Oops, El Nino is back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oops, El Nino is back

I treasure every day with him because most triaditis kitties don't live this long.
    No surprise yours has, Shiny!

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
      No surprise yours has, Shiny!
      Awww, shucks.

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Originally posted by shiny! View Post
        Awww, shucks.
        Let me just say that if this thread dies on kitty love and not Canadian lefty hate, we'll all be better for it.

Comment

Originally posted by santafe2 View Post
          Let me just say that if this thread dies on kitty love and not Canadian lefty hate, we'll all be better for it.
          maybe we can springboard into a discussion about why it is so easy to love animals vs our fellow human being brothers and sisters .....

as an aside I think it is easy to confuse or devolve from sincere "righteous anger " (i.e. everyone thinks they're right) to hate ... and this has only increased as we've turned into a soundbite driven "us or them" type political system and culture

Comment

Originally posted by vinoveri View Post
            maybe we can springboard into a discussion about why it is so easy to love animals vs our fellow human being brothers and sisters .....
            Probably because... "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man." Mark Twain

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Originally posted by shiny! View Post
              Probably because... "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man." Mark Twain
              Gotta love ole Sam and his erudite and ever so accurate wit!

Comment

Why Republicans Keep Telling Everyone They’re Not Scientists

By CORAL DAVENPORT
                Our Failing Weather Infrastructure

By KATHRYN MILES
                Hard-Nosed Advice From Veteran Lobbyist: ‘Win Ugly or Lose Pretty’

Richard Berman Energy Industry Talk Secretly Taped

By ERIC LIPTON
                “Think of this as an endless war and you have to budget for it."

Comment

Our Failing Weather Infrastructure

By KATHRYN MILES
                  Thanks for all the reports Don. I wanted to take a minute to respond to this author's article as it's 100% focused on the wrong issue and is a misguided request to spend tax dollars. It may be true that our meteorological network requires upgrades but nothing could have been done in the week before the storm to stop the storm surge associated with Hurricane Sandy. Everyone in the path of Sandy was aware of the size and trajectory and experts had known for probably two decades that a storm like Sandy was possible but the political will to re-enforce the sea facing areas of New York simply did not exist. It's not even clear that global warming had anything to do with the size or odd trajectory of Sandy.

Articles like this do not help and in fact, will make it more difficult in the future to convince folks close to sea level that they need to pay for long term solutions that mitigate the ability of a large surge to overwhelm their locations or convince people to abandon lower level locations that will not be fortified. It really is maddening.

Comment

I do think the author was addressing only the weather "intelligence" side of the question, not meeting Sandy's storm surge, etc. Knowing a storm is coming doesn't negate the storm and I don't think the article posits that. Giving sufficient warning of what is coming is important, for defensive measures, evacuations, etc. Now that I live in hurricane country, instead of earthquake land, it's frightening to imagine what it must have been like with little or no warning. The budget cuts, placed in the context of the other posted shenanigans, equals stormy weather. The system appears broken . . . .

Comment

I do think the author was addressing only the weather "intelligence" side of the question, not meeting Sandy's storm surge, etc. Knowing a storm is coming doesn't negate the storm and I don't think the article posits that. Giving sufficient warning of what is coming is important, for defensive measures, evacuations, etc. Now that I live in hurricane country, instead of earthquake land, it's frightening to imagine what it must have been like with little or no warning. The budget cuts, placed in the context of the other posted shenanigans, equals stormy weather. The system appears broken . . . .
                      If you review this ABC News report from 3 days before Sandy hit New York it seems clear that anyone paying attention would know the severity of the storm. "Monster storm", "super storm Sandy", "storm of the century". "once in a lifetime storm", etc. Clearly forecasting was not the issue. Twenty people drowned in the storm surge area. The author was conflating forecasting and preparation issues.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/hurricane-s...ry?id=17570147

Comment

"I am not a scientist"

Another Frank Luntz masterpiece.

Comment

If we get cooling over the next 10 years because of the solar cycle, and it is enough of an effect to hide the CO2 warming effects, will it be too late then?

Global warming is a hard sell when the Great Lakes just froze over for the first time in decades. If this is the peak in temperatures globally for a decade or so, then there will be no momentum at all for change.

The realistic time frame for real carbon reduction is thus 15 years from today. Is that too late?

Comment

Originally posted by aaron View Post
                            If we get cooling over the next 10 years because of the solar cycle, and it is enough of an effect to hide the CO2 warming effects, will it be too late then?

Global warming is a hard sell when the Great Lakes just froze over for the first time in decades. If this is the peak in temperatures globally for a decade or so, then there will be no momentum at all for change.

The realistic time frame for real carbon reduction is thus 15 years from today. Is that too late?
                            It appears that we're beginning a new warming cycle as 2014 should be the warmest year on record worldwide. But looking at the US electorate after yesterday's elections, clearly global warming is way down the list of concerns for Americans still willing to vote. So warming or no warming, not enough people in the US care about this issue to make substantive changes.

As for answering the question about when it's too late, that depends. It's already too late for coral reefs. The Great Barrier Reef has about 50 years by most estimates. It's too late for the Marshall Islands. It's too late for beach homes along the mid-Atlantic where sea level rise is occurring 3X faster than the world average. There's some poetic justice in this outcome since Washington DC is right in the middle of this issue. It's too late for New Orleans. It's too late for Miami. It's probably too late for Phoenix, Las Vegas and other cities in the arid Southwest as they will have the opposite problem, not enough water.

If you want an estimate of when it will be so bad people will care, it seems like we'll need another 50ppm CO2 and time for our current 400ppm to take effect. That will get us close to 2050.

If you want one land area to watch, make that Bangladesh. As sea levels rise, millions of Bangladeshis will be displaced as sea water creeps into their wells and fields.

Comment

Originally posted by santafe2 View Post
                              ...It's too late for New Orleans. It's too late for Miami. It's probably too late for Phoenix, Las Vegas and other cities in the arid Southwest as they will have the opposite problem, not enough water.
                              So where do I start looking for the soon to be beachfront property once the water rises. Only half joking here .

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsman View Post
                                So where do I start looking for the soon to be beachfront property once the water rises. Only half joking here .
                                I'm looking, too. I want to live somewhere where the water's not likely to run out and I won't die without A/C or a heat. A power failure here in the summer can be deadly.

A friend in Bellingham, WA keeps trying to get me to move to the Puget Sound region. Sounds tempting. It sure is pretty up there...

Comment

Working...
                                X