Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ETF vs gold and silver

Originally posted by jk View Post
    historically, the questions around gld have been focused on the lack of audit and the ability to count as holdings metals [asserted to be] held by sub-trustees. the canadian trusts, otoh, are not technically etfs but closed end mutual funds. they are audited regularly.
    I used to let such audits sway my decision, and it may still be correct to do so. But I changed my mind when I asked myself if I trusted the auditors not to come up with, and sell to the trusts, packages that still allowed games to be played.

I know that such cynicism is dangerous, and can mislead or cause one to give up good opportunities. But in my case I didn't have much reason to be in CEF instead of other gold forms, so I made the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by astonas View Post
      I
      used to let such audits sway my decision, and it may still be correct to do so. But I changed my mind when I asked myself if I trusted the auditors not to come up with, and sell to the trusts, packages that still allowed games to be played.
      What an interesting formulation. Unaudited, ie., blindly held, seen as safer, for fear that the auditors cheat, or bend the rules.

that
      suchI know cynicism is dangerous, and can mislead or cause one to give up good opportunities

Cynicism results when scepticism is foiled. We should always be sceptics in all serious endeavours. We are ......ITULIP!!!

But in my case I didn't have much reason to be in CEF instead of other gold forms, so I made the switch.
      The closed end funds do have the potential for tax benefits, not be treated as a collectable. CEF also has a long history.
      I have previously thought the selectively buying when the pressure is on and the fund premium is low, or even negative, can be balanced, in frothy periods, by selling when the premium is often 10%.
      Given my peculiar situation, I have not done this, but have held CEF well over a decade.
      I am considering Bullionvault, given EJ's rec, but even his opinion seems to be shifting slightly re taxation of gold, etc, and I feel near certain that he would wish to dissuade us from viewing him as the near infallible, as he is sometimes spoken of here. Superb, yes.

I truly am hopeless!!! What a mess I make. Just like home!

Comment

Originally posted by globaleconomicollaps View Post
        First off. No. What is important is how much money you started with and how much money you finished with. That is how I decide whether to buy a stock or not.
        Second, I am occasionally blindsided by a simple comment here. This is one of those times. The concept of log returns is very deep. I have just been reading about this here:
        https://quantivity.wordpress.com/201...y-log-returns/
        I will have to research the relative log returns of gold and ETFs.
        Apologies; I do this all day, every day, hence the lack of verbosity in the comment.

Tangentially, Quantivity was always a good read. It's a shame he disappeared in a puff of smoke.

Comment

Jesse regularly posts Net Asset Value Premiums of various Precious metals trusts and funds. He normally does not include SLV or GLD, but here is the latest of his links

http://jessescrossroadscafe.blogspot...ertain_25.html

Of course, CEF and GTU publish this information daily.

Comment

Oh, I never said unaudited was any safer! BullionVault is audited daily, and physical coins may be personally audited whenever one chooses.

I will say I didn't run back to GLD.
            Last edited by astonas; 03-26-13, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X