment

Short the euro vs US dollar via futures. Not that I think the US dollar is better in the long run, but I think the euro is relatively overvalued short term. The banning of shorts for bank shares is the tell.

Comment

Working...
              X