Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we entering a new Maunder Minimum (mini ice age)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we entering a new Maunder Minimum (mini ice age)?

Scientists say that declining activity in sun spots and solar flares now, at what is supposed to be the peak of the solar cycle, is the most dramatic seen in over a century. At this rate, we might be in another Maunder Minimum (mini ice age) within about 40 years.

Short video which I can't insert here, but take a look:

BBC News: Has the Sun Gone to Sleep?

What think you iTulipers?

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Re: Are we entering a new Maunder Minimum (mini ice age)?

Hi,
    I took a look at the video. I am worried exactly to the same level as I was before I saw that video (for the record:not very much), because I have not seen any hard evidence of any danger.

When I hear a 'getting colder because of the sun but offseting this with man-made global warming so who knows' argument I can't give any relavance to this video. I would urge you to look up my previous post for more info.

I know there was a great deal of funding thrown at scientific community to 'prepare' for the coming peak of this solar cycle, since we have this big en. grid that can be effected by big outputs. I do know that an intense solar activity can cause serious problems in communications (i.e. GPS sat data get all scrambled, because of increased ionospheric refraction). I take this anouncement as going into the other extreme.

I am however more worried about our present understanding of the sun. We don't have a clue to generalize a bit. Fusion theory? Explain the colder sun spots then. Or how can the T in the corona be 1 milion degrees, while on the surface is a cuple of thousand. If fusion is really ocurring in the sun and we are getting heavier elements, how can we NOT brake the rules of thermodynamics, when we know that energy shuld be consumed and not released in this process? There are much more incosistancies, but just to name the big ones.

Unfortunately I have left you with more questions than answers...
    Last edited by vjakopin; 01-17-14, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I do not believe the sun has gone to sleep. It is us yanks that have gone to sleep - read mesmerization with the Gore hocus. The last time a high temperature was measured was 1998. The planet appears to now be entering a cooling phase - but this is not certain yet.

Climate change is a natural ebb and flow of the planet. Us humans can control pollution (strongly recommended) but not the climate. Nature is gargantuanly more massive than us puny humans. Think Krakatoa, Mt St Helens, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by springbok View Post
        Climate change is a natural ebb and flow of the planet. Us humans can control pollution (strongly recommended) but not the climate. Nature is gargantuanly more massive than us puny humans. Think Krakatoa, Mt St Helens, etc.
        It would be great if that were true. Individually we are puny but puny times 7 billion thinking animals is a force to deal with. I suspect we'll all get that in much less than a geologic time scale.

Comment

Originally posted by santafe2 View Post
          It would be great if that were true. Individually we are puny but puny times 7 billion thinking animals is a force to deal with. I suspect we'll all get that in much less than a geologic time scale.
          well... theres at least one effect that IS undeniable - and the evidence of this effect becomes more obvious by the month

but the 'funniest' reaction is what we're NOT getting from the beltway - even after the money has all been spent, on a solution to the biggest impediment to progress on The Only REAL Alternative (to reverting to an agrarian economy & 'lifestyle' of living in cold dark mud/grass huts...)

Comment

Working...
          X