Sugar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar

This was up on Zero Hedge and I found it so fascinating I wanted to put it up here for posterity.

Re: primitive diet---all over the map!

Are Seventh Day Adventists that multi-racial? You are taking an entire area and extrapolating it when the article specifically mentions that particular religious sect as the "blue zone" people.

The church discourages its members from the use of alcohol, tobacco or illegal drugs (compare Christianity and alcohol). In addition, some Adventists avoid coffee, tea, cola, and other beverages containing caffeine.
    cites the Adventist emphasis on health, diet, and Sabbath-keeping as primary factors for Adventist longevity.
    They live 4-8 years longer.

And, what do you know, smokers live 6.5 years less than non-smokers.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1117323/

There is no secret there.

I highly encourage you to look past the vegetarianism propaganda. They do not promote science. They promote a religion.

Comment

Re: Sugar

Originally posted by doom&gloom View Post
      This was up on Zero Hedge and I found it so fascinating I wanted to put it up here for posterity.

My uninformed and stupid opinion is that pretty much all of that sugar is going to be used as gasoline for your car. If there is any left, it will be too expensive to put in cake.
      Anyways I switched to Stevia. Can yeast eat Stevia?

Comment

Sugar is a plant food that is stripped of all its vitamins and minerals, leaving only carbohydrate.

When we eat sugar, we are giving our bodies energy in the form of carbohydrates, but also cheating our bodies out of essential nutrients that naturally occur in food. These missing nutrients are required for normal physiological function.

Then, we are mystified when we develop cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, and the thousands of other bodily ills that beset humankind.

One day humanity will wake up from this folly, and wonder how they could all have been so stupid, especially the professions charged with caring for our health.
        raja
        Boycott Big Banks Vote Out Incumbents

Comment

Originally posted by raja View Post
          Sugar is a plant food that is stripped of all its vitamins and minerals, leaving only carbohydrate.

When we eat sugar, we are giving our bodies energy in the form of carbohydrates, but also cheating our bodies out of essential nutrients that naturally occur in food. These missing nutrients are required for normal physiological function.

Then, we are mystified when we develop cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, and the thousands of other bodily ills that beset humankind.

One day humanity will wake up from this folly, and wonder how they could all have been so stupid, especially the professions charged with caring for our health.
          Regarding the part in bold: are you implying that your doctor, dentist or other health professional is advocating for you to eat lots of sugar through soft drinks, candy, cakes etc? Or that health professionals in general are advocating this? That would be completely contrary to my experience.

Comment

I usually avoid consuming sugar as much as possible; however, I have slipped a great deal lately. I have been eating a lot of cakes and stuff like that. Avoiding it so long and finally indulging has been so wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by BadJuju View Post
              I usually avoid consuming sugar as much as possible; however, I have slipped a great deal lately. I have been eating a lot of cakes and stuff like that. Avoiding it so long and finally indulging has been so wonderful.
              I've found that rather than avoiding it at all, it's easier to slowly cut down your sugar usage. You'll start tasting other ingredients (especially in home made food) a lot more once the sugar content is way down. After a while you'll find the high-sugar food taste inferior to low-sugar home made stuff.
              engineer with little (or even no) economic insight

Comment

Originally posted by DSpencer View Post
                Regarding the part in bold: are you implying that your doctor, dentist or other health professional is advocating for you to eat lots of sugar through soft drinks, candy, cakes etc? Or that health professionals in general are advocating this? That would be completely contrary to my experience.
                No, I did not say, nor do I believe, that health professionals are "avocating for you to eat lots of sugar."

Despite the fact that the dangers of sugar and refined flour are common sense, most doctors, dentists, and health professionalsand consume these unhealthy foods themselves. They do not have the common sense to do otherwise, even though they are educated people. Not only are they damaging themselves, but most people trust and follow their advice, so these "experts" are doing incredible damage to the majority of humanity.

Many health professionals probably tell their patients to "cut down" on sugars and refined foods. You know, limit yourself to one or two Cokes a day, go easy on the deserts . . . even sometimes eat whole grains. But that's like saying, "Cut down on poison." Obviously, sugar and refined foods aren't fast-acting poison like cyanide; they take years to debilitate the body. But kill you, they will.

99.9% of restaurants use sugar and white flour -- how many health professionals eat out regularly? How many health professionals use sugar and white flour on a regular basis at home? Desserts made of sugar, soft drinks, white bread, white pasta -- this way of eating is endemic, and health professionals are not an exception.

When I accuse health professionals of lacking common sense, here's what I mean.

I frequently have boys come and work on my farm. All have grown up on farms, and worked on them. During work breaks, I had said things like this:
                Suppose you owned this farm, and some businessman drove up and said, "Let me cut the grass on your fields. I'll take it away, remove some of the nutrients in my factory, then I'll bring it back to you all baled up. You can feed it to your animals over the winter. I pay you $5 a bale."
                What would you do?

The boy would think for a second, then say, "That would be stupid. If that guy takes away nutrients from the grass, my animals will get sick and maybe die. They need the nutrients in the grass. So I would tell the businessman 'No'."

Then, I tell them that's exactly what the businessment do to your food. Sugar is a white crystal from which all nutrients save carbohydrate have been taken. White flour is a whole grain from which half or so of the nutrients have been taken. They look at me in disbelief. And why not? Everybody -- including the health providers -- eats sugar and white flour. How could it be wrong if everybody is doing it?

Then, I ask them how many people do they know that are physically sick. They answer, "Most". They're all on some kind of doctor's pills. "There", I say, "is your answer".

These boys don't have a college degree, or a medical degree, and they don't have any letters after their name indicating an advanced degree. But they do have common sense. Anyone who eats sugar and refined flour does not -- or they are not using it -- or they have misplaced their trust in the "experts".
                Last edited by raja; 08-15-12, 09:08 PM.
                raja
                Boycott Big Banks Vote Out Incumbents

Comment

Originally posted by globaleconomicollaps View Post
                  My uninformed and stupid opinion is that pretty much all of that sugar is going to be used as gasoline for your car. If there is any left, it will be too expensive to put in cake.
                  Anyways I switched to Stevia. Can yeast eat Stevia?
                  Recently found out about Stevia... it was apparently banned from US of A until 2008ish, thanks to lobbying by the soda companies. Even today, FDA does not approve of Stevia as sweetener, yet approved crap like aspartame... My guess is, without the inherent energy content, yeast will not use Stevia...

I've also started consuming some honey and considering maple syrup as sweeteners...

Comment

I've also started consuming some honey and considering maple syrup as sweeteners...
                    My wife and I really like yogurt. We used to eat low fat yogurt in various fruit flavors. For the past 6 months or so we have switched to plain low fat yogurt and use fruit or honey to sweeten it. We also have found that the amount of honey we need to use has become less and less.

Comment

The non-fat craze drives me insane because non-fat foods are usually overladen with sugar to compensate. It would be nice to find some full fat yogurt that does not have added sugar.

Comment

The non-fat craze drives me insane because non-fat foods are usually overladen with sugar to compensate. It would be nice to find some full fat yogurt that does not have added sugar.
                        buy "plain" yogurt. It has no sugar. You have to add any sweetner if you want any.
                        "

Comment

redacted
                          Last edited by nedtheguy; 10-09-14, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Carbohydrate is necessary to grow the bacteria used to produce yogurt... best I can find around here is the fat-free greek yogurt that comes in a small bucket at Costco. Sugar in those yogurt isn't any worse than sugar from honey, or at least in theory.

Comment

redacted
                              Last edited by nedtheguy; 10-09-14, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X