Despite economy, Americans don't want farm work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Despite economy, Americans don't want farm work

Until we see people willing to work in the fields to their own benefit rather than lining up to collect benefits, we will not be a nation willing to get stronger through our own efforts. And certainly borrowing more to hand it out is not going to fix our problems.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Despit...92243.html?x=0

Despite economy, Americans don't want farm work
    AP Enterprise: Economy tanked, yet Americans still don't want to work in California fields

Garance Burke, Associated Press Writer, On Monday September 27, 2010, 10:05 am EDT

VISALIA, Calif. (AP) -- As the economy tanked during the past two years, a debate has raged over whether immigrants are taking jobs that Americans want. Here, amid the sweltering vineyards of the largest farm state, the answer is no.

Most Americans simply don't apply for jobs harvesting fruits and vegetables in California, where one of every eight people is out of work, according to government data for a federal seasonal farmworker program analyzed by The Associated Press.

And the few unemployed Americans who apply through official channels usually don't stay on in the fields, a point comedian Stephen Colbert -- dressed as a field hand -- has alluded to in recent broadcasts on Comedy Central.

"It's just not something that most Americans are going to pack up their bags and move here to do," said farmer Steve Fortin, who pays $10.25 an hour to foreign workers to trim strawberry plants for six weeks each summer at his nursery near the Nevada border. He has spent $3,000 this year ensuring domestic workers have first dibs on his jobs in the sparsely populated stretch of the state, advertising in newspapers and on an electronic job registry.

*snip*

Re: Despite economy, Americans don't want farm work

10.25 for a labor job is not bad, plus you get to be outdoors in the fresh air. I remember when I was younger and in HS I took jobs that paid less, a job like this could definitely build some character in teenagers, teach them the value of hard work, discipline.

Comment

At first blush, I find this really hard to believe. Is it spin/propaganda to get the public to accept open borders, or their really all these untaken jobs that American's refuse to do?

Comment

He could hire Americans. He just needs to raise the wages a bit. Of course, the way things are set up, he could not possibly sell his fruit at a profit then. Where exactly does all that gubmint farm subsidy cheese actually go?

Comment

If you're getting paid by the government to not work (e.g. welfare trap), then why get a job? Especially a physically demanding job like farm work? Even worse if it's only seasonal.

Comment

My 22 year old daughter spent the summer of 2009 in Oregon's berry fields. Yes, she was a white American female working at farm labor and she made enough money to enroll in Jr. college that fall. As an anesthesiologist I could have sent her to any university in the country but she is the kind of girl who wants to support herself and go her own way. So I suppose that makes her pretty unique among her pampered cohort. Still, her co-workers were mostly other college students so there must still be a few young Americans not on the welfare wagon.

Comment

young people typically do not have enough work history to qualify for 99 weeks of unemployment, especially thos ein college. so for those who need the money and have no "freebies" this is an honest way to make money.

Comment

Originally posted by doom&gloom View Post
                young people typically do not have enough work history to qualify for 99 weeks of unemployment, especially thos ein college. so for those who need the money and have no "freebies" this is an honest way to make money.
                Plus it is all you can eat!

Comment

Working...
                X